Butter

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Its rainy and boring so myself and the kids made some butter. It sure taste good.

IMG_20160704_110442171_zps1kkzbgjg.jpg

IMG_20160704_110943281_zps2z2qwh87.jpg

Looks good. Once all the gubmint red tape is finished some friends of mine will open a raw milk dairy and I'll be making it for us. Haven't had any in years.

slick4591":7xyvww4a said:
Looks good. Once all the gubmint red tape is finished some friends of mine will open a raw milk dairy and I'll be making it for us. Haven't had any in years.

Thanks. It sure would be nice to get raw milk readily available. Is that just something Texas is doing to enabel you to sell raw milk? Here to legally get it you have to own a share of a cow or goat.

Looks good sky, I know very little about making butter, but something I may like to do.

Alan":3picgj93 said:
Looks good sky, I know very little about making butter, but something I may like to do.

Thanks. It's pretty easy to make butter.. It can be made from raw milk or heavy whipping cream and agitate the milk till butter rises up and pour the butter milk off of it. I don't have a butter mold so I just left it in the bowl. I put salt and honey in it.

Yes. Texas makes you meet their standards before they will allow you to sell it legally. The inspector has made many trips to their barn while they've been building and setting up. These folks are running a few cows and goats. I think they are crazy for doing it because they'll never be profitable at their age, but it ain't my money they're using.

The more illegal you make it the better it is for some reason. Very appropriate for the 4th I think.

If you like honey in your butter you might want to try making white cheese - Frommage Blanc. Yield will be better than butter but its similar to butter in a way it just a soft creamy cheese good to put on toast in lieu of butter.

This is made with all natural ingredients and is so natural the ingredients are uncertified and illegal.

12814110_810988539007134_7316260068101049317_n.jpg

How soon before the art of making butter is forgotten. I buy mine now from a family that sells cow shares and milks 7 Jersey cows. It is golden yellow and tastes like what we had when I was a kid.

inyati13":3fpi3ibs said:
Raining here too, Brother. Pasture is gorgeous.

I like butter. I often come in toast bread and butter it. Then out again.

Yours looks good!!!!

Thanks.. :D

HDRider":3fpi3ibs said:
Looks good Sky, but you should be making cheese.

Don't worry that's next :lol2: One thing at a time grasshopper ;-)

kenny thomas":3fpi3ibs said:
How soon before the art of making butter is forgotten. I buy mine now from a family that sells cow shares and milks 7 Jersey cows. It is golden yellow and tastes like what we had when I was a kid.

It will be pretty soon if folks don't start teaching their kids butter doesn't come from grocery store. Yea I spread that butter on some toasts and it definitely took me back about 30 years ago when I was eating the stuff made at home.

kickinbull":1t48f74q said:
skyhightree1":1t48f74q said:
Jogeephus":1t48f74q said:
Looks good Sky.

Thanks do you have any tips?
Do you ever make cottage cheese? If so, any tips? ours is always rubberery.

I don't like cottage cheese so I don't make it but if its rubbery I would think it could be two things. You overworked the curds is my first guess. You want to take them out just after a dropped one will no long splat but gently bounce when it hits the floor. The other thing would be to use colder non chlorinated water when rinsing them. Cold water will rehydrate the curd where warmer water will dehydrate them.

Not knowing your process its hard to say but I think if you backed off whatever you are doing by 10% and use cold water to rinse you might find yourself getting closer to what you want.

I have often wondered how butter came to be. Think about it--Who first got the idea to put some cream into a container and beat on it? Anybody know? Probably came about by accident, but what accident lasts that long?

Latest posts