Beefmaster Herd Bull (to be)...

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score

Meet "Deacon". He turns a year old in 2 days. I thought I'd snap a pic, and he was relatively compliant.

He has at least 1 half brother in WacoCowboy's "Who do you like" post. Temp was low 40s with winds about 15-20 mph and a chill in the mid 30s. He has a very adequate scrotal circumference. He already passed the ultimate test, breeding a heifer at about 10 1/2 months before I could separate them upon delivery…had to get the Lutalyse out for that when she didn't cycle afterwards.

EC

He has a good underline, he's filled out but not too fat, looks good. If you covered his head you could swear you were looking at another breed bull, he's more refined than a lot of Beefmasters,

Kingfisher":3ilxxp4b said:
Where is he from? Looks like a Casey bull.

He's from Buster Beefmasters in Oologah, OK. He doesn't remind me much of a Casey bull. I think Watt Casey (more Watt Jr. now) produces cattle with a distinct look about them. Most of theirs have nothing more than a hole in their bellies. My bull will show just a little more sheath than he's showing in this photo. I think it's about ideal, though. If it's a Beefmaster, I want it to look like one...just a good one.

Is this him

Registration # c1033332
Something to be proud of good Lasister and Salt creek Breeding.
Lbar 5502 brreding :cboy:

thommoos":2d387w3w said:
Is this him

Registration # c1033332
Something to be proud of good Lasister and Salt creek Breeding.
Lbar 5502 brreding :cboy:

You've got it. I think there's a recipe for success with the combination of genetics this bull possesses. I like a total package, where the genetics and the looks match up to produce an exceptional animal. I like this bull plenty. He's not perfect, but I think he is very good as it relates to phenotype. He also has some of the same genetics running through him as the high-selling bull from the 2013 Beef on Forage Beefmaster bull sale. Hopefully Spring 2015 will reveal that I have a bull that can help help the breed.

EC

This is the 2014 full brother to the first bull pictured. This picture was taken when the calf was almost 5.5 months old. He's now weaned and penned to see how well he develops. I really like his style.

I prefer the first bull. I think he has a lot of potential and should develop into a studsire, the second bull is just a good average bull calf that should be very saleable to a good commercial outfit.

I haven't seen too many BM's I like (I'm usually not too big on the ear), but I he does look good..

As an aside, he has a good number.. #33 was the mother of all my best cows, and on a green tag to boot!

Are you going to have some calves from the first one this spring?

I'll hold judgement on the second boy until he gets a little older

Nesikep":bkoen546 said:
I haven't seen too many BM's I like (I'm usually not too big on the ear), but I he does look good..

As an aside, he has a good number.. #33 was the mother of all my best cows, and on a green tag to boot!

Are you going to have some calves from the first one this spring?

I'll hold judgement on the second boy until he gets a little older

Unfortunately, I won't. I had the 33 bull picked out as my herd bull. However, a gentleman came along and offered more than I was willing to turn down. He liked them dark red and polled even more than I do, I guess. That's when I ended up using the bull in my avatar. I have both of their little brothers again this year, and I'm not sure they aren't both better. I'll post an updated picture when I get the chance. I'm wondering if I should wait until he's almost a year like his brother was in the first photo…so we can compare apples to apples.

Still not completely apples to apples, but here's the little brother at 9 1/2 months.

EC

Little brother doesn't offend me at all, it doesn't look like he has the butt of big brother, and I don't think 2 1/2 months is going to make the difference
Just so we can see them on the same page...
LB321quotDeaconquot_zpsa93605c0.jpg

East Caney":1f2w6az5 said:

Still not completely apples to apples, but here's the little brother at 9 1/2 months.

EC

Lets have some info on him. What was his wean weight? He seems a little short when compared to the height of the fence. Not short legged. I love his clean sheath, conformation looks good. he looks to be a very good sound future bull. My only dislike is the lack of roundness to his hind quarters.

Latest posts