Critique this bull calf. 10 month old Beefmaster.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sotex

Reaction score
He's a 10 month old Beefmaster. I am considering getting a young Beefmaster bull. Let me know what y'all think.

He looks plenty thick in that picture. Most beefmaster I've seen I really like. His top could be better. He doesn't have a lot of extra sheath and that's a plus. The bull to left I don't like at all in that pic. Is he the sire?

I think it's a "time will tell"

U opened a can of worms btw.
Look forward to comments!

He looks plenty thick in that picture. Most beefmaster I've seen I really like. His top could be better. He doesn't have a lot of extra sheath and that's a plus. The bull to left I don't like at all in that pic. Is he the sire?

I think it's a "time will tell"

U opened a can of worms btw.
Look forward to comments!
The one in the pic is a half brother. Here's a pic of his sire. Not sure if the zoom is right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303-220034.png
    Screenshot_20240303-220034.png
    509.4 KB · Views: 45
How did you go from an Angus bull to that?
I guess I thought I had made up my mind to just put out black calves but I've always noticed how Beefmasters seem to flesh out pretty well on just grass. I'm hoping to produce calves that'll finish out well on grass alone so kind of thinking about going with a beefmaster bull.

I guess I thought I had made up my mind to just put out black calves but I've always noticed how Beefmasters seem to flesh out pretty well on just grass. I'm hoping to produce calves that'll finish out well on grass alone so kind of thinking about going with a beefmaster bull.
When you say finish out on grass, do you mean keeping for freezer beef or for weaning and going to the auction barn?

On either, a breed will not be better than another breed. Even with in breeds you have to find lines or breeders that breed animals that work for you.

You can see my posts on here about running Beefmaster Bulls and Angus Bulls right down the road from each other, not terribly far from you. One breed does not out perform the other on grass. Even if that BM bull puts up the same pounds as the BA bull, that BA calf will bring more dollars every single time.

That BM bull is not going to do your cows justice. It will cost you a lot of money.

Last edited:
I don't like the leg set on the bottom calf that is nursing, but I am trying to see how much weight your bull carries comparing to this one and what seems to be their body type. But these other two bull calves carry more weight in muscle across the top as your bull calf has an A frame, where he has a ridge and if you notice right behind the shoulders at the heart girth, he is sunk in a great deal. When you see that sink in area, and a back that has a peak across it, he is missing a lot of muscle in this area.
Also, if you were to outline each bull calf that I posted, the area that contains the shoulder area on your calf is much smaller. He has a short shoulder and the muscle is light. I point this out because the weight he is missing in muscle if he is going to be a commercial bull and not seed stock bull, he is going to cheat you on the weights of your calves. There is a lot of muscle that is in the shoulder and the heart girth and upper back area that adds to the weights of your calves going across the scale. Just look at each calf you have and see if you have one that flows smoothly back from his shoulder to this rib cage like these other two do as that is all muscle and adds dollars to your pocket. I have heard some people say, "Well I am not looking for a show animal," but you want him not to have narrow heart girth area from the top of his back to right behind the shoulders. You want him full because that is what kind of calf he will make for you when you get him. Some of these beef master bulls are heavy duty and don't cheat yourself because if he is herd bull, he will be your calf crop. I bet if you have more beef masters, you can find one that is fuller. His weak top line shows lack of muscling all the way back which also includes many of your good cuts of meat as well. Make sure he good legs and a good leg set when you find the right one. One thing that I do like better on your bull is that his rump muscle ties down low on his hock in the rear. That is a good trait as it goes all the way into his hock where as the others have a shorter muscle that stops way above this hock. So, you want it all. The other bulls could benefit from having your bulls rump, but your bull could benefit the front end of the other two.

I don't like the leg set on the bottom calf that is nursing, but I am trying to see how much weight your bull carries comparing to this one and what seems to be their body type. But these other two bull calves carry more weight in muscle across the top as your bull calf has an A frame, where he has a ridge and if you notice right behind the shoulders at the heart girth, he is sunk in a great deal. When you see that sink in area, and a back that has a peak across it, he is missing a lot of muscle in this area.
Also, if you were to outline each bull calf that I posted, the area that contains the shoulder area on your calf is much smaller. He has a short shoulder and the muscle is light. I point this out because the weight he is missing in muscle if he is going to be a commercial bull and not seed stock bull, he is going to cheat you on the weights of your calves. There is a lot of muscle that is in the shoulder and the heart girth and upper back area that adds to the weights of your calves going across the scale. Just look at each calf you have and see if you have one that flows smoothly back from his shoulder to this rib cage like these other two do as that is all muscle and adds dollars to your pocket. I have heard some people say, "Well I am not looking for a show animal," but you want him not to have narrow heart girth area from the top of his back to right behind the shoulders. You want him full because that is what kind of calf he will make for you when you get him. Some of these beef master bulls are heavy duty and don't cheat yourself because if he is herd bull, he will be your calf crop. I bet if you have more beef masters, you can find one that is fuller. His weak top line shows lack of muscling all the way back which also includes many of your good cuts of meat as well. Make sure he good legs and a good leg set when you find the right one. One thing that I do like better on your bull is that his rump muscle ties down low on his hock in the rear. That is a good trait as it goes all the way into his hock where as the others have a shorter muscle that stops way above this hock. So, you want it all. The other bulls could benefit from having your bulls rump, but your bull could benefit the front end of the other two.
Thank you for the honest opinion. I was wondering if those shoulders should be a concern or if they might catch up later. After looking at several pictures of him I can't convince myself that those shoulders are thick enough.
Sounds like you had the same concern about them so I'll probably end up passing on this bull.

Now this is where I fall in the bucket of slop. I call a rat tail one that has no hair at all. I have a good heifer here at the house that has absolutely no hair and it loos like someone just told electric clippers and shaved all the hair off. It looks awful. But her hair is thicker than any of the rest of the cattle on the place. I will just keep my fingers crossed that she does not pass that to her offspring.

Thank you for the honest opinion. I was wondering if those shoulders should be a concern or if they might catch up later. After looking at several pictures of him I can't convince myself that those shoulders are thick enough.
Sounds like you had the same concern about them so I'll probably end up passing on this bull.
Sotex, our cattle have the ability to produce a good bull and then they have bulls that we would not dare put out with our good cows as they will only drag them down. I have had my share of those as well. I am not cutting your cattle at all. I too have sent bulls to the sale barn because they fell off the cliff somewhere along the way. Bulls are so expensive to buy now, and we hope that we can raise one. Find a good picture of bull the age of your bulls that you are looking at and compare them, See if your bull is as thick through the heart girth and flank. That bull you show does have a thick flank and a nice rump. But that front quarter carries a lot of weight, and if he is weak across the back and shoulder area, that is less meat in some of the fancier cuts like Rib eye.
As long as you get a better bull than your best cow, that is always my goal. Otherwise, I am pulling me herd down and there are always really good bulls at a sale that they don't push as hard. Some they jack up at the beginning. Don't let that scare you. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to find a good bull. Well, maybe spend a hand and a foot. Ha-ha!! You want the very best that you can find and afford to keep moving your herd upwards.

Latest posts