Best Cow/Worst Cow thread

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
I guess to feed off the idea of the replacement heifer thread.
Mass discussions on desired traits, production, etc. So I thought it'd be interesting to give my own thoughts on why I label these are my best and worst cow and maybe others will care to share theirs also .....

Best cow. Meyer's Royal Queen. Purchased as a bred heifer. She's docile. She is sometimes too smart, but mostly like a dog and knows where I'm going and what I'm doing and why, so she's great at leading the rest of the herd if need be. Two calves so far in her young life. Both bull calves. Unassisted with both. Top notch maternal instincts. I watched her calf her first and it was 30 degrees, freezing rain. Bull calf got up with 40 minutes and she hollered at him to follow her till they got to protection in the leanto. Then pushed him to milk like she'd done it 10 times before. She's bred due in Sept. to VAR Reserve (heifer sexed). Very anxious to get some daughters out of her.
Her faults = Good milk but bag needs to be better. Didn't breed back quick enough after first calf, but did after second calf.

Royal Queen in stride

Worst Cow = Belhmann's Barbara. Purchased as bred heifer. Bad bag, bad feet. subpar maternal instincts. She'll go sooner than later. Still a growing herd with plenty of pasture and not enough replacements yet. Bred due to Hoover Dam in Sept.

Positives = Spits em out fast calving ease. Raises nice solid calf.

Thanks for any more additional input. Constructive criticism much appreciated. ;-)

:pop:

I have a whole bunch that look just like the second cow. They work well here. Maternal but not so much that they get drug down.

I don't really have access to my pictures from here.. but I'll post some up when I go to town next.

Best cow was my old girl Rosie.. sometimes a little slow to breed back, but we had uncorrected mineral deficiencies back then... excellent momma, had 16 calves and a perfect udder throughout her life, docile... Most of her daughters and granddaughters are top-notch too.... Her sister's daughter Mega is pretty darned good too.

Worst cow? well, that's a long list of candidates, most of which aren't here anymore, A lot of them came from a family that produced heavy, but had tons of structural problems.. hooves, prolapses, bad bags, miserable attitudes.

cow pollinater":114cesio said:
I have a whole bunch that look just like the second cow. They work well here. Maternal but not so much that they get drug down.
She's very wide in the hook, tries to take the shoot with her every time. And she sheds and slicks up very well, and doesn't seem to mind the heat anymore or less than average, but easily spends 25% or more time in the pond than the other cows. She'll probably stick around longer than I'm thinking ......

torogmc81":11l04fjg said:
cow pollinater":11l04fjg said:
She's very wide in the hook, tries to take the shoot with her every time. And she sheds and slicks up very well, and doesn't seem to mind the heat anymore or less than average, but easily spends 25% or more time in the pond than the other cows. She'll probably stick around longer than I'm thinking ......
Not trying to get off thread topic. But, what does wide in the hook mean? I have seen hooks mentioned before but I have no idea what they are. Can you explain please?

hookspins.jpg

Latest posts