Better stock up on feedstore antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes. My vet told me if stored properly and HANDLED properly, it is effective for a long time.
But. Handling properly also means you NEVER insert a used needle into the bottle. So easy to break that rule. You get a new needle and syringe, draw 20cc, inject it and draw another 20cc. Contaminated the whole bottle.

Yes. My vet told me if stored properly and HANDLED properly, it is effective for a long time.
But. Handling properly also means you NEVER insert a used needle into the bottle. So easy to break that rule. You get a new needle and syringe, draw 20cc, inject it and draw another 20cc. Contaminated the whole bottle.
Good point Jeanne.
I put a clean needle in the lid and withdraw whatever im using. Leave that needle in and put one on the syringe to give the shot. A used needle never goes in the bottle here. Thats part of BQA certification actually.

I take one new needle and insert it in the vial. Then attach the syringe and withdraw the medicine. Put a new needle on that syringe and use it. Meanwhile, another new syringe has been attached to that withdraw only needle that never leaves the bottle. When finished, attach another new syringe and put it back in the fridge. That way the vial is only punctured one time.

edit: oh, thats what kenny said also. The expiry date is stamped on the box and vial. My question is how long is the stuff still good after it has been opened (properly). I think some meds are still effective after the expiry date. Its like on Jun1 they are good but on June 2nd they're not?

75% is just a example type guess. No one knows for sure. I doubt if expired drugs have been tested and they sure wouldn't release the results if they have. The question came up if it was safe to use in a emergency if thats all you had. The speaker said yes, it just might not work as well as a fresh bottle and that the the
efficacy would work less as the product got older.

As was explanined to me at a cattle conference. If the drug is taken care of as mentioned, the expiry date is when it theoretically starts to lose some of its potency. A year after expiration it may only work at 75% as good as a new product.
I feel the taking care of the product is more important than the expiration date. As stated if not contaminated and not allowed to get too hot, freeze, not be in sunlight will extend the time it could be used.
I have a small refrigerator that is just for vaccines and antibiotics. It stays a constant temperature that way.

Last edited:

Latest posts