C W D

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
RALEIGH, N.C. (January 26, 2010) – The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is warning citizens that a white-tailed deer in Virginia has tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). As a result, North Carolina taxidermists can no longer accept full heads for mounts from Virginia and must inform wildlife officers if they receive one.

In addition, anyone bringing a deer from Virginia, or the 15 other states or two Canadian provinces where CWD has been detected, must follow North Carolina processing and packaging regulations.

States where CWD has been detected include Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Illinois, Utah, West Virginia, New York, Kansas, Michigan and, now, Virginia. It has also been detected in Canada's Alberta and Saskatchewan provinces.

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission tested about 1,400 free-ranging white-tailed deer for CWD in 2009, and no CWD was found.

For more information on Chronic Wasting Disease, including safety tips, visit click here or www.cwd-info.org. For more information on the CWD case in Virginia, visit the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

Taxidermists can call 1-800-662-7137 to report receipt of a full head from Virginia.

............................................................................................

thanks for the info...Do they think it is going to affect the hunting industry in NC? Are they recommending people not eat deer that they shoot? I know that they say that CWD isn't like mad cow in that there is no evidence that it can be transmitted to humans, but isn't it still unclear as to whether this is the case or not? Just curious.

LoveMoo11":1gg3kijj said:
thanks for the info...Do they think it is going to affect the hunting industry in NC? Are they recommending people not eat deer that they shoot? I know that they say that CWD isn't like mad cow in that there is no evidence that it can be transmitted to humans, but isn't it still unclear as to whether this is the case or not? Just curious.

I think their just trying ot prevent it from getting into the deer population in N.C. i also think that sooner or later it will show up.Their are a lot of state's that i would love to hunt in especially Virginia.

rattler

Latest posts