Bulls for December breeding season

Help Support CattleToday:

Midtenn

Reaction score
Not usually much a picture taker guess i was bored today. Hope you enjoy. We will be starting our breeding season with youngsters this year. Our two old bulls checked bad last year and had to go. Here is a 2 year old (Connealy In Focus) that we used a little last year. Genomic test upped him to +5 bw -1 ced. We have 2 bull calves in the ground so far each weighed 78#. Keeping fingers crossed. Unless things change he will be terminal sire on about 20 head come December.

A yearling bull by Black Pearl. He was my favorite at weaning time but I'm not too thrilled with him now. Good numbers though and I think he will be good for terminal use. December, He will be going in with 25 spring calvers just in case somebody is still open.

A yearling by Tour of Duty. These yearling have just been turned out since weaning. As you can tell no pampering. He also will be going with another 25 spring calvers just in case one or two need attention.

This is my pick and one I will probably keep heifers out of due to his dams track record. Sire is Black Pearl. He will get 10 or 15 cows of his own come December.

And last is another 2 year old by Soo Line Motive. He is +2.9 bw +2 ced. We used him last year to clean up heifers. Have 5 or 6 calves by him none weighed over 75# and no assistance. We will use him again to clean up heifers and also to breed some commercial cows.

Nice hard bulls. Not pushing them now means they should last longer on the back end. You got registration numbers you want to share?

jscunn":2kdelbnc said:
Nice hard bulls. Not pushing them now means they should last longer on the back end. You got registration numbers you want to share?

#1 is 18997015. We purchased him last January. Probably not a herd builder for us, just hoping to make money off his calves on the commercial end.
#2 FC black pearl 219... 18919847. Weaned at 815 in late April. Looked great up until June. Since then he's just grown straight up. Not enough length or thickness. I'm still hoping he will mature better but right hell just be allowed to clean up a couple of stragglers. If he turns out he might get to breed some in the spring or go to slaughter.
#3 fc tour of duty 200 .... Weaned light 650# in April. I think due to access he had on his jaw while still on the cow. He has come out pretty good since weaning , but not my pick. Same as 219, He will have to wait awhile before being used much.

#4 fc black pearl 201....18919852. I think he will be a good balanced bull that stays with us. He will get to start this fall. He weaned at 830#.
#5 is 18676481..... He is a Two year old. Used to clean up heifers and cows.

You all echo'd my opinions on these bulls. thanks for reinforcing my decisions. 4 and 5, the best looking two, are maternal brothers a year apart. Neither have growth numbers to match the others, but are better bulls in my opinion. It may be that 2 and 3 , my least favorites, turn out to be good terminal bulls for us. We haven't done BSE yet so depending on that those two could get used a little this fall. It's always good to have a backup. Seems like a lot of bulls for 100 cows, especially when 20-25 will be ai'd one time. But Even if BSE is good, we like to rotate our bulls after 60 days, just in case somebody goes bad. We get bit once.

Latest posts