Baby calves with a case of the runsl

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I got some baby calves a couple months old I'm feeding them hay and creep feed and they all seem to have a case of diarrhea any suggestions?

Yes he said to take it easy on the creep but not sure if anyone had any other suggestions. Should I put a salt lick in the pen?

No blood or mucus. Not sluggish or ears droopy. The stool is a light brown, about the color of a light peanut butter. He gave them a vitamin shot. They are only a few months old. Picked them up cheap but cheap right now is about $3000 for 4. Here is a picure of them

https://instagram.com/p/5w8C_GHYSZ/

Those aren't quite the "baby" calves I was picturing. If the vet personally checked them, he's probably on to something as far as taking it easy with the creep. You don't mention how much they were getting, but too much can certainly cause runny stool.

I picked them up 4 days ago. Not sure how much the previous owners were feeding them. I did see the feed and it didnt look like any creep feed I had ever seen.

BK9954":31lu3df3 said:
M.Magis":31lu3df3 said:
Those aren't quite the "baby" calves I was picturing.
What kind of calves were you picturing?
BABY calves.
Those are started calves.
Probably stress from shipping, diet change ect. if they aren't running temps or showing other problems they'll adjust.
Keep plenty of fresh water available to them and a shaded area would help.
The black one in back looks like he's got a bit of a 'hay belly' probably taken off milk before his rumen was ready for dry feed.

[/quote]
The black one in back looks like he's got a bit of a 'hay belly' probably taken off milk before his rumen was ready for dry feed.[/quote]
Yes I was concerned about her bloating. I figured it was from being pulled off momma too quick. Anything I should give her? I have probiotics in a gel form. Would that help?

The black one in back looks like he's got a bit of a 'hay belly' probably taken off milk before his rumen was ready for dry feed.[/quote]
Yes I was concerned about her bloating. I figured it was from being pulled off momma too quick. Anything I should give her? I have probiotics in a gel form. Would that help?[/quote]
It sure wouldn;t hurt!

Latest posts