Angus Source Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you going to be using these as RFID or just buying the visual tag? I recently got BQA/CMP, and SD certified for my cattle operation, and as of yet have not found an RFID tag system. Drovers had a large list last month of RFID providers. But, maybe it's because I'm blonde :?: ... but I am having trouble figuring out what tag, reader, and computer software programs are compatable with everything. Anyone???????????

They are just a visual tag so far rfid may come later from what I understand. You can find out more here iffen you like > http://angussource.com/
I'm not sure what you're talking about> Drovers? a company?
I'm looking into different ideas myself on rfid. I'll let you know iffen I found anything that looks good.
btw I love blonde hair.
bif

Supposedly there are companys manufactureing readers that will read all of the rfid tags. That was in either an earlier Drovers or maybe in a BEEF cow calf monthlky, not sure which. As for the software and all of the other stuff, all that will really be required are the tags and the tool to put them on. Granted they'ld be hard to read the numbers without a reader, but I don't see it as an unsurmountable problem. You will still be able to enter the data in your computer, sheet of paper, stone tablet, etc. the way you do now. For most producers the cost of all the extra geegaws would be a waste of money for the small amount of time it would save.

dun

Dee":2eii1d8o said:
Are you going to be using these as RFID or just buying the visual tag? I recently got BQA/CMP, and SD certified for my cattle operation, and as of yet have not found an RFID tag system. Drovers had a large list last month of RFID providers. But, maybe it's because I'm blonde :?: ... but I am having trouble figuring out what tag, reader, and computer software programs are compatable with everything. Anyone???????????

Dee-

From what I understand there are Half Duplex and Full Duplex Tags. Half Duplex Tags can be read by both the Full and Half Duplex Readers. Full Duplex can only be read by the Full Duplex Readers. Y-Tex and Z-Tag both make ISO compliant Half Duplex Tags. Full Duplex tags can be read faster than Half Duplex, by about 3/10 second. I can see the value to the large feedlots and slaughter houses, when they run a bunch through an alley and need to record the movement. We are registering for the SD Certified Beef Program as well and will use the Y or Z tags this spring, at this point based more on price than anything. Beef Origins offers the software etc. and if you choose not to buy the $500 reader you can send in manual cards for an extra fee. Our thought is to buy the reader and connect it directly to our Tru-Test Scale head.

Latest posts