Backyard grassers must have come to the sale.

Help Support CattleToday:

It is an old joke, but is worth repeating.

In 1974, you could sell a load of calves and buy a brand new 1974 pickup.
In 2024, you can sell a load of calves . . . And buy a 1974 pickup
One of the troubles is finding a pickup in 2024 that is as basic as a 1974 pickup. We and the auto industry need all these extras on our vehicles. All those extras add up to a lot of money. Dealers just don't even carry a pickup as plain Jane as the standard one was in 1974.

One of the troubles is finding a pickup in 2024 that is as basic as a 1974 pickup. We and the auto industry need all these extras on our vehicles. All those extras add up to a lot of money. Dealers just don't even carry a pickup as plain Jane as the standard one was in 1974.
I agree, there are a lot of us that just want a plain Jane truck to use as a truck. You can't even get a stick shift anymore either. Most of today's vehicles have so much stuff on them, they stay in the shop a lot and it cost an arm and a leg to fix them. My truck is 22 years old and my wife's Tahoe is 18 years old and we plan to just keep driving them.

Just a few days ago I had a sale that came across my facebook some 6 weight steers sell for $3.18. I'm for sure, but I think it was somewhere around Lebanon Kansas.

I don't think anything has kept up with the inflation on vehicles, they are way overpriced and people just keep buying them and making payments longer and longer.
It's not just vehicles. In 1972 he bought 80 acres with 40 water shares. Couldn't buy it today for 20 times the money.
4 years ago I bought 3 shares of the same water shares for 5k each .
Wich would mean the water shares alone (without the property) are worth at least 200k !
Look at the average house prices in the 1970s then look at what it would cost to build a very similar house today !

I agree, there are a lot of us that just want a plain Jane truck to use as a truck. You can't even get a stick shift anymore either. Most of today's vehicles have so much stuff on them, they stay in the shop a lot and it cost an arm and a leg to fix them. My truck is 22 years old and my wife's Tahoe is 18 years old and we plan to just keep driving them.
We have 4 assorted pickups. A 94, 97, 2000, and 2002. Not going to buy anything newer. The newest vehicle is a 2008 KIA that has almost 300,000 miles on it.

All of my vehicles here are 78 ford ranger standard, 93 ranger, standard; 2000 subaru forester 250,000 miles new engine and automatic trans, 2001 subaru outback 235,000 ,miles with new "used" engine, automatic, 1998 f-250 v-10 automatic from parents estate, and the 2012 ford explorer that is getting sold, from my parents estate... hate it...

All the trucks on the farm are f-250 and f-350, 2000 or older... exception is dually which is something like a 2016, also from my parents estate, and it is real nice to ride in and a miserable B#@%H everytime something goes wrong and costs a frickin mint to fix... put a new auto transmission in the one 98/99 f-250 we use with the bale bed... the only one except the dually that is automatic... Every truck on the farm is diesel....

Have no intentions to buy anything newer.... too much crap on the 2 vehicles that are 2012 and 2016... wouldn't want to deal with a newer one than them for sure...

I don't think anything has kept up with the inflation on vehicles, they are way overpriced and people just keep buying them and making payments longer and longer.
My Dad taught high school auto body all my childhood and before I was born, he started in 74 I believe. He ordered a brand new corvette same year and it only cost about 60% of his first year's salary, now it would almost take 3 years of a teacher's salary to buy a corvette. It would take a full year of a teacher's salary to buy almost any decent, basic new car today. Vehicle prices are out of control.
I heard a girl on tik tok talking about her and her husbands vehicles, they financed a new top of the line GM truck and a new Tahoe for around $160,000 @ 14% interest, payment is around $3,000/month for them. Been paying on them for 2 years now and still owe almost what they gave, THAT IS FREAKING INSANE.

There sure seem to be a lot of people that will pay anything that's asked, and they like to tell everyone what they paid as though it's a status symbol to be able to afford the payments.

