A ways to green grass yet.

Help Support CattleToday:

Agree @Lazy M my hat is off to y'all in the north. We ran out of hay by the 20th of March. I usually feed hay through till first of April give or take a few days and they've typically slowed way down in hay by then.

I have green grass but it is barely ankle high. We turned out on the 8th. About 70 went to summer camp. The late calving cows are on the hill above the house until they finish calving. Cows have been getting off the feed row almost daily here. I helped haul 120 pairs out yesterday. We are opening the head gate and starting water down one of the irrigation ditches today. By the first of next week I will be changing irrigation daily.

We will be cutting hay in 2-3 weeks.
People have already baled their 1st cutting fescue hay around here. I will cut the bermuda horse hay for the 1st time in about 2-3 weeks. We had a cold snap Sun- Tues up here. Blackberry winter. Lows around 40 and highs barely making 60, but the high today will be 79! This will probably be our lowest high til end of Oct or 1st of Nov, and I love it!! I have always said those Canadian and northern states cattlemen are a hell of a lot tougher than I am. I would never survive a winter having to tend cattle or horses up there. The blizzard of '93 was 4 -5 days of sheer night-marish hell for me. Ever since then, when they call for snow here, me and the old lady just head to south Ga or Fla for a couple of days. I vowed that If I could help it, I'd never see snow again as long as I live! LOL

I have green grass but it is barely ankle high. We turned out on the 8th. About 70 went to summer camp. The late calving cows are on the hill above the house until they finish calving. Cows have been getting off the feed row almost daily here. I helped haul 120 pairs out yesterday. We are opening the head gate and starting water down one of the irrigation ditches today. By the first of next week I will be changing irrigation daily.
We plugged some ditches two days ago and will do more in a couple days.
Just had fresh snow on Sunday. 2 months from cutting hay here.
Are you dry there too?

we've been real dry for the last month but now are getting 4 days of rain straight. Should help a lot.

cows were about 1/2 on hay 1/2 on grass here around Mach 10th. Stopped feeding hay around the 20th but then with some cold morning had to feed a few more days. I think I stopped all hay on around the 5th of April. Started feeding Jan 5th. did pretty good this year and still have a lot of hay left over for once.

Been done with hay feeding for quite some time here. Grass is awesome so far. But it's getting awful dry. Rain keeps missing us.
A lot of wheat has failed to fill heads. Lots and lots of wheat hay laid down and baled already

Latest posts