Aggressive Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd think for the purposes he's talking about he's already set up.
Yes, but I tel you, we have had to tread lightly. These Mexican corrs straight off the ranch are nothing like old ropers. If clay and Bo hand;t have been there with Clay's horse and Bo on FRank, I would have never gottem them moved to the big field across the road. Scott's folks just weren;t cowboy enough and mounted well enough to help. Scott has been riding a horse among them every day when he sets out hay, and they are getting used to it, but they are wild! On a side note, you can tell the Chianina in those bulls we are using. Chianina are noted for bulls with the highest libido, and they will travel 20 mils hunting cows and heat ( in open range settings, I guess). I bet they have all the open ones bred by now! LOL Son, they went to work while we were driving the herd to the pasture! We probaly didn't need all 5 for these 70 or so cows...maybe 2!!!!

Yes, but I tel you, we have had to tread lightly. These Mexican corrs straight off the ranch are nothing like old ropers. If clay and Bo hand;t have been there with Clay's horse and Bo on FRank, I would have never gottem them moved to the big field across the road. Scott's folks just weren;t cowboy enough and mounted well enough to help. Scott has been riding a horse among them every day when he sets out hay, and they are getting used to it, but they are wild! On a side note, you can tell the Chianina in those bulls we are using. Chianina are noted for bulls with the highest libido, and they will travel 20 mils hunting cows and heat ( in open range settings, I guess). I bet they have all the open ones bred by now! LOL Son, they went to work while we were driving the herd to the pasture! We probaly didn't need all 5 for these 70 or so cows...maybe 2!!!!
Y'all using Chi-Angus?

I pet all of my cows, it's a tradition. BUT I ONLY DO IT WHEN THEY'RE IN THE CHUTE. They are not pets. We are not friends. It's safer for everyone like that.

I assume you already know this, but for the benefit of people reading this who might not, never reach between the bars or boards of a chute while it has cattle in it, unless you want a broken arm. Always reach over the top.

Y'all using Chi-Angus?
No, those bulls I have posted about that Scott's brother is developing. A 3 way cross of Beahma, Chi-angus, and black Simental. Ends up being 3/8th simm, 3/8 Chi-angus, and 1/4 Brahma . He bred a bunch of Brhmas to Chiangus and Simm bulls. Took the Simm/Brahmas and bred them to Chi-angus, and the Chi-angus/ Brahmas to black Simm. IMO, could have stopped there...he had the maximum heterosis right there. This last cross for the composite won't add any hybrid vigor. I guess the plus is a stable cross that will produce consistent calves. ut, using them for free, so you know what they say about lookin a gift horse in the mouth. But they have enough Chianina blood in them that I told Scott don't ride no mares in there! LOL

Gotta be some hellacious bulls.
They are some horny bulls, that is for sure. I have been buying Chianina bulls for George for a few years now. he sends them to central and south ameerican countries to use on their Indu-Brasille type cows. They are every bit as heat, insect, and parasite resistant as Brahma, but those bulls cover some ground! And like @Chapin81's place, some of these ranches are thousand acres or more. On the trade last week, George was wanting 10, but I told him I only found 7. I told him what I had found: 1 f1 Charbray, a Brahma/Chiania, and a Char/Chianina. He said he'd just take them too. ,. He didn't say, but I think he wahnts to keep these 3 and use them on his ranch in Mexico. Mostly what he raises is Braford, but he buys and sells any and everything.

Nice. I reckon Mexico is probably a pretty good place to acquire less typical livestock, I have done some pretty extensive reading on what they graze in some of the South and Central American countries. I got a wild hair up my butt to do so because I gave several friends whose families hail from there and I just wanted to know how they do it down there. I'd say I'd love to go down there, but I'm not really keen on touristy type spots, nor am I very sure that going away from the tourist areas in those places is a good idea either.

