Beef-master x F1-Brahma cross

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess it would depend on your goal. You would still get some nice heifers out of that cross, but the steers would take a pretty big hit. If I had those heifers I would put a good Angus or homo polled homo black Simmental Bull on them. The calves would be 1/4 Brahman, so the heifers would still make good replacements, and the steers would sell better with less ear.

I'm in central ms, and 20 Brahma cross bred, there crossed between a variety of different breeds

Can you breed reg beef master to f1 Brahma crosses?View attachment 43902
You can breed your f1s to an American bison or a water buffalo if you want to. But it won't guarantee you anything unless you have a market for what you get. And Beefmaster crossed with what you have in the picture will result in a conglomeration of visual delight... but some pretty heavy discounts at the point of sale.

Beefmaster are the most inconsistent breed there is. Some are short legged, long, beefy, short eared, spotted, and brockle faced... and others are long legged, solid coat, floppy eared, lightly muscled... and there is everything in between. With the right phenotype bull you might get some damn fine calves, but that's only a maybe.

If you want calves that sell they need to be black (sadly), and that means a homozygous bull. You can choose between Angus, Simmental, or Limousine to put some muscle on and to take some ear off, which will significantly impact the check you take home in a positive way.

It really comes down to whether you are in the business to make money... or to be an artist that doesn't give a damn about the money you make. Others have already mentioned these things and the big question is how much you want to take that advice to heart.

You can breed your f1s to an American bison or a water buffalo if you want to. But it won't guarantee you anything unless you have a market for what you get. And Beefmaster crossed with what you have in the picture will result in a conglomeration of visual delight... but some pretty heavy discounts at the point of sale.

Beefmaster are the most inconsistent breed there is. Some are short legged, long, beefy, short eared, spotted, and brockle faced... and others are long legged, solid coat, floppy eared, lightly muscled... and there is everything in between. With the right phenotype bull you might get some damn fine calves, but that's only a maybe.

If you want calves that sell they need to be black (sadly), and that means a homozygous bull. You can choose between Angus, Simmental, or Limousine to put some muscle on and to take some ear off, which will significantly impact the check you take home in a positive way.

It really comes down to whether you are in the business to make money... or to be an artist that doesn't give a damn about the money you make. Others have already mentioned these things and the big question is how much you want to take that advice to heart.
What I don't get is 1/4 Herf 1/4 SH 1/2 Brahman bred to 1/2 Herf 1/2 Brahman has no positive only negative from the SH color gene.
You end up with a 50%Brahman 44% Herf 6% SH.

Put an Angus or Herf bull on those F1 and you have a winner.
Worst cross I ever had was Limm Brahman absolutely nuts everyone!

I'm in central ms, and 20 Brahma cross bred, there crossed between a variety of different breeds
You'd raise a lot more valuable calves if you used a reg Angus rather than a reg BM. If you decide to use a black Simm or a Simangus, make sure it is homozygous for black and polled. Looks like a couple may be Char crossed, and those may throw an off-colored calf, but the rest should have black calves. You have a good looking set of heifers, there.

What I don't get is 1/4 Herf 1/4 SH 1/2 Brahman bred to 1/2 Herf 1/2 Brahman has no positive only negative from the SH color gene.

You think the SH was to clean up the bags and for milk?

We had the same issue with Limo over Brahman crosses. Most athletic and aggressive cattle we ever owned. 6' pens, regular barbed wire fences, and cattle guards would not hold them. They could clear them all with out hardly doing any damage. We ended up shooting some dead to cut our losses.

A farm up the road from us used to raise Brahmousins. I never could get a good look at them, all I ever saw was their rears and tails as they ran over the hill as soon as they would see us.

Put those limits x brahma crosses out with some stein bottle calves and you can really see the difference in flight instinct. That made an interesting winter dealing with them, wasn't a terrible time just two different speeds they operated at. Plus old pokey who had messed his back up and only had granny gear.

Latest posts