Another failure

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
A heifer I AIed at her last heat came back in yesterday. I was not discouraged because the first time, I was able to get the gun through her cervix and everything felt right. But this time she humped up. I could feel here reproductive system and even the two horns of the uterus. But I could not, to save my life, get her cervix up off the floor of her pelvis. I am still down about it. I can take anything anyone says if I am satisfied in my own head. But if I get down on myself, I can be brutal on myself. I have always thought I was a very selfish person. I think I live almost entirely in my own head. I still am not over it. I could run my hand over the cervix and feel it. But I could not manipulate it. Anyone got some help for me? I am getting like Hook was for a while, frustrated!

Let nature take over, put her in with the bull. I bet he won't have a problem putting it where it needs to go.

sometimes you really need someone to help you.
I pinch the cow's back when she humps up to make her straighten out so that my husband can pass the gun.

I scratch them on the tail head for a couple of minutes to get them to relax. I leave my arm in and when I feel them settle down and relax I go ahead and insert the gun. Works pretty well but then again I don't A.I. a bunch at one time and I usually have the time to wait.

Thanks chippie and Hoss. I have heard you mention that before, chippie. I will try what Hoss mentioned. I also do one at a time. I watch my heifers every day and I know when they come in natually. I put an Estrotag on them. Are heifers as a group harder than cows? The cows we had in the class had a cervix that was much easier to manipulate.

inyati13":3gfr77bc said:
Thanks chippie and Hoss. I have heard you mention that before, chippie. I will try what Hoss mentioned. I also do one at a time. I watch my heifers every day and I know when they come in natually. I put an Estrotag on them. Are heifers as a group harder than cows? The cows we had in the class had a cervix that was much easier to manipulate.
Cow cervixes are larger and more easily manipulated. With experience you'll get to the point that heifers are no more difficult. I've always been an oddball and found heifers easier then cows, just have to be a little more precise wit hgetting the sheatch started in the first ring. Normally a heifers cervix is also a lot shorter so the chance of overshooting the target are greater. But those 6 inch semented feeling cervix in a cow are also problematic for me.

Take a break and wait until they crap. It's a whole diferent ballgame once you put your arm back in. :D You can also just put your hand flat on it and then use the gun to pass instead of manipulating the cervix onto the gun but that takes a ton of practice.

I find heifers easier also. The cervix is much smaller, but it is typically very shallow. Just keep trying. The rewards are worth it!

cow pollinater":u8959vg7 said:
Take a break and wait until they crap. It's a whole diferent ballgame once you put your arm back in. :D You can also just put your hand flat on it and then use the gun to pass instead of manipulating the cervix onto the gun but that takes a ton of practice.

CP, I tried that. While holding my hand palm down and moving it carefully left and right, I was able to feel the cervix as my hand passed over it. After I failed to get it up and manipulate the cervix over the gun tip, I tried to trap it under my hand and get the gun to it. But the cervix was pointed down with the anatomical tilt of the pelvis floor. Thus, in my head, I was seeing that the tip was not going into it squarely and I could not do it.

dun":1muoimvi said:
alisonb":1muoimvi said:
inyati13":1muoimvi said:
But this time she humped up. !
Clitoral stimulation - fact, also increases conception rate.
Glad to hear that someone else does it besides me.

Just where is the clitorus on a bovine? That is something I don't remember from comparative anatomy. I sure don't mind trying.

PS. Hey dun. When I took the AI class this winter, there was an one other older gentleman. I was the oldest but he was about 58, so older than the others who were in their 20s and 30s. The 58 year old was like me just getting into AI but had cattle for a long time. I was saying that being up to your arm pit in a cow's behind was not really what I call a fun day. He said cows are not that bad. They are really clean compared to some people. He said, "I picked a girl up at a service station one time that had BO so bad I took her back and dropped her off." I guess clitoral stimulation will not be too bad. I may practice on one of my sweeter cows today. :lol:

PS2. If I am arrested today for standing out in the field stimulating the clitorus of a cow, dun will you come to my trial and witness that it was recommended on CT as put of improving my AI success.

PS3. I actually like the smell of a cow. This is the truth. I knew a barrel racer in Denver. She was hispanic from New Mexico. Cutest accent I ever heard. It happened one time. Must have been yeast. I never went back. Shame, she was the prettiest women I ever dated and wonderful personality.

PS. Hey dun. When I took the AI class this winter, there was an one other older gentleman. I was the oldest but he was about 58, so older than the others who were in their 20s and 30s. The 58 year old was like me just getting into AI but had cattle for a long time. I was saying that being up to your arm pit in a cow's behind was not really what I call a fun day. He said cows are not that bad. They are really clean compared to some people. He said, "I picked a girl up at a service station one time that had BO so bad I took her back and dropped her off." I guess clitoral stimulation will not be too bad. I may practice on one of my sweeter cows today. :lol:

PS2. If I am arrested today for standing out in the field stimulating the clitorus of a cow, dun will you come to my trial and witness that it was recommended on CT as put of improving my AI success.

PS3. I actually like the smell of a cow. This is the truth. I knew a barrel racer in Denver. She was hispanic from New Mexico. Cutest accent I ever heard. It happened one time. Must have been yeast. I never went back. Shame, she was the prettiest women I ever dated and wonderful personality.

OK, the PS2 I laughed about, because I can totally see that happening! But I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing about PS3! :oops:

Latest posts