Best pipe gates, and why?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I locked some heavy springers in the barn last night, because we had tornado warnings. 1 red cow wasn't happy about it, and customized a 12' pipe gate when she jumped over the middle. Most of my gates are on legs so there 64" high and the cows don't put their nose over the top. This gate just happened to not be one of those.

So I was just wondering what brand of gates everybody likes and why?
I've got some Sioux gates, and a couple old Franklin gates that are bomb proof. My new favorites are corral gates from GoBob.com The cows and I can't break them, but there in OK and unless I put a semi load together it's to hard to get them here.
Farm store gates with there "z" bar supports just don't cut it.

Powder River classic. I have a 14 foot one out here that has had several big cows teetering on top of it. Not even a hint of a bend. And I do like the latch system on these gates too.
It could be because Powder River chutes and gates got their start in Baker City Oregon (the Powder River runs right through town). But all the ranches around here almost exclusively use Powder River gates in their corrals. These are all bigger ranches where the cows spend 6-8 months out on the range. Corrals are built tall and gates take lots of abuse.

I have some Powder River classic bow gates. I'm the third high use owner. They originally came from the Chicago Stock Yards. When the Stock Yards closed in '71 the local sale barn bought a couple rail cars full of PR bow gates and classic panels. When the sale barn closed in '10 I bought some from them. They've been beat, banged, slammed, jumped on, rusted, cracked, and rewelded. And they are still the pens that I put the crazy cows in. I haven't had any problems with the top trail of the gates there still solid enough to weld to.
My only problem with PR is that the closest dealer is about 100 miles away in MO.

Maybe stouter gates I'm not familiar with but my long time experience with Powder River Classic products is they're built to withstand extreme punishment. Sorted out a neighbors wild azz bull last year and he slammed full bore and over the top of a PR 14' gate and the only damage was a slightly bent handle which while a little bit wonky still works fine.

SBMF 2015 said:
I locked some heavy springers in the barn last night, because we had tornado warnings. 1 red cow wasn't happy about it, and customized a 12' pipe gate when she jumped over the middle. Most of my gates are on legs so there 64" high and the cows don't put their nose over the top. This gate just happened to not be one of those.

I've got some Sioux gates, and a couple old Franklin gates that are bomb proof. My new favorites are corral gates from GoBob.com The cows and I can't break them, but there in OK and unless I put a semi load together it's to hard to get them here.
I have installed some Gobob gates one has the pipe hinges wearing out on the top where it rotates above the collar and no way to repair except cut it off and install different hinges. I really like the heavy priefert gates.

hurleyjd said:
SBMF 2015 said:

I have installed some Gobob gates one has the pipe hinges wearing out on the top where it rotates above the collar and no way to repair except cut it off and install different hinges. I really like the heavy priefert gates.

I'll have to check those out.
I prefer the weld on style GoBob hinges. They should put a grease zirk in them.
You should be able to split a piece of pipe length ways wrap it around the hinge and weld it to strengthen it.

In Canada, Morand builds the most heavy duty panels and gates. Unfortunately, they are expensive and the dealer we once had won't stock their equipment any longer so we have gone to Hi Hog.

Our old Morand chute was purchased in 1987 and was retired last year after thousands of cattle mainly because the floor was done. May rebuild it yet but the rest is tired too.

It would be hard to beat the Sioux Steel 2" Victory line of gates. They use 16ga 55,000 psi steel and they are guaranteed for life!! I also like the fact that they are still all hand welded and come with a powder-coat finish that holds up very well. Their hinges are very heavy-duty and you have better have a solid post to mount to just due to the weight of the gates.

Sioux is where my maturnity pen came from. I love it! Sioux makes Victory gates 62" high also . I talked to the place where I got it earlier this spring. They quoted me $277.00 for a 62" high x 1 6' Victory gate.

SBMF 2015 said:
I have some Powder River classic bow gates. I'm the third high use owner. They originally came from the Chicago Stock Yards. When the Stock Yards closed in '71 the local sale barn bought a couple rail cars full of PR bow gates and classic panels. When the sale barn closed in '10 I bought some from them. They've been beat, banged, slammed, jumped on, rusted, cracked, and rewelded. And they are still the pens that I put the crazy cows in. I haven't had any problems with the top trail of the gates there still solid enough to weld to.
My only problem with PR is that the closest dealer is about 100 miles away in MO.

Only 100 miles? That is less than 2 hours each way. Something are worth the drive. Contact Powder River and find out their sales rep for the area. Tell him your issue. I know the rep here in this area would figure out how to get it to your door.

Started with welded wire panels and Holstein gates. Used a gate pinch since we did not have a head gate. :shock: Sales barn beefers were hard on them, and me. Culled the culprits.

Stocker Steve said:
Buy medium gates and cull accordingly.

It was a one n' done cow that customized this gate. Hmm, wonder why she was at the sale? Lol. If you play that game very long your bound to get some problems along the way.

Latest posts