Blessed With Heifers Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Quickdraw Farm

Reaction score
I held back 40 heifers last year. I waited until they were 15 months old and turned them in with a 5 year old Horned Hereford bull. I bought the bull from a friend based on his calving ease and previous calving track record with heifers. I was blessed! The last one was born yesterday. 40, that's right, forty heifers had healthy calves with no assistance. What a blessing! Here are pictures of the last three born. Wow, am I feeling fortunate! I have always been nervous about keeping heifers. I usually sell them and replace them with young cows. But this group was different, I raised and know their mama's and like them a lot, some are brangus and some are angus, but I like all of their mamas so I decided to roll the dice and take the road less traveled. I am glad I did. But honestly I am not likely to do it again for a while, it's too dang worrisome. Blessed in the Sunshine State!

Ps. I don't know why the photos are sideways. I really don't have enough sense to work this computer. I can barely turn it on. Good luck yall!

That may be a record ! 40 / 40 and no assists ! I had one heifer to calve this spring, watched her night and day and still lost the calf ! Congrats !

Dang good looking calves! I agree you had some good fortune, however, your prior planning laid the groundwork for success. Good job.

Sweet! On a much smaller scale, we kept 5 replacements out of cows we love and had equally great luck. I was soooooo nervous, but the girls performed well and are raising great calves. Congrats on your 40!

That's pretty darned good! better than my record this year (2 heifers, 1 cesarian), though all the cows did it on their own for years now

Good job!!!!!!! 40 out of 40 :banana:

I don't know why everyone is so worried about calving heifers. If the heifers are of age out of proven cows or from a proven breeder and are bred to PROVEN low birth weight bull. You shouldn't have much more trouble then cows calving. But buying heifers from Joe blow or unproven bulls can be a trainweck. :bang:

Quickdraw Farm":2ut9ae4i said:
I held back 40 heifers last year. I waited until they were 15 months old and turned them in with a 5 year old Horned Hereford bull. I bought the bull from a friend based on his calving ease and previous calving track record with heifers. I was blessed! The last one was born yesterday. 40, that's right, forty heifers had healthy calves with no assistance. What a blessing! Here are pictures of the last three born. Wow, am I feeling fortunate! I have always been nervous about keeping heifers. I usually sell them and replace them with young cows. But this group was different, I raised and know their mama's and like them a lot, some are brangus and some are angus, but I like all of their mamas so I decided to roll the dice and take the road less traveled. I am glad I did. But honestly I am not likely to do it again for a while, it's too dang worrisome. Blessed in the Sunshine State!

Congratulations!!

The guy I have sold to the last two years is real happy. 99 heifer and he only lost one calf. He said that one was his fault. Live calf that fell into a pond. These are unknown heifers but I am real careful about the bulls and I don't over feed the heifers.

Congrats....my wife was a basket case this year watching 4 heifers...and all 4 delivered unassisted and are healthy. No way in hell she could keep her sanity with 40.

Good deal....anyone who thinks calving out that many heifers is easy, well, they've never calved out 40 heifers. We average around 40 every year. It can be overwhelming. Some years are good, some nothing goes right. This year we had 45. We pulled a couple, lost one(but grafted a twin calf on her)....Only one pull was 100% needed and was the first out of the gate(its always the problem), the other we just said, 'we dont have time for this', so we just put her in the chute and pulled it by hand.
Next season we have just 25, and from what i gather, we arent keeping any this year. But that always changes. I'd love one year off from heifers.....

Latest posts