2016 calving season on CBJ ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule":1c28bdxn said:
love the scenery! what kind of pine trees are those? cows appear to be enjoying the grass, especially that heifer in the 4th picture. She's a little tank!
These are loblolly pines. Planted them in 1987...not far from saw timber...The single tree in one picture is leftover from a fire we had in 2000 where a guy started burning a brush pile without checking the weather. A front blew through changing the wind direction and burned 80 acres of our pines.. Fenced it off and we call it burned pine field. Grows grass way better than it did pines and if any were going to burn, it was a good choice it was that part..
It was the year of the heifers. Planning on keeping none, but i bet we do..

Muddy, what are tags going to get me? Never needed to tag the calves. I do tag any calf that we doctor just so i can keep tabs of it. I'll tag twins if they are both black, just so i know they are both being cared for. And i tag graft calves... But as far as needing tags on our calves, i've never needed it.

cowgirl8":c2l860bp said:
Gators Rule":c2l860bp said:
love the scenery! what kind of pine trees are those? cows appear to be enjoying the grass, especially that heifer in the 4th picture. She's a little tank!
These are loblolly pines. Planted them in 1987...not far from saw timber...The single tree in one picture is leftover from a fire we had in 2000 where a guy started burning a brush pile without checking the weather. A front blew through changing the wind direction and burned 80 acres of our pines.. Fenced it off and we call it burned pine field. Grows grass way better than it did pines and if any were going to burn, it was a good choice it was that part..
It was the year of the heifers. Planning on keeping none, but i bet we do..

Muddy, what are tags going to get me? Never needed to tag the calves. I do tag any calf that we doctor just so i can keep tabs of it. I'll tag twins if they are both black, just so i know they are both being cared for. And i tag graft calves... But as far as needing tags on our calves, i've never needed it.

do you tag bull calves your thinking about keeping so you know what dam they are from ??

If I keep a bull calf I've already watched him for months. I know his mother/father and herd he's from. No need to tag.

cowgirl8":367u4m9r said:
If I keep a bull calf I've already watched him for months. I know his mother/father and herd he's from. No need to tag.
What about the heifers?

MNBelties":163o8i6n said:
cowgirl8":163o8i6n said:
What about the heifers?
Actually, i dont have a cow i would not keep a calf out of.

M-5":1n8pe6xw said:
cowgirl8":1n8pe6xw said:

guess you've never had cows swap babies before or if you did you wouldn't know it.
Not likely in adult cows, maybe heifers but we dont usually keep heifers calves. We tag heifers we keep after we wean them or sometime after but before bulls go on them.
Sometimes i wonder if some of you actually have ever been around cows....????? Its not that difficult.
We kept 2 bulls this year, one is out of a black w/f cow, her name is Monster Calf or 959. She reigns the winner for the biggest calf ever in CBJs history. Since, we put her in a different pasture and her calves have been moderate but bulls we keep out of her will only go on large cows. She has a dandy of a calf this year and he's out of our experimental red bull. The other is out of 600, he's a black w/f bull out of BBJr..Both kept for their outstanding growth. Dont need tags on calves, i know my cattle...The bulls will be thrown into the bull pasture in August, they will live on moderate pasture and moderate hay over the winter. We do not feed our bulls feed. This will be their first test at how they adjust. If they fall apart, we sell....But, that rarely happens. I'm guessing they'll grow like crazy despite not being fed special..

So you didn't have any helper bulls in the cow pastures with your favorite bulls? And how come you didn't post pics of your best calves?

Muddy":7nx53e6i said:
So you didn't have any helper bulls in the cow pastures with your favorite bulls? And how come you didn't post pics of your best calves?
So the calves pictured are no good?
We had 2 bulls in with the bulls we kept. So no helper bulls with them, BBjr and SS (Secret Sauce)lol.....Easy to tell who's whose..
And again, i dont put a bull out that i wouldnt want to keep a calf out of... unless they prove to be aggressive..We've raised every cow on our place now. The only cows we've bought were show cattle years ago.

cowgirl8":2i4ivrjw said:
M-5":2i4ivrjw said:
cowgirl8":2i4ivrjw said:

guess you've never had cows swap babies before or if you did you wouldn't know it.
Not likely in adult cows, maybe heifers but we dont usually keep heifers calves. We tag heifers we keep after we wean them or sometime after but before bulls go on them.
Sometimes i wonder if some of you actually have ever been around cows....????? Its not that difficult.
We kept 2 bulls this year, one is out of a black w/f cow, her name is Monster Calf or 959. She reigns the winner for the biggest calf ever in CBJs history. Since, we put her in a different pasture and her calves have been moderate but bulls we keep out of her will only go on large cows. She has a dandy of a calf this year and he's out of our experimental red bull. The other is out of 600, he's a black w/f bull out of BBJr..Both kept for their outstanding growth. Dont need tags on calves, i know my cattle...The bulls will be thrown into the bull pasture in August, they will live on moderate pasture and moderate hay over the winter. We do not feed our bulls feed. This will be their first test at how they adjust. If they fall apart, we sell....But, that rarely happens. I'm guessing they'll grow like crazy despite not being fed special..

Insulating by insinuating People that ask questions have never been around cows. It happens with grown cows also If you tagged you would see it from time to time. . You might pick out the chrome ones but when 50 black bulls are in a lot aint know way in heII you can match every single one of them. Oh and by the way Ive been around a heII of a lot more cows than you married into miss priss.

One bull we didnt cut....Still has a ways to go to be a bull....But his growth makes him worth watching.

This is the black w/f bull....both are April calves

M-5":rp4pl2qp said:
Insulating by insinuating People that ask questions have never been around cows. It happens with grown cows also If you tagged you would see it from time to time. . You might pick out the chrome ones but when 50 black bulls are in a lot aint know way in heII you can match every single one of them. Oh and by the way Ive been around a heII of a lot more cows than you married into miss priss.
There is no situation that i'd be asking the question you 2 guys seem to think are good questions. It makes you look inexperienced.. I know its to start arguments, but in the end, it makes the few of you look kind of ignorant. Think before you ask....lol BTW, if i have a pen of 50 steers, they are headed to the sale and a tag is just going to be money down the drain....dont care who he's nursed, doesnt matter. We dont tag our calves, get over it....

Muddy":shy7fov7 said:
The red bull calf is much better looking than most calves on here.
You can see why we kept his father...got a hand full of those red calves out of that bull, most are heifers though......

cowgirl8":2rudsm0r said:
Muddy":2rudsm0r said:
The red bull calf is much better looking than most calves on here.
You can see why we kept his father...got a hand full of those red calves out of that bull, most are heifers though......
So it's only one decent calf out of one of these helper bulls?

Cowgirl8 in recent posts you say you have 200+ momma's???? You are trying to tell us you can tell them all apart and who's the sire,dam, and DOB???

RiverHills":3kdx5ki7 said:
Cowgirl8 in recent posts you say you have 200+ momma's???? You are trying to tell us you can tell them all apart and who's the sire,dam, and DOB???
Of the bulls i keep. I know their age by the cows tag number...

Latest posts