2017 Agriculture Census results......................

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Advocates hoped census would find diversity in agriculture. It found old white people.

The Agriculture Department's newly released 2017 Census of Agriculture is 820 pages of graphs, tables and puzzling shifts (half as many llamas but the number of minks rose toward 1 million). This census comes out every five years and is the most accurate and detailed look at America's vast, complicated and shrinking agricultural sector.

Its data is used by those who serve farmers and rural communities — but it also shows who farms and what challenges they face. Those challenges, farmers and their advocates say, are legion.

A central theme of this census appears to be a hollowing out of the middle: All categories of midsize farms declined over the past five years. Farmer's ages skewed older, leaving questions about what happens when they age out.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today's most popular stories on The Washington Post

"We're not going to suddenly attract 40-year-olds," said Jeff Tripician, president of Perdue Premium Meat, the parent company of beef, lamb and pork producer Niman Ranch. "We have seen a 30-year decline in almost every single metric. They're all bad. The number of jobs lost, the average net income down 45 percent since 2013. There's no news here. It's an acceleration of bad. What have we done to fix this?"

It doesn't all live up to Tripician's apocalyptic vision, though there's cause for concern.

The number of farm operations dropped 3.2 percent to 2.04 million. Total acreage farmed nationwide dropped 1.6 percent, while the average farm size increased by the same percentage, to 441 acres.

Industry consolidation continued. The number of dairy farms dropped 15 percent from 2012, but the number of milk cows rose. The National Agricultural Statistics Service, which compiles the census, indicates that just 105,453 farms produced 75 percent of all sales in 2017, down from 119,908 in 2012.
Almost as a rebuttal to this get-big-or-get-out pattern, this census revealed a surge in the number of farms below nine acres. The number of pint-size pastoralist operations rose about 22 percent from 2012 to 2017, reaching about 273,000 farms.

The numbers aren't strictly comparable due to a methodology change, but the number of farmers and ranchers below the age of 35 is also up, rising 11 percent to about 285,000. They're thoroughly outnumbered by the 396,000 producers age 75 and older, however.
Beginning producers (those with experience in farming of 10 years or fewer) make up 27 percent.

Still, the average age of U.S. farm producers in 2017 was 57.5 years, creeping up from 56.3 years in 2012.

"As farmers age out and retire," Sophie Ackoff of the National Young Farmers Coalition, a nonprofit that advocates for young farmers, "we're not adding enough new farmers to make up for it. That's why we need to focus on technical service and loans and grant programs. We need younger farmers to succeed because there aren't enough of them."

But there were pockets of real growth in this census, which was originally scheduled for February but postponed by the partial government shutdown early in the year. The ranks of organic farmers swelled from about 14,000 to about 18,000, and total sales of domestic organic product more than doubled. An average organic farm sold about $401,000 of goods in 2017, up from $218,000 five years earlier.

While the number of male producers declined 1.7 percent, the number of female producers increased nearly 27 percent to about 1.23 million. This may reflect changes in how farmers were counted this go-round, said Erin Foster West, federal policy director for National Young Farmers Coalition.

The census used to ask for data on three operators on a farm as well the principal operator. They've done away with the principal operator question — perhaps a vestige of a patriarchal hierarchy where Grandpa or Dad was in charge but everyone in the family helped — and count up to four producers on each farm.

"This meant that, previously, it may not have included young farmers and female partners. They might not have made it into the census, but we think they've always been there," Foster West says.

But even this more accurate count shows farmers are still overwhelmingly white. Ninety-five percent of producers are white, 3.3 percent are Hispanic, and 1.7 percent are Native American or Native Alaskan. Other ethnic groups include African Americans (1.3 percent), Asians (0.6 percent), Native Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders (0.1 percent) and "more than one race" (0.8 percent).

Regardless of race, only two out of every five American farm producers (1.42 million) list farming as their primary job. Almost as many, 1.37 million, spend 200 days or more each year working outside of the farm.

Ackoff points to young and new farmers whose strategy is cooperative or multifarmer-owned farms. Multiple owners mean profits are spread thinner, often necessitating an outside income source.

"Friends have decided it's easier to farm together," she says. "It's a response to high labor costs. You train people and they leave. Having another co-farm owner is a much more stable labor source for your farm."

But with labor and input costs up and the total market value of products sold down, this census offers many reasons American farmers are hedging their bets with a day job.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/advocates-hoped-census-would-find-diversity-in-agriculture-it-found-old-white-people/ar-BBVTXjc?li=BBnb7Kz

BBVTKGP.img

BBVTKGR.img

BBVTUI8.img

BBVTKGY.img

I can see in the near future the government handing out money to minority, and "young yuppie" to start farming, because there are to many old white dudes, and we need more diversity, and new freash ideas.
Just what we need more of...

sim.-ang.king said:
I can see in the near future the government handing out money to minority, and "young yuppie" to start farming, because there are to many old white dudes, and we need more diversity, and new freash ideas.
In the furure?? Surely you jest, that's been SOP for years and years. Anybody that's not white is a minority and the yuppies you speak of are categorized as "beginner farmers". Many grants are available only to minorities and beginner farmers and those two groups are given preference in all other cost shares, grants, payouts, etc.