The dealerships started to make it a strategy back in the eighties, to sell upgrades by telling people that the resale value would be higher on a "loaded" vehicle. The add-ons would often be as much as the base model. And the public bought it. But the bells and whistles are the most likely thing to break on a vehicle and those parts depreciate faster than the basic truck.

Dealerships would stock stripped trucks and keep them in the back lot to be sold to companies, not the public unless someone could find their way through the maze of obstacles dealerships put up. And then the dealerships even began to tell companies they would come out ahead if they bought loaded trucks.

There's a reason salespeople at dealerships call their customers, "fish", and other derogatory names. And yet if you tell people what the dealerships are doing they will often defend the people raping them.

We have 4 assorted pickups. A 94, 97, 2000, and 2002. Not going to buy anything newer. The newest vehicle is a 2008 KIA that has almost 300,000 miles on it.
I've been buying wrecked vehicles from Copart. Insurance companies will total vehicles for light and easily repaired damage. I've bought two 2012 Tacomas with 68/72K miles, five and three years ago, one for just under 10K and one just over... and I fixed them in my driveway for less than $500 using common hand tools. Neither required replacing body panels.

The guy that I buy them through bought a big Super-Duty Ford diesel for 18K and used it as is for transporting vehicles around the country.

The dealerships started to make it a strategy back in the eighties, to sell upgrades by telling people that the resale value would be higher on a "loaded" vehicle. The add-ons would often be as much as the base model. And the public bought it. But the bells and whistles are the most likely thing to break on a vehicle and those parts depreciate faster than the basic truck.

Dealerships would stock stripped trucks and keep them in the back lot to be sold to companies, not the public unless someone could find their way through the maze of obstacles dealerships put up. And then the dealerships even began to tell companies they would come out ahead if they bought loaded trucks.

There's a reason salespeople at dealerships call their customers, "fish", and other derogatory names. And yet if you tell people what the dealerships are doing they will often defend the people raping them.

Your 2nd paragraph is flat out wrong. The manufacturers have fleet sales that deal with businesses that buy hundreds of vehicles. Dealerships will sell to businesses that buy multiple vehicles annually. The dealerships do stock the more base trucks when they have customers for them. I spent 10 years in the auto retail business and 3 of them were managing the truck departments of 3 of them. We had ag customers that wanted more basic trucks and we stocked and sold them all the time. I will also tell you that the manufactures packaging the SLT, XLT and other upgraded trim packages came with a packaged discount deal from the manufacturer, not the dealer. I will also mention that it was pretty rare to sell trucks without power windows, power locks, and AC even in Wisconsin. Most of the farmers wanted the rubber floor of the ST or XT, but the power equipment of the SLT, XLT.

What I really suggest is you find somebody that has been selling trucks for at least 5 years or so and knows what they're talking about. Tell them what you actually want and if they don't have it can you order it. You do have to wait if you order, but that's how you get what you want very specifically. I ordered our trucks and for the 2500/3500 series I would always add tow package, limited slip differential, sliding rear window and a few other things that slip my mind (it was 25 years ago), they were all in the $100 to $300 range each, but it made a work truck unsaleable if you didn't have them.

I will agree there are scheisters in the car business and they're usually pretty transparent if you pay attention. For the most part they bounce from dealer to dealer and talk all kinds of idiocy. However the guys that actually make a living selling cars, the actual pros, know what they're doing, will treat you with respect and do the best they can for you. Now I'm going to ask you to ask yourself a question. Since you appear to be one of those people that believes car salesmen are all liars and theives, how many lies did tell them when you were buying your truck? It was pretty rare that I didn't have to ignore lies or insults selling people the first time or two. After that they found out I was a respectable person trying to make a living, just like them, and wasn't trying to "rape" them.

