Andro

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Anyone using this for ant control? After reading the label I am not sure I want it anywhere near me, but I have it on good authority that it REALLY works.

Ive used it on fire ants and it always seems to do the job. If i had dime for every blasted fire ant bite ive had, i would be retired.

Another vote for Orthene or any of it's generic equivilents with a primary active ingred of acephate..
Tested and proven as well by Mississippi State Univ:

When averaged across all trials, the mean mortality of surface-applied Ambush was 53.2%; Amdro, 44.2%; Affirm, 58.5%; and Orthene, 77.4%. Check mortality was 9.3%. The percent mortality of Amdro was significantly lower than that of Orthene. All other treatments resulted in statistically similar means (F-test; p = 0.05).

Percent mortality of mounds injected with Ambush was 66.1%; Amdro, 30%; Affirm, 33.3%; and Orthene, 64.5%. Percent control by Amdro was significantly less than that of Ambush and Orthene (F-test; p = 0.05). Mound mortality by Affirm was not significantly different from any of the treatments, nor was control by Affirm or Amdro significantly different from that of the untreated mounds.
http://msucares.com/pubs/bulletins/b1080frames.htm

I can see those poor kids at MSU rounding up the whole mound of fireants and then separating the live from the dead from those simply puking to arrive at those percentages. :lol2: :lol2: But as long as you get credit and the prof. gets his grant money. :cowboy:

BTW I use Over and out. Kills a few, runs some on down another 10 feet and some seem to hang around and rebuild.

TexasBred":uhr3i9mf said:
I can see those poor kids at MSU rounding up the whole mound of fireants and then separating the live from the dead from those simply puking to arrive at those percentages. :lol2: :lol2: But as long as you get credit and the prof. gets his grant money. :cowboy:

BTW I use Over and out. Kills a few, runs some on down another 10 feet and some seem to hang around and rebuild.
Well, maybe you will like the Over n Out critique/review by the kids at TAMU better:
http://fireant.tamu.edu/controlmethods/ ... /overnout/

For me the Orthene/Acephate bait appear to work more completely than Amdro. This though
is individual hill not broadcast. Though not recommended application, I get quicker more
complete kill if I disturb the hill to irritate the workers when applying the bait.

wlamarparmer":1wtu27ln said:
For me the Orthene/Acephate bait appear to work more completely than Amdro. This though
is individual hill not broadcast. Though not recommended application, I get quicker more
complete kill if I disturb the hill to irritate the workers when applying the bait.

That's my plan. My biggest fear is peripheral damage to pets and livestock.

We sell a truckload a year
We've tried others but everyone wants Amdro
Don't know if that helps but poont is I've heard nothing negative

Bear in mind that near all products, herbicides, insecticides, drug, whatever licensed by FDA, EPA
whatever agency licensed has some issues. My understanding is that after research and trials, that any instance that
or possibly tied to that product has to be included in warning. If I read the entire sheet on the drugs
I take and believe any and all warnings, then I take none, then I'm back to the issue that needs me to be
on said drug. My opinion is that following directions, and used in moderation, we're fairly well protected
by the governing/research bodies. Nothing that alters the state of nature if 100% safe always, but neither
is natural selection, if You look @ some diseases in man today or past history.
There were a few issues in SA mid 90's with overuse of Ivermectin/cows in water, etc., and said effect
on crustaceans and amphibians. But as we know amount used in cattle industry here, it appears to be
relatively safe. Point being, usually regulated, researched.released products appear to be fairly safe.
Overuse/abuse can and will cause problems, and some of us will develop some reaction to any said product. But
I am allergic to bee stings and fire ant stings, that ain't manufactured products.

Jogeephus":312s9cw0 said:
Orthene is used in tobacco here and you'd be hard pressed to find a fire ant in a tobacco patch.
''

I know several folks who dump a container of Orthene in the tank when they spray for weeds in their hay meadows. Fire ant problem solved.

3waycross":ea4h49tm said:
Anyone using this for ant control? After reading the label I am not sure I want it anywhere near me, but I have it on good authority that it REALLY works.

It will kill cows Black Flag dead!
Know of one that was a FFA project somebody poured some in a kids food bucket .
We never found out who did it.

This is all I use as it is approved for pasture application as well.
http://www.extinguishfireants.com/pdfs/ ... tLabel.pdf

Texas Gal":3rsrvpbe said:
Jogeephus":3rsrvpbe said:
Orthene is used in tobacco here and you'd be hard pressed to find a fire ant in a tobacco patch.
''

I know several folks who dump a container of Orthene in the tank when they spray for weeds in their hay meadows. Fire ant problem solved.

Very illegal better tell your friends to shut up.
As the sprayable is off label use on everything I have read.
It also has a kill and lactating wait period.
I wouldn't want any of that hay myself.
Labels changed on a bunch of chemicals that were rated M to H hazard.
Lot of worker safety regs involved that includes us.
Lots of stuff we used for years is illegal now.
Texas is going to start random inspections of us this year your books and rates better be in order.

www.extension.org/.../management-of-imp ... le-produ...
Feb 26, 2015 - (Based on a drawing by Charles Barr,Texas A&M University) ..... Orthene is not registered for use in hay or cattle pastures. .... Acephate products such as Orthene Turf, Tree, and Ornamental Spray can be diluted in water and .

Sounds a lot like communism to me. We're letting the government over run us. I guess a conservative state is no better than a liberal state, when it comes to what you can do on your property.

highgrit":3cgkv3nd said:
Sounds a lot like communism to me. We're letting the government over run us. I guess a conservative state is no better than a liberal state, when it comes to what you can do on your property.

The EPA is forcing the regs on the state
People better start educating themselves
on Herbicide and Pesticides as this is all heading towards BQA
on food and worker safety.

I want the EPA abolished, and get us out of the UN also. The government has no right to tell the people what they can do on their own land.

highgrit":1x44qrls said:
I want the EPA abolished, and get us out of the UN also. The government has no right to tell the people what they can do on their own land.
There's a crap load of people that have made big $$ for decades off doing exactly that--telling other people what they can and should do and cannot and should not do. The Corporate versions of Community Organizers.
They are the primary reasons alphabet soup agencies have become so emboldened in recent decades--the govt agencies know they have people on the inside of those companies and in small local govt that will sit up, sniff the air and pant every time one of the agencies farts.

Latest posts