A big shout out to my Amish neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

An article I found
Good article... and the replies to it tell a story about how people with no experience will never accept anything but their own ideas given to them by others with no frame of reference.

Good article... and the replies to it tell a story about how people with no experience will never accept anything but their own ideas given to them by others with no frame of reference.
Reminds me of last year, my wife's sister in law at the time ( she's now divorcing )
had shared some kind of post bashing a particular breeder of dogs. They were telling people not buy from them and telling how horrible the conditions were.
My wife knows that sometimes people give others a bad reputation for no reason and often exaggerate or make up details if they don't like something, plus the sister in law is an animal rights loon. So my wife takes it on herself to call the breeder/kennel in question and talk to them about what she read.
They said they heard that stuff a lot and offered to give her a tour of their facilities. It was in another state so we couldn't, but wife messaged her sister-in-law and tells her if she wants to see it for herself she could contact them as it was located in her area. Of course that didn't suit her, she would rather just villianize somebody online without knowing the truth.

Reminds me of last year, my wife's sister in law at the time ( she's now divorcing )
had shared some kind of post bashing a particular breeder of dogs. They were telling people not buy from them and telling how horrible the conditions were.
My wife knows that sometimes people give others a bad reputation for no reason and often exaggerate or make up details if they don't like something, plus the sister in law is an animal rights loon. So my wife takes it on herself to call the breeder/kennel in question and talk to them about what she read.
They said they heard that stuff a lot and offered to give her a tour of their facilities. It was in another state so we couldn't, but wife messaged her sister-in-law and tells her if she wants to see it for herself she could contact them as it was located in her area. Of course that didn't suit her, she would rather just villianize somebody online without knowing the truth.
Vegans are especially aggravating. I don't know enough to comment on their health claims... but their animal cruelty and environmental information is always inflated, lacking context, or just flat out lies. I can refute them all.

I don't give a dam* what someone chooses to eat... but I do care about people using bull**it information intentionally.

Vegans are especially aggravating. I don't know enough to comment on their health claims... but their animal cruelty and environmental information is always inflated, lacking context, or just flat out lies. I can refute them all.

I don't give a dam* what someone chooses to eat... but I do care about people using bull**it information intentionally.
Yeah, the actual backstory to why my wife got into the story and called the people, stemmed from a conversation we tried to have with the sister in law about farming practices. She had seen an online video of dairy calves being mistreated. Tried telling her that if it was anything to it it was an employee of a dairy and likely an isolated incident. Told her that mistreating and neglecting livestock doesn't benefit anything, and that's it's in the farmers and ranchers interests to maintain healthy animals and to handle them properly. She just stared and shook her head in disagreement because it wasn't the narrative she wanted to hear.
She doesn't like dairy products because of the treatment of the animals, won't eat much meat, only small amounts of chicken, turkey or fish.
Oh and she only buys eggs from "happy" chickens.

It seems all the animal control agencies (dog pounds) have been taken over by animal rightists and become "No Kill".
This means vicious pit bulls and other untrainable dogs get rotated back into rural areas where they have "room to play" in neighbor's fields.
The new owners can not believe their "furry baby" would do anything wrong, even when they come back home covered in mud and blood.
Trying to reason with these people is impossible. It seems no amount of damage and aggravation can change their mind. I have a field on the far side of the place that abuts several homes that have these type dogs. It is hard to catch them in the act but the cattle avoid this field and act stressed when I move them there.
These are families I've known for years and they have several kids at home. It seems a problem without a solution. I have shot a couple when they were actually attacking me on my own place. It made no difference, they went back to the pound and got new ones.

It seems all the animal control agencies (dog pounds) have been taken over by animal rightists and become "No Kill".
This means vicious pit bulls and other untrainable dogs get rotated back into rural areas where they have "room to play" in neighbor's fields.
The new owners can not believe their "furry baby" would do anything wrong, even when they come back home covered in mud and blood.
Trying to reason with these people is impossible. It seems no amount of damage and aggravation can change their mind. I have a field on the far side of the place that abuts several homes that have these type dogs. It is hard to catch them in the act but the cattle avoid this field and act stressed when I move them there.
These are families I've known for years and they have several kids at home. It seems a problem without a solution. I have shot a couple when they were actually attacking me on my own place. It made no difference, they went back to the pound and got new ones.
My own kids have never understood why I don't see pit type dogs as a good idea. Dad says it... so it must be wrong syndrome. We've all gone through it so I really can't blame them.

