AI and Sync'ing

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Gearing up for our first time at AI in a month or so. Have planned to sync our several cows so they can be AI'd at the same time. I thought one benefit of sync'ing is that you follow the specific timed protocol of hormones etc to the letter, in lieu of tracking heats. A farmer with much more knowledge of such things told me you still have to know when they're in heat, and watch very closely. I will look closer at some of the chart/protocols but I'm sure someone here can settle this with a word and/or link? Much thanks!

If your going to use a straight TAI then watching heats may not be so important. I do a modified TAI I usually breed twice if im using 72 hr I will breed some at 60. I put a Estrotec patch on them so ill know when there in. Depending on the numbers and if your having a Tech come out if this would work for you. Either way I would want to know if they were in heat.

bse":1rnvlrgg said:
If your going to use a straight TAI then watching heats may not be so important. I do a modified TAI I usually breed twice if im using 72 hr I will breed some at 60. I put a Estrotec patch on them so ill know when there in. Depending on the numbers and if your having a Tech come out if this would work for you. Either way I would want to know if they were in heat.

I was thinking about the 5 day co-synch+cidr protocol as described here: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedi ... _575_W.pdf

Anybody familiar with this? Seems to have a semi-decent success rate. And, so far as I can tell, doesn't require watching for heats up-front (although I assume you'd want to watch afterward, to make sure it "took", or else do preg checks). Thanks!

The great thing about TAI programs is the chance to get cows pregnant without the time and labor of heat detection. The 5 day program works very well, but don't plan for more than 50% conception. You may very well do better, just don't count on it. Be sure to follow any program very closely, the details are critical to success.

We have not tried the 5 day co-synch+cidr but have good sucess with the 7 day co-synch + cidr. We tried the 7 day co-synch with out cidr and did have very good luck. We usually get 1 out of 10 that will be standing a day before TAI. We get those bred and get the rest serviced at the TAI protocal time. The only thing I wouldn't like about the 5 day is that it calls for working the animals an extra time to give the extra shot.

boondocks are you doing your own A I? that could make a big difference if you put a estrotec patch on them you don't have to spend but a couple of minutes checking them. If you check them this morning breed the ones that are orange this afternoon then everything else gets bred tomorrow morning it only takes a little of your time to increase conception which is what its all about.
Ive tried the 5 day personally I didn't like that one at all.

We use a timed AI protocol on our cows heifers we try to catch in a natural heat. We are considering a timed AI protocol for the heifers this year but can't recommend it as we haven't tried it yet. We have had good success with the timed AI on the cows we AI about 60 head a year.

Day 1 CIDR in 2CC Combo
Day 7 CIDR out 5CC Lute or 2CC Estro Plan before 9:00 a.m.
Day 9 Estrodial 1CC before 9: 00 a.m.
Day 10 Check for heat a.m. Breed after 2:00 p.m.

I will admit that we don't check for heat in the a.m. on day 10 we just AI all of them after 2:00. We have used this protocol for several years and our conception rate has been over 70% every year we have used it.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

bse":2qjt3t4h said:
boondocks are you doing your own A I? that could make a big difference if you put a estrotec patch on them you don't have to spend but a couple of minutes checking them. If you check them this morning breed the ones that are orange this afternoon then everything else gets bred tomorrow morning it only takes a little of your time to increase conception which is what its all about.
Ive tried the 5 day personally I didn't like that one at all.

Hi, we are new to AI and not trained yet (hope to be by this time next year) so we will be having a trained AI tech come to do it.

Depending on the number of cows your doing the tech may be willing to come out for two different breedings it may cost you another trip charge but what is getting a few more settled worth? Talk to your tech and see what there willing to do and what protocol they like best and use that.

Latest posts