Best Cattle Crosses For Unassisted Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Rule of thumb here is an acre per cow. In some areas, if fertilized and limed to specs, broad leaves controlled, and the right amount of rain, etc., you might do 2 head per acre.
Wow. You mean I could run 80 cows on 160 acres easily? I want to move to Georgia. Maybe I'll get one of those rich Austin guys to buy my land and head that way. How much is land per acre there? In central Texas folks want 6500 to 8800 per acre now for land that will only run about one head per 10 acres… Some land closer to Austin is over 10,000 per acre…

Wow. You mean I could run 80 cows on 160 acres easily? I want to move to Georgia. Maybe I'll get one of those rich Austin guys to buy my land and head that way. How much is land per acre there? In central Texas folks want 6500 to 8800 per acre now for land that will only run about one head per 10 acres… Some land closer to Austin is over 10,000 per acre…

If I win the $700 million Powerball tonight, I will probably move over to Alabama, where farm land is still somewhat affordable. https://www.landandfarm.com/search/Alabama-land-for-sale/

If I win the $700 million Powerball tonight, I will probably move over to Alabama, where farm land is still somewhat affordable. https://www.landandfarm.com/search/Alabama-land-for-sale/
If Texas turns Californian with all the people moving into the high-tech sector and land gets crazy, I might move over there. Greener pastures and more productive. It still amazes me that unproductive land can end up costing so much more than productive land, but I guess in housing terms close to a huge city that is having an economic boom is important in terms of housing… But hopefully where I'm at won't see a population increase.

The other consensus was that you have to take what you can get at auction, unless you pay a premium. For me, that was not acceptable because I wanted a profit, so I got a motley crew of 6 cows and a calf that cost me around $4000.
I am going to assume that the calf is because one of those cows was a pair. So 6 cows for $4,000 is $666 per cow. I sold 2 calves to a friend from church. So I looked up details on those two pairs cost and brought. Based on the cow ear tag numbers I bought those cows the same day and paid $830 average that day. The cows killed for $888 and $1,012 both which were below average on the cows shipped to the plant. The calves weighed 450 each and I sold them for $2.10 a pound. They would bring that or more at the sale here. That is $945 each for the calves. So $888 + $1,012 + $945 + $945= $3,790. That $3,790 - $1,660 ( original purchase price) = $2,131 to pay for feed and profit. Cows bought in late February and gone to grass in late April so 60 days on feed. 60 x $3.00 a day on feed = $180. 110 days on pasture at $0.75 a day = $82.50. That adds up to $262.50 per cow. Times two cows = $525. So the income minus the major expenses $2,131 - $525 = $1606 into the black. There are a few minor expenses like vaccinations which I didn't calculate for this exercise but they wont total $100.

Those were not the two biggest and best calves I have. They just matched up what my friend wanted. I have seen 400 pound Corriente cross calves sell for $1.10 a pound in the last couple months. The same sales I have seen good beef calves that same size bring $2.35. If you were to look up the actual scientific studies (not internet claims) you will find that a 800 pound cow does not eat 50% of what a 1,600 cow eats. Although it is less there is not a straight correlation based on weight. That lighter cow actually eats more per pound of body weight than the heavier cow eats.

A decent beef cow bred to that same bull will make you more profit than the Corriente. I am not talking the top of the line cows but a decent cow. And they can be had for a reasonable price if you shop just a little. Buy decent cows and breed them to the best bull you can get.

Best thing you can do to avoid calving problems is to wait until your heifers are 18 months to put a bull on them. I know a lot of people put the bull right at 14, but I've seen more issues with those heifers getting calves stuck or abandoning the calf. All of mines got the bull at 18 months and all calved unassisted, alone, last December. Another one just calved again, 10 months later.

Best thing you can do to avoid calving problems is to wait until your heifers are 18 months to put a bull on them. I know a lot of people put the bull right at 14, but I've seen more issues with those heifers getting calves stuck or abandoning the calf. All of mines got the bull at 18 months and all calved unassisted, alone, last December. Another one just calved again, 10 months later.
Hard to manage that on my operation. Bull will be with them at 15 months. If I have consistent calving problems, will probably just start buying older cows.

You have a point. I first got the heifers, then I got the bull when they were ready.
When one really tired to run the numbers and make a profit under constrained circumstances, it does get tough to make every aspect of the operation ideal. Quickly ends up as an exercise on how to manage averages and risks. We'll see if I have a disaster next fall:).