But about five years ago my 10 year old grandson was playing with a friend in the friend's back yard, sitting on a bench that backed against the house. An adult inside the house let their pit out, a dog that my grandson had played with previously, and the dog attacked immediately. It took two of the men inside to pull the dog off my grandson. He was lucky. The dog ended up ripping a chunk out of his leg on the inside of his thigh. It missed the femoral artery by less than half an inch.

The people owning the dog defended it and it ended up attacking someone else before they took it to a county shelter.

Pit types have a specific attack pattern that is genetically programmed by selective breeding. Just like herding dogs control animals, bird dogs point, retrievers fetch, scent hounds track, and sight hounds course... pit types have been bred to do a job. No one can look at a dog bred for a purpose and see whether they are incapable or hyper capable and that means there are a lot of pit types in homes with the tenacity genes that makes them dangerous.

Never confuse a liberal with facts, It destroys their utopia idea of what the world is suppose to be like. They are all about feelings.

Oh lardy. Ho chi minh sandals for horses..

It sounds like some of the Amish are the Ferengi of the religious world.
Rules of acquisition and profit
1. A ferengi without profit is no ferengi at all.
2. Once you have their money, you never give it back.
3. Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to.
4. Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity
5. Small print leads to large risk.
6. Never place friendship above profit.
7. War is good for business
8. Peace is good for business.
9 Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own
10. Free advice is seldom cheap.
11. Knowledge equals profit
12. Females and profit don't mix.
13. Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
14. Never have sex with the boss' sister.
15. Wives serve, brothers inherit.
16. New customers are like razor-toothed gree-worms. They can be succulent, but sometimes they bite back.
17. Never be afraid to mislabel a product.
18. A man is only worth the sum of his possessions.
19. Never allow doubt to tarnish your lust for profit.
20. Anything worth doing is worth doing for money.
21. Sometimes the quickest way to find profits is to let them find you.
22. There's nothing more dangerous than an honest businessman.
23. Profit is its own reward.
24 Learn the customer's weaknesses so you can better take advantage of them.
25. If you can't take it with you, don't go.
26. Faith moves mountains… of inventory.
27. Everything is for sale, even friendship.
28. There's nothing wrong with charity… as long as it winds up in your pocket.
29. Possession is eleven-tenths of the law!
30. More is good… All is better.
31. A wealthy man can afford anything except a conscience.

(there are many many more... )
That #15 though!

My own kids have never understood why I don't see pit type dogs as a good idea. Dad says it... so it must be wrong syndrome. We've all gone through it so I really can't blame them.

But about five years ago my 10 year old grandson was playing with a friend in the friend's back yard, sitting on a bench that backed against the house. An adult inside the house let their pit out, a dog that my grandson had played with previously, and the dog attacked immediately. It took two of the men inside to pull the dog off my grandson. He was lucky. The dog ended up ripping a chunk out of his leg on the inside of his thigh. It missed the femoral artery by less than half an inch.

The people owning the dog defended it and it ended up attacking someone else before they took it to a county shelter.

Pit types have a specific attack pattern that is genetically programmed by selective breeding. Just like herding dogs control animals, bird dogs point, retrievers fetch, scent hounds track, and sight hounds course... pit types have been bred to do a job. No one can look at a dog bred for a purpose and see whether they are incapable or hyper capable and that means there are a lot of pit types in homes with the tenacity genes that makes them dangerous.
Years ago my cousin was bit by a dog. My uncle called the dog catcher to take care of the dog. Because that dog had not bitten three people that was reported in the City of Craig they could not do anything about the dog. My uncle said he would take care of the dog; they sent the police to make sure he didn't shoot that dog.

