baytril or bio-mycin

Help Support CattleToday:

mtcowboy82

Reaction score
hey everybody! this is my first time, but basically my situation is this...i have cowboyed for about two years now and have always had somebody buying the meds i used.so i used what i had....this summer i will be running a herd of about 140 pairs on my own. so now its time to make my own decisions on the meds.....i have generally used la-200, but i realize that it is bad on livers and etc. and i have had somebody tell me recently that in his opinion i should be using bio-mysin or baytril..preferrably..baytril. i have done a little bit of homework on these two and have not come to any conclusions. the baytril seems to be one of those cures what ales you , but i have also heard i can be rough...so any feed back i can get from people would be great! thanks

LA200, biomycin, agrimycin, etc are basically all the same thing. Oxytetracycline. Biomycin does have something in it that keeps it from stinging at the injection site. The others don't.

Baytril is commonly used for respiratory problems...have heard of it used on scours. Same goes for Nuflor, but have also used it for joint & leg infections. Micotil is also one of the stronger drugs out there but that one will kill you if you are careless with it. Not worth it to me. Excenel has a much, much shorter withdrawal time (slaughter-4 days) as opposed to the others (28-38 days) so that can be a factor too... There's a couple others out there (ie, penicillin, Excede, Draxxin, etc) but those are the common, stronger drugs.

Basically, what drug you use depends on what the problem is. ;-)

thanks milkmaid....i guess it comes down to. is it possible to have a "cure all" with out risking too much.this baytril stuff sounded like it was a pretty good middle of the road drug....knocks the heck out of what ever is wrong, with out killing you or the cow in thr process.........but i just wanna get all the info i can on it before making a decision......oh and what is the dosage? 5cc per hundred pounds?

I believe Baytril can only be given every 72 hours without risking cartilage damage in the calves. The dosage varies as to whether it's a single-dose or multiple-dose therapy. For single dose it's 3.5 - 5.5 cc's/100 lbs. For multiple-dose therapy it's 1.5 - 2.0 cc's/100 lbs.

Latest posts