At least it's going to be interesting!

When one really tired to run the numbers and make a profit under constrained circumstances, it does get tough to make every aspect of the operation ideal. Quickly ends up as an exercise on how to manage averages and risks. We'll see if I have a disaster next fall:).

At least it's going to be interesting!
6 cows is a hobby and a small tax write of for a bigger business. Here that would give you enough income to classify your land as agricultural and not residential, a likely savings of $150 per cow. That would be included on the plus side for profit.

6 cows is a hobby and a small tax write of for a bigger business. Here that would give you enough income to classify your land as agricultural and not residential, a likely savings of $150 per cow. That would be included on the plus side for profit.
Yeah. I get the ag exemption. Working on the income write off. Been keeping good records.

But still think the cows should pay for themselves, the fences, and feed at least. Tractor and other equipment is pretty much always going to be a loss, I think.

Quick review and update for everyone (promised I'd do these periodically:)).

Trying to start a herd on the cheap. Currently have 8 head I procured last summer: 6 breedable cows and 2 calves-a heifer and a small bull, which was born to a red cow after purchased. Originally wanted calving ease cattle, later figured out that if price and time is a concern, had to take what I could get.

Got the cattle back to my place last August and turned them out on good grass and gave them access to 30% tubs. Idea was to have them in good condition by Dec for breeding. Planned on buying and turning out a young bull before December 10th in order to start off with a fall calving season.

Had a bit of a disappointing experience. Put in an order for a bull before September 1 with the local auction house. Bull was to be delivered by December 15th and we'd meet them any week they made the purchase. Auction house said they'd be happy to do it, but never got back to me. Asked again on October 19th and they acted like they still wanted to do it. Still, by December 21st, no bull.

Ended up having to look for one quick and probably overpaid by about 20 to 30% because I needed him quick and had to have other people give me a quick turnaround (I was busy with work and with Christmas coming up choices were limited).

So, a word to the wise: Look for your bull from multiple sources early and often or you may end up without negotiating power if you want to pursue a certain calving season.

Final summary is that I have now added a mediocre type bull to my herd for $1800. Total herd cost is at about $5150. Still haven't sold a single calf but have made other outlays for cubes, tubs and salt to the tune of about $950.

Hoping to have at least 5 calves on the ground next Oct/Dec, but must admit that the business side is looking a bit iffy at this point. Still having fun, though.

See attached pic of bull. On the bright side, he's red angus, and I think they tend to often have a reputation for being smaller framed, so maybe he'll provide lots of unassisted calving. But then again, his brother standing next to him in the corral weighed 2000lbs.

Question: Will his neck get bigger as he ages or will he always look this effeminate? He's currently 18 months old. Wasn't that enamored with his confirmation characteristics, but again, that late in the game and with my constraints I had little negotiating power.

Attachments

• EF38A0BF-5311-4321-8B2B-F51A71ACEAA3.jpeg
    EF38A0BF-5311-4321-8B2B-F51A71ACEAA3.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 4C88B175-27F7-4D59-A0E3-F4E0035A1F34.jpeg
    4C88B175-27F7-4D59-A0E3-F4E0035A1F34.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 24
Might just keep an eye on his condition or even better get ahead of it with some feed. He has age, chasing cows, and winter all working against him. It could run a young bull down fast especially when they don't have much extra flesh build up.

Some one else can probably explain it better but he will be losing his teeth here in the future. Hopefully that will align with when you pull him after the cows are bred. It would probably be a good idea to pen him and get him bulked up.

How was his fertility test? He looks like he is ready to go.

Quick review and update for everyone (promised I'd do these periodically:)).

Trying to start a herd on the cheap. Currently have 8 head I procured last summer: 6 breedable cows and 2 calves-a heifer and a small bull, which was born to a red cow after purchased. Originally wanted calving ease cattle, later figured out that if price and time is a concern, had to take what I could get.

Got the cattle back to my place last August and turned them out on good grass and gave them access to 30% tubs. Idea was to have them in good condition by Dec for breeding. Planned on buying and turning out a young bull before December 10th in order to start off with a fall calving season.

