Buried my Ellie today

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Yes, my beautifull young Kelpie bitch Ellie. Not quite 1 yr old yet. I have been concerned about Ellie for a couple of months now. She would cry if you bumped her anywhere, started losing weight but with time she was getting worse not better as most things do. I started her on Meloxicam which helped initially, then not so much. I have thought things were not going well for a couple of weeks now. I isolated the problem to the neck region which was difficult as she would cry when you moved just about everywhere however her atlas vertebrae started to feel very prominent as muscle started to waste away from in front of it. I got my friend Kirstin to take an xray today and it revealed sever changes in the atlas, in fact it was fused to the skull and sever degenerative changes to the axis/atlas joint which is what was giving the sharp pain. It was a no brainer what I had to do, I took her home still drowsy and lay her on the couch and ran in some pentothal I had mixed up here and she peacefully went to sleep where she had been spending most nights of late. I will miss her, she was a good dog, had bonded strong with me, was eager to please me and was following direction well in the cattle yards. I am somewhat relieved as things were not going well and she was getting a lot of pain.

Ken

I'm SO sorry Ken! Shocking news. Heartfelt condolences! :cry2: Please advise Ms Lowing. Although unpleasant I'm guessing she'd appreciate knowing what transpired.

Not great news. I was hoping to hear adventures you two got up to in years to come. At least she didn't have to suffer. Is this a genetic problem or just some rogue thing that happens from time to time.

Hate to hear that Ken. I used to think I'd never get attached to an animal to that degree. But a good dog can fast become as loved as a family member. I know it's a different kind of relationship but it's a special bond. I dread the day mine leaves. Best wishes in your trials. RIP Ellie.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. 76, yes I rang Jan straight away. I am not sure what caused it, a lot of changes to the bone. Kirstin even suggested maybe osteomyelitis. For that matter could not rule out bone cancer. Maybe some injury. pups often end up falling over the side of the truck even when restrained by a lead and sort of hang there until you throw them back in, I can't recall that happening to Ellie. I do know she has had a couple of kicks mostly to the muzzle. Kirstin is sending me the xrays so I'll have a good study of them when I get them.

Ken

Not to belabor the issue but I appreciated your thoughts on the possible causes of Ellie's problems that lead to her demise. Please keep us posted if you learn anything further or PM me. I know she was a balm to you after losing the previous Kelpie. Words can't express how much my heart aches for you.

Latest posts