Big ears, old wives tale?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I heard from a rancher a long time ago, cows with big ears raise bigger calves. I guess it's more a comparison within a breed than across breeds, but some of my best cows in fact do have quite big ears

Guess it goes well with where the hair whorl is placed on their forehead as an indicator of temperament (I haven't really found that to be true)

Nesikep said:
I heard from a rancher a long time ago, cows with big ears raise bigger calves. I guess it's more a comparison within a breed than across breeds, but some of my best cows in fact do have quite big ears

Guess it goes well with where the hair whorl is placed on their forehead as an indicator of temperament (I haven't really found that to be true)

That's not a saying here, but I have noticed a correlation. For me, a long headed cow usually has a nice calf.

76 Bar said:
a long headed cow usually has a nice calf.
Long head and exceptionally wide muzzle works for me.

Wide muzzle just means they can eat faster and more!

I like cows with a long but kinda slender head, though I've had really good cows with shorter, blockier heads

Here's 2 full sisters and a daughter, all with daughters this year

First one, she's definitely the nicest cow and has the nicest daughter.. they're the wider muzzle style

1 year younger sister, I like her head shape a little better, she's a less filled out, but she makes good calves

daughter of the one above, I like the head shape of her and her daughter too

Probably something to that along with the hair part location on the forehead. I have noticed, also cows with longer/bigger ears are less prone to pinkeye it seems.

Nesikep said:

I don't put any credibility in the location of the whorl. According to the tale: If the whorl is above a line through the eyes, they are docile; if the whorl is below a line through the eyes, they have an ill temperament.

I rarely see the whorl below the line through the eyes in my herd and based on that my herd is consistently docile. However, the few that had the whorl below the eyes were very docile.

Since I halter break all the calves. Docility is important. I have had a few that were stubborn to break and the whorl was above the line through the eyes.

Everytime I see this topic come Up, Big Ears Old Wives , that is what immediately comes to mind , Old Wives with Big Ears. Because the ears never stop growing as you age. :hide:

Nesikep said:
I thought it was the other way around, higher whorl = hot headed... either way, I can't tell much on mine
That is what I have always heard. I have noticed some of my cows that are gentle have the low whorl, but not sure just how consistent that is...

Nesikep said:
Brute 23 said:
Haven't the Brahman people been saying this since... forever :kid:

'bout weaning time for him, no? How old is he?

Around 9 mo. He is one of the first born. It finally got dry and I need to get them out. If it was raining I wouldnt worry about it. He isn't slowing his momma down any. She had a big bag still.

Brute 23 said:
Nesikep said:
Brute 23 said:
Haven't the Brahman people been saying this since... forever :kid:

Around 9 mo. He is one of the first born. It finally got dry and I need to get them out. If it was raining I wouldnt worry about it. He isn't slowing his momma down any. She had a big bag still.
he's got quite the bag too

Nesikep said:
Brute 23 said:
Nesikep said:

Ya all that bull's calves are like that. They hang low from birth. I'm going to add a castration ease epd. :)

Brute 23 said:
Nesikep said:
Brute 23 said:

Ya all that bull's calves are like that. They hang low from birth. I'm going to add a castration ease epd. :)
if it was -10F he might not do so well though, but you dont' have to worry much about that

Latest posts