8 oz. chlorine tablet in 100 gal. water trough

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I water my feeder calves with a 100 gal. (I think, might be a little more) water trough using well water and a float valve so it stays full all the time. Anyway, I noticed today hundreds of little things swimming around in it, I guess mosquito larvae. So I bought a 8 oz. chlorine tablet at Home Depot. 8 oz. might not sound that big but it's pretty big. How much should I chip off it to use? Can I just throw it in the bottom of the trough and let it do it's stuff like that?

dump it and clean it out - 100 gallons isn't that much water

a very thin layer of salad oil will kill mosquito larvea, or fish will do the job a couple goldfish or mosquito fish will eat them right up. you can also get bT for mosquito larvae as tabs or drops - follow the directions

that is really too small of a trough to worry about chlorine and it is only good for algae and bacteria, not larvae, but a large pool tab will chlorinate thousands of gallons for several days, depending on dirt and temperature, so please don't put that whole thing in a 100 gallon trough for long - get a test kit or strips - you read the chloring by matching up the colors - don't keep it over what you would use for a pool - about 1.5 ppm

Be careful!
You're injecting chlorine into the gut of an animal that requires certain things to happen at a bacterial level in order for her gut to work properly.
I've been on a few dairies where the water was "to clean" and things didn't work the way they were suposed to...
Bt works really well and won't hurt your cows at all.

I'm not even sure what BT is and where to get it. I guess I should use it if it's safe for the cattle. I'd like to get this done tomorrow if possible.

When our cows go to the sale barn in springfield or to shows they won;t touch the water. That chlorine smell is totally alien to them. But after the fair they will drink their weight in water as soon as they get back home

cow pollinater":1tmn9c9m said:
Be careful!
You're injecting chlorine into the gut of an animal that requires certain things to happen at a bacterial level in order for her gut to work properly.
I've been on a few dairies where the water was "to clean" and things didn't work the way they were suposed to...
Bt works really well and won't hurt your cows at all.

BT as in Bacillus Thuringiensis ?

Okay I Google it and found Mosquito bits? Where can I buy this stuff? I want to get it in there tomorrow if possible.

Go to Wally World or the feed store and get 4 little goldfish... they'll live in there year round and keep it clean.

...and yes, raccoons and barn cats will enjoy having the challenge of fishing as well.

tncattle":5nogooa3 said:
I water my feeder calves with a 100 gal. (I think, might be a little more) water trough using well water and a float valve so it stays full all the time. Anyway, I noticed today hundreds of little things swimming around in it, I guess mosquito larvae. So I bought a 8 oz. chlorine tablet at Home Depot. 8 oz. might not sound that big but it's pretty big. How much should I chip off it to use? Can I just throw it in the bottom of the trough and let it do it's stuff like that?
Those things melt very slowly over several days. Shouldn't hurt a thing other than make the water taste like hel. :shock:

I bought some Mosquito Dunks (BT) from Home Depot and dropped the correct amount in yesterday afternoon. Now I want to finish cutting the pasture but it's raining! Doesn't it know not to rain unless I want it to and when I I want it to?!

Latest posts