Your 2nd paragraph is flat out wrong. The manufacturers have fleet sales that deal with businesses that buy hundreds of vehicles. Dealerships will sell to businesses that buy multiple vehicles annually. The dealerships do stock the more base trucks when they have customers for them. I spent 10 years in the auto retail business and 3 of them were managing the truck departments of 3 of them. We had ag customers that wanted more basic trucks and we stocked and sold them all the time. I will also tell you that the manufactures packaging the SLT, XLT and other upgraded trim packages came with a packaged discount deal from the manufacturer, not the dealer. I will also mention that it was pretty rare to sell trucks without power windows, power locks, and AC even in Wisconsin. Most of the farmers wanted the rubber floor of the ST or XT, but the power equipment of the SLT, XLT.

What I really suggest is you find somebody that has been selling trucks for at least 5 years or so and knows what they're talking about. Tell them what you actually want and if they don't have it can you order it. You do have to wait if you order, but that's how you get what you want very specifically. I ordered our trucks and for the 2500/3500 series I would always add tow package, limited slip differential, sliding rear window and a few other things that slip my mind (it was 25 years ago), they were all in the $100 to $300 range each, but it made a work truck unsaleable if you didn't have them.

I will agree there are scheisters in the car business and they're usually pretty transparent if you pay attention. For the most part they bounce from dealer to dealer and talk all kinds of idiocy. However the guys that actually make a living selling cars, the actual pros, know what they're doing, will treat you with respect and do the best they can for you. Now I'm going to ask you to ask yourself a question. Since you appear to be one of those people that believes car salesmen are all liars and theives, how many lies did tell them when you were buying your truck? It was pretty rare that I didn't have to ignore lies or insults selling people the first time or two. After that they found out I was a respectable person trying to make a living, just like them, and wasn't trying to "rape" them.

LOL... I've worked for four dealerships, all GM, and one a cash buyer for the vehicles they sold while the others floored vehicles. Fleet sales handled similarly but differently by each one. Sorry if I insulted you by stating what I've experienced differently.

And I've met people in dealerships that were honest, but I've never seen an owner that didn't either hire someone to manipulate customers to make sales and did it themselves, some more and some less.

The thing is... the dealerships have inside information that the customer doesn't. That's typical of many businesses. People in the business generate strategies they use on thousands of customers... and the customer only buys one vehicle every few years... so the dealerships have the advantage in every way possible. They don't tell their customers how a vehicle that's been on the lot for over 90 days can be negotiated, or that vehicles have "hold-backs" which guarantee the dealership a profit even when they advertise a vehicle at "below invoice"... or a customer bothers to negotiate a deal for a significant discount.

I've seen too many people hurt with the full knowledge of dealerships to think highly of them. But your milage may vary.

LOL... I've worked for four dealerships, all GM, and one a cash buyer for the vehicles they sold while the others floored vehicles. Fleet sales handled similarly but differently by each one. Sorry if I insulted you by stating what I've experienced differently.

And I've met people in dealerships that were honest, but I've never seen an owner that didn't either hire someone to manipulate customers to make sales and did it themselves, some more and some less.

The thing is... the dealerships have inside information that the customer doesn't. That's typical of many businesses. People in the business generate strategies they use on thousands of customers... and the customer only buys one vehicle every few years... so the dealerships have the advantage in every way possible. They don't tell their customers how a vehicle that's been on the lot for over 90 days can be negotiated, or that vehicles have "hold-backs" which guarantee the dealership a profit even when they advertise a vehicle at "below invoice"... or a customer bothers to negotiate a deal for a significant discount.

I've seen too many people hurt with the full knowledge of dealerships to think highly of them. But your milage may vary.

As I stated above there are plenty of less than honorable people in the auto business, but you can say that about just about any business.

As for your 3rd paragraph, what business on this planet is gives their customers every bit of information with regards to costs and inside incentives? Your entire paragraph reads that you don't believe they have the right to run a profitable business, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Lastly, there are plenty of crappy auto dealers, there is no denying this in my mind. However there are good ones too, but too many people believe they "know" how to buy an auto and get the best deal. Generally, they don't, which brings me back to my previous post about finding honorable people to deal with.