Nice. I reckon Mexico is probably a pretty good place to acquire less typical livestock, I have done some pretty extensive reading on what they graze in some of the South and Central American countries. I got a wild hair up my butt to do so because I gave several friends whose families hail from there and I just wanted to know how they do it down there. I'd say I'd love to go down there, but I'm not really keen on touristy type spots, nor am I very sure that going away from the tourist areas in those places is a good idea either.
Oh yeah. it depends on where you are. I remember taking my wife to Cozumal in the 90's. She wanted to go to Cancun but I talked her into Cozumel I wanted to chec on some dive spots I had there in the 70;s. We stayed at an all=-inclusive resort there. ( ended up buying a 3/2 condo there, then the Mexican gov ceased the whole place the next year, then I got a total refund of the $15k from VISA...but that is another story). anyhow, the entertainment director there got to be a friend. He'd get me whatever I wanted , for next to nothing,,just said " leave what you don;t use here....do NOT try to get on a plane with it!" He said, here, as an American, you can walk down the strret smoking a doobie, and nothing will happen. We ( Mexicans) can;t, but you can. You can leave cash on the seat of the Jeeep you wehnted , and no Mexican will touch it. If they saw somone else get itk they would jump on them with a bull whip! We DO NOT want any AMerican to have any thing happen tohim at all. This island thrives on American tourists. Same in Cancun, but do NOT get out of Cancun! It probably wouldn;t be a good idea to go across the border by yourself and drive through the country looking for cattle ranches. Even in Chihuahua. But George told me next time I come, he will drive me in his truck to see his ranch, and more if we have time. I have n been on a couple of hunts in Mexico in some pretty unsettled places. But, the hunting areas were under lease to and under the protection of the outfitter we booked the hunts with. But I wish it were to where we could go down there and just spend a month driving cross country and checking out the ranches, cattle, horses, and Peyote cactus! :)

In the 1970s my boyfriend and I went to Mexico. We rode on the Mexican busses with the goats and chickens and stayed in Mexican hotels built around central gardens with fountains, not the tourist hotels. I saw a lot of skinny cattle and several good horses. We went on the train through Canyon de Cobre in the Sierra Madre to the southern mountains then hiked with back packs. The people there did not speak Spanish, they spoke Mayan. They were poor but generous people. For instance I remember a family coming out of their hut and insisting by gestures that we have lunch. It was a single boiled egg. We went to the southern jungles and camped around the pyramids. Went all the way to Guatemala. The border guards of Guatemala had evil in their eyes. The drug cartels are running Mexico now, I would not go there except to tourist traps.

"Gotta wonder how many dairy animals are raised on recipient beef cows."
Not many.
Now, the opposite was, at one time, very common - and I'm convinced that a lot of beef herds introduced Johne's Disease to their herds/premises by buying Holstein heifers and cull Holstein cows to use as embryo recips back in the early days of Embryo Transfer.

Those de Lidia cattle - the Spanish/Portuguese fighting cattle - are selectively bred for their aggressiveness. Even the heifers are tested... "In the case of females, animals of 1, 2, or 3 years are evaluated. The test is practiced in the tienta, under the direction of the farmer and with the participation of professional bullfighters, trying to discover the functional performance of each animal. The behavior of each individual in each phase of the test is assessed using the horse and with the muleta. There are different parameters (prompt response, attack, fixity, mobility, nobility, fierceness, aggressiveness, repetition, and so on) that are evaluated by the farmer, to achieve a final note for each animal and, subsequently, keep the best females as breeders."

As the the OP's Angus/Hereford cross hand-reared bull that started this discussion on aggressive bulls, with forays into dairy, fighting cattle, and horses/llamas... I wouldn't trust that sucker for a second, regardless of breed makeup.

I've had several bottle-raised heifers that stayed in the beef herd, with a couple remaining 'tame' enough that you could walk up to them anywhere and rub them or put kids on their backs for a photo op... had one little Simbrah-cross cow that I could have milked, just standing in the pasture, if I'd wanted to. But... we had a Limousin heifer that we sold at about 6 months because she was far too aggressive to have around with my kids (7, 5, & 2)toddling around.

I carry a gun any time I work with cattle, horses, or any large animals. It's basically the ultimate trump card in the event of a fight. I can't win a fistfight with a 1,500 pound animal, but I can put one in the dust with boring regularity.

I carry a gun any time I work with cattle, horses, or any large animals. It's basically the ultimate trump card in the event of a fight. I can't win a fistfight with a 1,500 pound animal, but I can put one in the dust with boring regularity.
That seems a little extreme.

I had an angus/corriente steer we were feeding out that seemed aggressive. I had sold the other steers to make grain feeding easier. I played ring around the rosey with him using a tree or round bale feeder between him and me. One day when he was acting aggressive I picked up a tree branch and threw it out into the pasture. He acted just like a dog and ran over to the branch. I guess he was just bored and needed something or somebody to "play" with like he had done with the other steers. I guess cattle do better when they have company.

Latest posts