Had a bit of a disappointing experience. Put in an order for a bull before September 1 with the local auction house. Bull was to be delivered by December 15th and we'd meet them any week they made the purchase. Auction house said they'd be happy to do it, but never got back to me. Asked again on October 19th and they acted like they still wanted to do it. Still, by December 21st, no bull.

Ended up having to look for one quick and probably overpaid by about 20 to 30% because I needed him quick and had to have other people give me a quick turnaround (I was busy with work and with Christmas coming up choices were limited).

So, a word to the wise: Look for your bull from multiple sources early and often or you may end up without negotiating power if you want to pursue a certain calving season.

Final summary is that I have now added a mediocre type bull to my herd for $1800. Total herd cost is at about $5150. Still haven't sold a single calf but have made other outlays for cubes, tubs and salt to the tune of about $950.

Hoping to have at least 5 calves on the ground next Oct/Dec, but must admit that the business side is looking a bit iffy at this point. Still having fun, though.

See attached pic of bull. On the bright side, he's red angus, and I think they tend to often have a reputation for being smaller framed, so maybe he'll provide lots of unassisted calving. But then again, his brother standing next to him in the corral weighed 2000lbs.

Question: Will his neck get bigger as he ages or will he always look this effeminate? He's currently 18 months old. Wasn't that enamored with his confirmation characteristics, but again, that late in the game and with my constraints I had little negotiating power.
He's got some rump, not a lot of gut, a decent top line, and he's not wasty up front. All positives. As you pointed out though, not very masculine. If he throws calves that look like him that will be a good thing.

Might just keep an eye on his condition or even better get ahead of it with some feed. He has age, chasing cows, and winter all working against him. It could run a young bull down fast especially when they don't have much extra flesh build up.

Some one else can probably explain it better but he will be losing his teeth here in the future. Hopefully that will align with when you pull him after the cows are bred. It would probably be a good idea to pen him and get him bulked up.

How was his fertility test? He looks like he is ready to go.
His winter grazing situation should be better than most places, I'd think. First cold snap was this week, and the cows are out in green winter grass and clover. Also have 30% tubs out for them and have been cubing them every day during our frequent hunts, so not too worried.
They still have a bit of hay coming up along with 60 more stockpiled acres to be given access to in Feb/Mar, in spite of only being turned into their current 65 acre home in the middle of Dec.

So, nutrition-wise he should be good.

I know it's considered a huge mistake, but we didn't get a fertility test. Not possible at this time. But he was trying to breed all the cows in his home pasture, which is one reason the rancher decided to pull him out and sell him. He also went straight for the cows hind ends when he got off the trailer, so hopefully that is indicative of acceptable fertility. From what I've read, an 18 month old bull should be able to handle 6 cows no problem.

Will enjoy the wait!

I'll post pics of calves and a summary of my financial results as they come in.

See pics for one of their winter pastures. Been a nice, easy winter so far for the central Texas cattle.

Attachments

• E8019848-7D9B-4813-A761-412522BF96B5.jpeg
    E8019848-7D9B-4813-A761-412522BF96B5.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 853F6EDE-2889-4642-A0FA-CD8B7A2E2107.jpeg
    853F6EDE-2889-4642-A0FA-CD8B7A2E2107.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 3C6A8C23-EB94-46F0-8D54-39BFDFF824A6.jpeg
    3C6A8C23-EB94-46F0-8D54-39BFDFF824A6.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 451B6415-6BAA-4048-BC43-B52B771D0365.jpeg
    451B6415-6BAA-4048-BC43-B52B771D0365.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
He's got some rump, not a lot of gut, a decent top line, and he's not wasty up front. All positives. As you pointed out though, not very masculine. If he throws calves that look like him that will be a good thing.
Plan on keeping him through two breeding seasons and then switching. Hopefully we'll be smarter next time. Newbie mistakes seem to have abounded in our situation.

Still thankful to enjoy this opportunity, though!

I'll post pics of his calves.

He also went straight for the cows hind ends when he got off the trailer, so hopefully that is indicative of acceptable fertility. From what I've read, an 18 month old bull should be able to handle 6 cows no problem.
Interest in cows says something about libido... but nothing about fertility.

On the other hand, odds are that he's fertile. If you preg check in a couple of months you should know for sure.

As far as a young bull on six cows... I've run an 18 month old bull on 40 cows with good results. I know that's not recommended, but I did it and the calves were excellent and the bull in good condition afterward.

Latest posts