Blow air in or blow air out?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I asked this a few years ago but looking for fresh answers. We are hot for us, I have a high powered fan running now. My question is; is it better to point the fan so it blows the hot air from the house out or blow the cooler air from outside into the house?

Heaven forbid, I go one day without AC. Faced with cooling with fans, I point one in, and one out.

M-5":2e0cy6nd said:
Blow air out with a window open to draw air in preferably opposite end of house. Before ac attic fans would blow out and cool air was drawn in thru open windows
Yeah we had one and the cool air begancoming in sometimes shortly after midnight. During the daytime the wind coming through the windows would give you wind burn.

We never had A/C when I was a kid. At some point there was a window unit for my dad's room, he slept days and worked nights. I was 21 years old and on my own before I ever had central air. I don't remember really suffering from the heat back then either but it sure bothers me now!

My grandmother would go around opening and closing windows and window coverings thruout the day to keep the heat out of the house. I guess she closed them as the sun hit them and opened windows on the shady side. She could keep it a good 10, 15 degrees cooler than outside, you could really feel the difference when you walked in. Another lost art.

Grew up without A/C but we had fans and an attic fan. During the day we used fans but after the sun went down we turned the attic fan on to pull the hot air out and bring in the cooler outside air.

We had one big (4') fan in the house. Mounted in the wall of the back bedroom, and blew OUT into my dad's big shop. Everybody opened their bedroom window at night about 4" and the breeze blew in--near Houston Texas.
In daytime, bedrooms weren't used so those windows were closed and kitchen windows and front wooden door opened (we had a screen door to keep the bugs out) It was not bad.

Latest posts