6 month old Brahman bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

griffin214

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and looking for some advice and/or suggestions….

We just got a new 6 month old Brahman bull calf we are trying to break but having some issues. When we brought him home, we had an issue with him running away. As soon as we got him off the trailer, he bolted, went through our fences and wound up on our neighbors 600 acres. After finally tracking him down, we had to hire a cowboy to go out and rope him and bring him home. Now we have them in a 12 x 12 stall trying to break him. For the first few days, he was very aggressive, and every time we went near the stall he would run towards us and headbutt the stall. Now, after about a week, he will slowly approach us and let us rub on his head and a little bit on his neck. Most of the time it is if we are hand feeding him hay. My issue is that he is still running toward us and trying to headbutt us whenever he gets the chance. We have yet to go into the stall with him because of how aggressive he is being. Rope halter on, and we are able to grab it and tie him, which we've been doing a couple of times a day. This has not helped with the headbutting situation.
I would like to be able to go into the stall with him, but he seems pretty aggressive. I would also like to be able to let him out but I'm worried he's going to takeoff again.
One other thing, when we first picked him up, he was as sweet as could be. My daughter was able to walk him into the trailer and he was fine. as soon as we got home with him, and she went in the trailer to unload him as when he started headbutting her and being aggressive.
My daughter has broke many steers in the past 10 years for her and her brothers 4-H projects. She's never had this kind of problem so we're not exactly sure how to handle it. We've also never had a Brahman before or a bull. I just want to get this nipped in the bud before he is bigger and it gets out of hand. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? Also, we are planning on helping him a bull so should we get a nose ring put on him now ?
Thanks in advance for your help

Do you have other cattle or why did you get a bull? Is this supposed to be a show calf? Do you have an option of putting a bovine buddy with him?

I read he is 6 months old. Daughter walked him on the trailer at his former home.
Was he already weaned at the old place or was he still nursing when you got him? Does "walked him on the trailer" mean that he had a halter on and she led him on with the halter? Was he already somewhat halter broken?

If he was not weaned, it is understandable that he would be anxious about missing his mom and being in a strange place. Once a calf breaks free from a halter and escapes, there is learned behavior that gets more difficult to solve. How big is the calf? Whether he is 300 pounds or 600 pounds, he has a strength and weight advantage over your daughter. Just making assumptions - might be better to leave him alone in the stall for a while to get use to his new home. Taken away from mom, loaded on a trailer, escapes, cowboy ropes him and brings him back. Might be a reason for his behavior. Give him some time. Don't try to pet him or touch him or tie him up for a while. Just give feed and hay and water and keep a little distance and not much commotion. Adding a nose ring now would probably not be the best approach. Many times, aggressive behavior is due to the animal being scared, not from being mean. True for cows, dogs and people.

You said "Now we have them in a 12 x 12 stall trying to break him". Is he alone or with a buddy? As mentioned, he could probably use a friend.

What is the plan for this calf?

You don't want to "rub on his head"...

Bovine psychology 101

And if he's truly aggressive then I'd never keep him for a breeding bull, or for that matter for anything else. Bulls are to dangerous when they are thought to be "broke", and any animal that size when mature and shows aggression isn't worth having.

Do you have other cattle or why did you get a bull? Is this supposed to be a show calf? Do you have an option of putting a bovine buddy with him?
Yes. We have 3 steers and 3 heifers. And yes my daughter would like to show him.
I have been putting another steer in the section with him so he has a buddy they just aren't together.

I read he is 6 months old. Daughter walked him on the trailer at his former home.
Was he already weaned at the old place or was he still nursing when you got him? Does "walked him on the trailer" mean that he had a halter on and she led him on with the halter? Was he already somewhat halter broken?

If he was not weaned, it is understandable that he would be anxious about missing his mom and being in a strange place. Once a calf breaks free from a halter and escapes, there is learned behavior that gets more difficult to solve. How big is the calf? Whether he is 300 pounds or 600 pounds, he has a strength and weight advantage over your daughter. Just making assumptions - might be better to leave him alone in the stall for a while to get use to his new home. Taken away from mom, loaded on a trailer, escapes, cowboy ropes him and brings him back. Might be a reason for his behavior. Give him some time. Don't try to pet him or touch him or tie him up for a while. Just give feed and hay and water and keep a little distance and not much commotion. Adding a nose ring now would probably not be the best approach. Many times, aggressive behavior is due to the animal being scared, not from being mean. True for cows, dogs and people.