In no way was I insulted, but it seems to me that your posts are somehow all dealers are the bad guys and don't deserve to run a profitable business.

As I stated above there are plenty of less than honorable people in the auto business, but you can say that about just about any business.

As for your 3rd paragraph, what business on this planet is gives their customers every bit of information with regards to costs and inside incentives? Your entire paragraph reads that you don't believe they have the right to run a profitable business, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Lastly, there are plenty of crappy auto dealers, there is no denying this in my mind. However there are good ones too, but too many people believe they "know" how to buy an auto and get the best deal. Generally, they don't, which brings me back to my previous post about finding honorable people to deal with.

In no way was I insulted, but it seems to me that your posts are somehow all dealers are the bad guys and don't deserve to run a profitable business.
While I agree there are "better" dealerships... I've never seen one that wouldn't take advantage of a customer if they could. About the only thing that stops the "good" ones is plausible deniability, IMO.

I've seen women go into a dealership to buy a new car, and sold a used car for more than they could have bought a new one. I've seen people go into a dealership to buy a base model truck, told the dealership no longer carried them, and ended up with a truck at twice the price when what they came in to buy was on the back lot the entire time. I've seen someone go in to a service department to have a 50 cent thermostat gasket replaced, and drive out with a bill for over 5K in parts and labor in unnecessary work. To say nothing of expensive warranties that get sold with little real utility that won't be honored. And these examples aren't isolated or uncommon.

Yeah... all businesses that provide legitimate value deserve "to earn your business" and make a profit, but there are lines honest people don't cross.

In 1974 a new pickup truck was considered worn out with 100.000 miles on it and most were, dealers wouldn't even take them for trade in if they had close to 100k on them. At that time, the auto makers could make a vehicle that could run like a scalded ape but couldn't make it stop for hell, and the gas mileage was barely considered MILEage. I new truck today is expected to last at least 300k miles and is extremely safe to drive and gets decent gas mileage. My last truck I put well over 300,000 on it and it was still worth at least a 3rd of what I gave for it. Only thing that was ever done to it was brake pads 3 times and the oil changed every 5000 miles, the drivers seat was worn out though. The one I am driving now I have done nothing to and have 120,000 on it.

In 1974 a new pickup truck was considered worn out with 100.000 miles on it and most were, dealers wouldn't even take them for trade in if they had close to 100k on them. At that time, the auto makers could make a vehicle that could run like a scalded ape but couldn't make it stop for hell, and the gas mileage was barely considered MILEage. I new truck today is expected to last at least 300k miles and is extremely safe to drive and gets decent gas mileage. My last truck I put well over 300,000 on it and it was still worth at least a 3rd of what I gave for it. Only thing that was ever done to it was brake pads 3 times and the oil changed every 5000 miles, the drivers seat was worn out though. The one I am driving now I have done nothing to and have 120,000 on it.
Good point, some of them do last a lot longer now days, especially the 90s models- early 2000s but now I feel a lot are going the other way. Not so much that they will be worn out but they have more issues than they should for the price and age. I'm a big fan of 1999-2006 GM trucks, tahoes and suburbans or yukons, they run forever and can be repaired fairly cheap and easy. My wife has a 2006 Tahoe that is about to hit 300k, it has several oil leaks so I'm about to put a new motor in it and the paint on the hood is ffaded bad so a paint job as well. A reman motor with 4 year warranty is $2800 and the labor to swap it and change a few other things is $1000. In 2020 we had given my son the Tahoe for his 18th birthday and we got his truck back and sold it. During that time I bought her a 2016 z71 LTZ crewcab, it had been wrecked in the front end so I repaired it myself. It only had 47k on it and we sold it at 67k when vehicle prices were so high and bought the tahoe back. That 2016 already had a torque converter shutter at times which is very common with those newer GM trucks and suvs. There is no reason for a truck that new to already have transmission problems but I hear it all the time on the newer models and not just GM.

Latest posts