JMJ Farms said:
Can I identify as a minority?
Got any Indian blood in you? We kicked them out of their home, burned their tepee, gave them blankets riddled with European diseases, took their land, treated them bad and they are deserving, but never seem to complain.

ga.prime said:
sim.-ang.king said:
In the furure?? Surely you jest, that's been SOP for years and years. Anybody that's not white is a minority and the yuppies you speak of are categorized as "beginner farmers". Many grants are available only to minorities and beginner farmers and those two groups are given preference in all other cost shares, grants, payouts, etc.
Yep, and for 'back yard farmers', USDA will guarantee no money down home loans.
https://thelendersnetwork.com/usda-home-loans/

If I recall correctly, when the census forms were mailed out there was a highly vocal sect of CT members in favor of tossing the census forms in the nearest trash can.

ga.prime said:
If I recall correctly, when the census forms were mailed out there was a highly vocal sect of CT members in favor of tossing the census forms in the nearest trash can.
Yep and tho I do fill it out & send it in, I still think they want to know too much information.

greybeard said:
ga.prime said:
Yep and tho I do fill it out & send it in, I still think they want to know too much information.
I's a giant aggravation to read through and fill out, having to look back over records and whatnot. I called the help line last time and a nice woman answered and I asked her "exactly how much of this thing do I need to read and answer?" It turned out there were just 3 or 4 sections or some such fraction that I needed to answer. That was good, saved me a lot of wasted time. Then I just ball parked the answers. Everybody's happy! :D

ga.prime said:
Indians get preference above all other minorities. Anybody at the NRCS office will tell you that.

The Holy Grail are Eskimos. At one time any Eskimo requests were to be forwarded directly to the central office. Don't know if that is still the case but wouldn't doubt it.

Jogeephus said:
ga.prime said:
Indians get preference above all other minorities. Anybody at the NRCS office will tell you that.

The Holy Grail are Eskimos. At one time any Eskimo requests were to be forwarded directly to the central office. Don't know if that is still the case but wouldn't doubt it.
They can grow some gigantic cabbage in the land of the midnight sun. I've seen the pictures.

Jogeephus said:
ga.prime said:

What are the qualifying factors to be an Eskimo? Can I simply identify as one? Or so I need to don the proper attire? Can you be an Eskimo in Georgia, the land of the burning sun? Things are getting critical. I'm up for anything that doesn't involve going to the pokey.

I've got it. I'm gonna get my wife to apply for something as an female Native American Eskimo. That should pretty much be a guarantee for approval. I'm about to get rich :lol2:

ga.prime said:
Jogeephus said:
ga.prime said:

They can grow some gigantic cabbage in the land of the midnight sun. I've seen the pictures.

They sure can. They also can grow some amazing weed. Hemp farmers in Georgia don't stand a chance. I think their claim to fame is what called Alaskan Thunderf#&k. Google it.

JMJ Farms said:
Jogeephus said:
ga.prime said:

What are the qualifying factors to be an Eskimo? Can I simply identify as one? Or so I need to don the proper attire? Can you be an Eskimo in Georgia, the land of the burning sun? Things are getting critical. I'm up for anything that doesn't involve going to the pokey.

I've got it. I'm gonna get my wife to apply for something as an female Native American Eskimo. That should pretty much be a guarantee for approval. I'm about to get rich :lol2:

I don't see a problem with it at all. I believe you can identify as anything your heart desires in this country except for a nontax paying citizen. That is not allowed and will land you in jail unless you are in the politcial elite.

ga.prime said:
greybeard said:
ga.prime said:
I's a giant aggravation to read through and fill out, having to look back over records and whatnot. I called the help line last time and a nice woman answered and I asked her "exactly how much of this thing do I need to read and answer?" It turned out there were just 3 or 4 sections or some such fraction that I needed to answer. That was good, saved me a lot of wasted time. Then I just ball parked the answers. Everybody's happy! :D

I don't mind the 5 or 10 year census, but here we have "surveys" once or twice a year.. They'll ring your phone off the hook, try and make it sound like it's a legal obligation to answer (surveys are not, the census is).. and as a small time farmer you get nothing out of it. They wanna keep tabs on every cow you have, every pound of grain, etc.. and who's going to benefit from this information? BIG producers are going to bet on futures knowing what other people have in stock. For 2 months of the year we pretty much turn off the ringer on the phone. Apparently small retail companies have to deal with this monthly or quarterly, because you know.. they just have to know up to the minute employment and sales statistics. :mad: :mad:

Latest posts