You said "Now we have them in a 12 x 12 stall trying to break him". Is he alone or with a buddy? As mentioned, he could probably use a friend.

What is the plan for this calf?
He was weaned and we put a halter on him when we picked him up. The people we bought him from had already started handling him a bit. He is about 300lbs. Once we got him back we did let him sit for a week and now he will come up to us and smell us when we are by his stall. He lets us pet hi but like I said he still tries to head butt sometimes. It's more like if we are standing by the stall he puts his head down and runs towards where we are standing but if we don't move he stops. It's really strange.
He is alone in his stall, that was a typo but we do put another steer in the section where he is to give him a buddy.
The plan was to show him.

Hi, I'm new here and looking for some advice and/or suggestions….

We just got a new 6 month old Brahman bull calf we are trying to break but having some issues. When we brought him home, we had an issue with him running away. As soon as we got him off the trailer, he bolted, went through our fences and wound up on our neighbors 600 acres. After finally tracking him down, we had to hire a cowboy to go out and rope him and bring him home. Now we have them in a 12 x 12 stall trying to break him. For the first few days, he was very aggressive, and every time we went near the stall he would run towards us and headbutt the stall. Now, after about a week, he will slowly approach us and let us rub on his head and a little bit on his neck. Most of the time it is if we are hand feeding him hay. My issue is that he is still running toward us and trying to headbutt us whenever he gets the chance. We have yet to go into the stall with him because of how aggressive he is being. Rope halter on, and we are able to grab it and tie him, which we've been doing a couple of times a day. This has not helped with the headbutting situation.
I would like to be able to go into the stall with him, but he seems pretty aggressive. I would also like to be able to let him out but I'm worried he's going to takeoff again.
One other thing, when we first picked him up, he was as sweet as could be. My daughter was able to walk him into the trailer and he was fine. as soon as we got home with him, and she went in the trailer to unload him as when he started headbutting her and being aggressive.
My daughter has broke many steers in the past 10 years for her and her brothers 4-H projects. She's never had this kind of problem so we're not exactly sure how to handle it. We've also never had a Brahman before or a bull. I just want to get this nipped in the bud before he is bigger and it gets out of hand. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? Also, we are planning on helping him a bull so should we get a nose ring put on him now ?
Thanks in advance for your help
*I should have added he does have other cows around him all the time. He is just in a stall and they are not. But they can see and sniff each other.

Put the friendliest steer you have in with him... Let him see that you are no threat to him. See that you are a good guy, feeding etc...

Bulls should NEVER be petted from the front of the head... Rub his neck, back, between his ears... where ever... FROM THE SIDE...... it is a dominance thing with a bull... They don't have to be mean it just is a bull thing to always go at anyone / anything with their head first...

Why show a bull??? And is this for purebred shows or other shows? Many places do not allow a bull to be shown after a certain age by 4-H or FFA or other groups... because a kid can't stop them if they take a notion... because of hormones... a steer is not stopable if they really want to "go" ... but they are not dealing with raging bull hormones...
And every show that I have seen, read about, requires a nose ring after a certain age...
I don't show... so am not up on the particulars... but a nose ring is about the only hope anyone has to stop a bull that takes a notion for any reason.....
Not trying to be negative.... but reasonable and concerned for safety. We have 6-10 bulls on the farm for breeding and I can load just about any one I want and deal with them out to pastures and such... so I have a little experience.... there are many on here with alot more experience... but a kid and a bull can be a "not so good" thing...

My daughter said he is only 5 months old and maybe more than 300lbs. Hard for me to tell.
Why was he weaned so early? And reckon when he was weaned? You said when y'all went to get him, your daughter walked him into the trailer. You really need to go back in to your profile and add your location. I have been wondering where you are from, that kids show bulls?

First, whenever you buy any calf that you have plans to show...never, ever haul them alone. You scared the bejeebers out of him. That is why he ran away. Too late now, but tuck that info away and remember it.
Jan is correct. Youth cannot show (in youth shows) with a bull over a certain age. Here. It's not over 6 months.
For open shows, bulls have to have a nose lead if born before 1.1 current yr.
And Jan is absolutely correct. NEVER pet on face/head. That is asking them to push back. You are challenging him.
300# is very light for that age. Not sure he is what you want.
Edit. I see you posted his pic. Looks like he is in good condition for his size.
Did he come with papers?
I do not believe there are any open shows that would have a class for a commercial bull.

Last edited:

Latest posts