Any suggestions catching wild cow.

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good way of catching a wild cow that won't come out of a patch of thick woods ?

Roping her off horse is out. Woods are to thick. Tranquilizer is out because of where she might go down, has been getting in a pond when pushed. Could drown if Tranquilizer.

Have a trailer with four 16 foot panels sit up that I have coaxed her to with a feed bucket 3 times. After she saw me leave she goes in the pen but runs out before I can even attemp to close the panel.

Wait til its cold enough she can hang for a bit and anything .243 and up should catch her pretty easy. If thats not an option set your pen up and feed her regular in it then set up a trip or pull rope on the gate depending on how close she will let you get or where you can hide.

Wait til its cold enough she can hang for a bit and anything .243 and up should catch her pretty easy. If thats not an option set your pen up and feed her regular in it then set up a trip or pull rope on the gate depending on how close she will let you get or where you can hide.
I went and set the gate and rope up right after i posted this. I would go with the 243 idea but can't find a slaughter house to take her and am to old and crippled to handle it myself.

I think the gate and rope will do the trick. Sale barn is open in the morning if it works.

Might have to continue my stalk into the night. Have been setting a 1/3 of bucket if grain toward the front of the trailer. She has been going to it after I leave when it gets dark. I should have got rid of her last fall. She is wild, her calfs are wild. I should of had better sense and got rid of her when i first noticed her being crazy. Paying the price for it now.

F946737D-26D3-42E0-8DA5-5C24302E13C2.jpeg
Our resident wild child did this yesterday in an effort to get to her calf who is very much big enough to be weaned. We call her "No Tail" because she ripped hers off when it got hung up in a fence. She hasn't been worked in 4 years because she can't be trapped. Raises great albeit crazy calves.

I like her, sounds like a good mom. No coyotes gonna eat her baby. :) That gate is still usable.
One of my cows re-designed a cheap gate, it was hard to identify. Her calf was out of sight and
out of hearing, but she knew which way it went. :cool:
Great mom no doubt but she will tear your head off if cornered.

Anyone know of a good way of catching a wild cow that won't come out of a patch of thick woods ?

Roping her off horse is out. Woods are to thick. Tranquilizer is out because of where she might go down, has been getting in a pond when pushed. Could drown if Tranquilizer.

Have a trailer with four 16 foot panels sit up that I have coaxed her to with a feed bucket 3 times. After she saw me leave she goes in the pen but runs out before I can even attemp to close the panel.
504RP
She probably read your post on why buy the cow when you're getting the milk free.

Is she bred? If not I had one that was wild for almost a month! Found out she was not bred when I bought her and she came in heat. Sure 'nuff there she was in with the bull
She should be bred, been with a bull since June, has had 4 calfs so far. She is 7 or 8 years old. Has always been wild but, wasn't too hard to deal with until I started putting them on summer pasture with no catch pens. Just set up a pannel catch pen on the place she is at now. And it has alot of wooded areas. She is the only one i ever have any trouble out of. Been saying i was going to get rid of her just haven't done so. But she is gone this time.

Anyone that claims it isn't genetic has never had one like that and retained her heifer offspring.
crazy cow-crazy daughters..
btdt, once
You got that right. Every calf she had had is just like her. Too many good cows out there to keep one like that around. They are dangerous on top of that.

Cowboys, horses, and dogs. Sounds like mainly the dogs

Latest posts