Bull nettle

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
Not sure who gets these nasty plants but I has a mess of them. I have tried double strength 24d, Sahara, and round up. They will all kill the plant I spray but within a couple weeks another pops up a foot from the original plant. Anyone have any ideas? Someone on here told me to dig to the root and put a coffee can over it. I wouldn't drink that much coffee in a lifetime. 😂😂😂 Any real ideas?

It's best to get nettle early. I used Remedy and 2,4d and it worked pretty good. I never had it at my place in E Texas until I was caring for a neighbor's horse and he brought in a 5x6 round bale that was cut from his other place out near Luling.
P&D works too but is more expensive because of the picloram in it.

Nettle is a bit viney so the most probable reason you have new plants popping up nearby is a previous year's plant grew and developed them nasty seed pods out all over the vine, which popped open and dropped/slung the seeds in a pretty wide circumference. Spray just before or when they flower.

Haven't used it but RM43 might be a good bet. However, while it will kill the weeds growing, it will also sterilize the soil for a few months. Don't know about grazing restrictions and such…haven't read the label because I've never used it.

Also those of you that have had to deal with these, when you sprayed was it 100% kill or a high percentage kill and had to do it again if not a total kill?

Like almost everything else, not a total kill with remedy/2,4d. Pretty high kill rate tho. 85% at least. Just don't get in a hurry to mow after you think it's dead. Give it some time. (remedy/2,4d is also what is in Crossbow but I mixed my own.

IF it has developed seed pods (they're prickly) pick them up before they open and just burn em.

RM43 will kill almost everything ya spray it on and keeps it dead for months. It's 44% glyphosate + Imazapyr. I wouldn't waste $$ on the RTU version, It's prediluted down and weak with only 5% glyphosate.

Might work on nettle, but I don't see it listed on the specimen label. Label doesn't mention any grazing or haying restrictions.

RM43 specimen label

I have hit them with Sahara, Round up and 24d and they just keep coming back. Wouldn't be able to go around and pick up seed pods as there are probably 1000 of them. I have spent the better part of 3 days last year spraying them individually and they are just relentless. I will try to broadcast spray the grazon like some have said

I spent several hours with a crowbar and sharp shooter shovel digging up spiny thistles last weekend, I didn't get them all I know but I got any that would bloom before I had a chance to do it again. The best chance that you have of killing them with chemical is the first time you spray them, if you just burn them back, immunity begins.

The secret to controlling bull nettle is to spray when they are in bloom. I have had success using 2,4-D and a surfactant. An old retired county agent told me to use 2 tbsp. of 2,4-D, 1 tbsp of liquid Dawn soap in 1 gallon of water. With a hand pump up sprayer, spray individual plant to point of run off. Most people mix TOO strong and burn the leaves off before herbicide can translocate to the corm under ground. You want the to die slowly to get a good kill.

The secret to controlling bull nettle is to spray when they are in bloom. I have had success using 2,4-D and a surfactant. An old retired county agent told me to use 2 tbsp. of 2,4-D, 1 tbsp of liquid Dawn soap in 1 gallon of water. With a hand pump up sprayer, spray individual plant to point of run off. Most people mix TOO strong and burn the leaves off before herbicide can translocate to the corm under ground. You want the to die slowly to get a good kill.
I do not have a lot of success hand spraying with stuff like that, for that reason. 😄 I can run a boom or boom less over it and do great but hand spraying is slightly better than 50/50.

If he told you to use dish soap, I'm dam glad he's retired.

Latest posts