Best Fish

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
Was on Alabama's beautiful Gulf coast recently and sampled the seafood there. Still say that bluegill and shellcracker is the best eating fish to ever lay in a platter.

Hard to beat grouper snapper cobia and snook. Just cooked up some blackened cobia for supper tonight. Only freshwater fish that I've tried and liked is spec

I would say a walleye about 16" long....of course a wally is nothing more than a big perch which the bluegill is a member of.

In some places in Asia, I have read that "fishermen" pour DDT into the water and scoop up the dying fish. I do think I'll stick to Alabama and Mississippi raised catfish for my store bought fish.

highgrit":1tps6hw6 said:
Mullet for fish taste and golden tile fish for a sweet taste. Buy US caught seafood only.
Ohhh that golden tile is good stuff. Only had it once but holy moly. Also forgot to mention sushi grade tuna with a but of soy and wasabi. Ill put a hurtin on that stuff

I prefer any of the various rockfish look alot like Groupers but not as big. A friend of mine caught a bunch of them and stated that the tatsed so good they should be classified as BEEF, and I agree

Wow, are you guys really this far out of you league? Best fish period, fresh halibut deep fried or baked. Next steelhead, next fresh salmon. But I can't forget fresh sea bass or by another name black bass. You are what you eat! :D

Alan

Alan":2xoujaso said:
Wow, are you guys really this far out of you league? Best fish period, fresh halibut deep fried or baked. Next steelhead, next fresh salmon. But I can't forget fresh sea bass or by another name black bass. You are what you eat! :D

Alan
I could never understand the PNWs fixation with salmon/trout. Whne I was a kid everytime a lake got to be decent bass fishing they would retenone it and replant trout.
Even the trout frmo the high mountain lakes suck compared to the spinyray types like bluegill, bass, etc.

You can have your salmon. Not a fan.
But give me a cold water rainbow, some flour and butter and a skillet, and don't get in my way

houstoncutter":3drr8ht0 said:
I would say a walleye about 16" long....of course a wally is nothing more than a big perch which the bluegill is a member of.

I agree on the walleye. We just dont have many of them here to catch. If I was further north I would be a fishing fool.

dun":2l67jlce said:
Alan":2l67jlce said:

Alan
I could never understand the PNWs fixation with salmon/trout. Whne I was a kid everytime a lake got to be decent bass fishing they would retenone it and replant trout.
Even the trout frmo the high mountain lakes suck compared to the spinyray types like bluegill, bass, etc.

Dun, I really don't like trout, except camping, mushy fish, like cat fish. Salmon was my third choice, but I love it with color. I know steelhead is a sea run rainbow trout, but it's not really. Great firm white meat, like halibut..... Deep fried halibut is the best.

Alan

We do have walleye out here, planted years ago, I have never tasted one, but is number one on my fish list to try...... Can't wait.

Alan

kenny thomas":2rfl8i9a said:
houstoncutter":2rfl8i9a said:

I agree on the walleye. We just dont have many of them here to catch. If I was further north I would be a fishing fool.

Houston we have a problem, you fell and hit your head.
Nothing beats good fresh Spec's with Shrimp and Oyster's.

My three favorites: Walleye, Grouper and the colder Pacific rock fish -- none easily accessible here. Like nice fresh, salmon also, but that's not quite so hard to find out here.

J. T.":11xric7w said:
In some places in Asia, I have read that "fishermen" pour DDT into the water and scoop up the dying fish. I do think I'll stick to Alabama and Mississippi raised catfish for my store bought fish.
J.T., I didn't know they were doing that for "food fish," but for many years, dropping poisons or blasting the water was they way they harvested salt water aquarium fish, which also killed many of the coral beds. Various govt's have come down hard on that practice in recent years.

ousoonerfan22":3e9uxel9 said:
I know nobody will agree with me but I think flathead catfish is the best.
I read it as "fathead" catfish and wondered how pinz got into the conversation as a catfish.

I've eaten most everything previously mentioned and until a few years ago I would have went with the fresh caught Alaskan halibut. Now, I gotta go with the rockfish. When cooked right it's one of those flavors you may never forget.

Latest posts