Calf born blind last year, linked to pink eye? Is it Safe to slaughter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gotrootsinmyboots

Reaction score
So last year I had a calf born from one of my oldest cows and the heifer calf from her was blind in both eyes.. Grayish blueish color but she is fine looks healthy etc but her eyes water as they do in pink eye all the time. He tear ducts keep her face wet peridiocally worst then other times but my concern is.... is that possibly contributing to my pink eye in the herd? I had it last year and fought it with sprays, licks, and several eyes being sown up.. Fast forward to now, she is weaned and growing fine and in with 3 other yearlings but already this year I am having trouble with pink eye in those yearlings. Not so much in my cows in the neighboring fences, but I am concerned the blind calf could be the culprit with her fluid coming from her eyes if it is contagious? Then continually creating pink eye in these other heifers? Alternatively I don't really have a good reason to keep her for breeding so I considered slaughter... But I am also concerned with the meat potentially being bad or her having some disease from her being born blind, even tho I hear her being from a older cow, that cow may have been lacking some minerals and that is what caused or is it from, IBR OR the other disease I am unable to think of at this time... But something to where you wouldn't want to eat the meat. The vet seen her last year and gave her yearly shot, but didn't give me a straight answer... Any help is much appreciated

:welcome:
Sorry you are having that problem. I'm fairly new so not familiar with your situation. Hopefully some of the oldtimers will chime in for you.

Do you vaccinate for pinkeye?

I would get the fluid from the eye cultured for pink eye. easiest way to tell.

Latest posts