That's a shame to have to deal with.
My cousin has a farm by a subdivision and he had as much trouble with people as he did dogs.
Neighborhood kids tried to catch and ride his horses. Kids shot up his barn and shot the windshield out of an old 60's model cattle truck.
We used to have an awful time with dogs running through the country, doesn't happen as much now, but still get an occasional neighbor's dog roaming around. People don't understand that rover and spot can do a lot of damage.

I hate to hear that about your grandson but it has nothing to do with a breed of dog. That was an irresponsible dog owner. They knew they had a human aggressive dog and did nothing about it. They also should not have turned any dog loose with a new kid in the yard, unsupervised.

True Pit Bulls are culled for human aggression. In fact they were selected as the breed to use for fighting because they would not turn on the humans like other breeds.

Most people screw up because they see their dog bark at some one who walks up and they say good dog for protecting us. They encourage the aggression. A dog should know the difference between a threat and some one just walking up.

This all goes back to people not having the sense to cull animals when needed these days.

I hate to hear that about your grandson but it has nothing to do with a breed of dog. That was an irresponsible dog owner. They knew they had a human aggressive dog and did nothing about it. They also should not have turned any dog loose with a new kid in the yard, unsupervised.

True Pit Bulls are culled for human aggression. In fact they were selected as the breed to use for fighting because they would not turn on the humans like other breeds.

Most people screw up because they see their dog bark at some one who walks up and they say good dog for protecting us. They encourage the aggression. A dog should know the difference between a threat and some one just walking up.

This all goes back to people not having the sense to cull animals when needed these days.
Please reread what I wrote...

The tenacity genes involved in the pit type attack pattern actually protect those that are trying to pull the dog off of its victim. In a focused attack the dog is only concentrating on its victim. There are plenty of videos you can review where the attacking dog will return time and again to the person or animal it attacked first, even when there are several people between them and the victim.

The people that use the "human aggression" idea are misunderstanding the psychology involved.

Travlr said "Vegans are especially aggravating. I don't know enough to comment on their health claims... but their animal cruelty and environmental information is always inflated, lacking context, or just flat out lies. I can refute them all."

The fact is, lab grown meat (without cruelty you know) actually requires fetal calf serum from calves cut from the dam at slaughter (usually this is dairy cows) as a growth medium.

You will see Amish use tractors, but note the tires (more subtle than the tractor) they do NOT have rubber. I mentioned 'nuances' in my prior post. This is one of them. You are highly unlikely to see Amish use rubber tires or likely any rubber product. They have a belief that the rubber product promotes 'sloth and vanity'. So, tractors....possibly. Tires....No (or any rubber material).

You will see Amish use tractors, but note the tires (more subtle than the tractor) they do NOT have rubber. I mentioned 'nuances' in my prior post. This is one of them. You are highly unlikely to see Amish use rubber tires or likely any rubber product. They have a belief that the rubber product promotes 'sloth and vanity'. So, tractors....possibly. Tires....No (or any rubber material).
Every Amish in jltrent and my area use a tractor with rubber tires. Some even have cab tractors. They have hay rollers and all the farm machinery just like we do. A couple have dozers and excavators.

Every Amish in jltrent and my area use a tractor with rubber tires. Some even have cab tractors. They have hay rollers and all the farm machinery just like we do. A couple have dozers and excavators.
Interesting. A bit surprising to me, but I did point out there is quite a bit of variation among the Amish. The rubber tires aren't seen within the Amish up here though. Interesting to know.

A couple of years ago In the small town 10 miles from here a pitbull attacked and killed a woman who was trying to protect her children. The dog then attacked the police, then returned to maul the body of the woman so they shot it. This was the first time a pit bull killing you read about in the news happened so close to me.
My own German Shepherd is dog aggressive for life because a homeless guys pitbull attacked her when se was a little puppy. Interestingly she has protected my from drug crazed bums when she was actually after their dog. Want to read about human attcks see dogsbite.org.. There are a lot of people on the internet who are pit bull kissers saying it is the up bringing. It is not. It is genetic just like bird dogs, cattle dogs, lap dogs.

Latest posts