Breaking Ice in Ponds

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was breaking ice in a pond yesterday and was wondering what is the best tool to get the job done? Assume, you cannot get any equipment within 30' of the ponds, so it needs to be a hand tool. I was using a pick and also an axe. Is there a better tool that will work? I was thinking maybe a sledgehammer or possibly a splitting maul.

What have you folks that have to break ice routinely found to be best?

I use an old pick axe. The flat end is great for scooping out the chunks.

'Bout 5 years ago I was breaking ice in the west 80 pond when one of my retained heifers popped me in the behind and I went sliding across the pond like a dang hockey puck - still clutching my pick axe. Had to do the crab-walk/slug-slide back to the bank, but with zero traction, ended up sticking my boot in the hole I cut, just to get up 'n out. My bibs were completely frozen by the time I made it back to the house. There may have been profanities!!! That spring, we had a well drilled.

Using a chainsaw while standing on ice makes me nervous. I've never tried.

My neighbor drills two holes a couple or three feet away from the bank, about 5 feet apart from each other. He uses a cordless and the same auger bit he uses for gate hinges.
Then he drives in eyebolts. By the time he returns with the tractor, they are frozen, one with the ice.
He has hooks welded on each end of his bucket and chains to the eyebolts. He stands in the bucket and chainsaws around the perimeter. Wife plucks him out. He retrieves his eyebolts after the thaw.

I've never seen it but it sounds reasonable, I'm just afraid my wife would set the park brake and say "so long, turkey" and laugh all the way back to the house.

Using a chainsaw while standing on ice makes me nervous. I've never tried.

My neighbor drills two holes a couple or three feet away from the bank, about 5 feet apart from each other. He uses a cordless and the same auger bit he uses for gate hinges.
Then he drives in eyebolts. By the time he returns with the tractor, they are frozen, one with the ice.
He has hooks welded on each end of his bucket and chains to the eyebolts. He stands in the bucket and chainsaws around the perimeter. Wife plucks him out. He retrieves his eyebolts after the thaw.

I've never seen it but it sounds reasonable, I'm just afraid my wife would set the park brake and say "so long, turkey" and laugh all the way back to the house.
If ice isn't strong enough to hold you up the cows won't ever not go through.

When we had our big freeze on 2/21, I used the blunt end of a splitting maul to break a trench and a square shovel to fish out the ice chunks.

Attachments

• ice.jpeg
    ice.jpeg
    976.2 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts