Calf with pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
Hi we have an eight month old hereford heifer with pinkeye out on the pasture, we have had more problems with this disease this year than usual we have already brought half the young stock in and treated them for the condition already (with antibiotic) and we have five treated and ready to let back out to pasture now. And we applied pour on flypor on the whole herd to keep the flies at bay a couple of weeks ago.

What I want to know is does anyone leave pinkeye untreated and will it heal on its own or is it a must to treat all cattle with the problem? Thanks.

Yes, it can resolve itself but due to the large deep ulcers that often form most people find it prudent to treat it but many, many, many must go untreated and you don't get to see many cows with ruptured eyes around the place. In my neck of the woods a lot of people would only see their cows every couple of weeks.
We use a lot of the Cloxacillin intramammary preparations here to treat it.

Ken

It doesn't have to be treated but I would certainly recommend treating it as early as possible to minimize scarring off the eye and to prevent the awful looking protruding eye that sometimes happens. We treat a few cases seems like each year sometimes much worse than others. Good mineral program, and fly prevention is a major step in reduction as well as mowing pastures when the stems and seed heads irritate eyes.

I vaccinate with an autogenous that targets both Moxarella bovis & bovoculi (custom) and I'm diligent about fly spraying yet I still treated a 5 month old heifer today. Couldn't find any debris in or around her eye. Thoroughly flushed with Veterycin and gave her a hefty dose of LA300. No patch as it was in the early stage & just a small white spot.

Could it have resolved itself? Absolutely. But I'm not keeping her as a replacement and don't want to get docked with a potential cloudy eye.

I have been averaging one a day with pinkeye and have gave 3 shots for pneumonia like systems. Got to check them every day at least once.

Last couple years been real bad. Knock on wood none so far this year. Little spendy but draxin in a dart gun most practical way instead of trying get whole herd up for one several times/

Thanks for the replies I think I read in another thread something about a fly repllent applicator and mineral lick holder all in one contraption, which I guess could help to reduce pinkeye, anyone got a link to or brand name that makes this?

devonian said:
Thanks for the replies I think I read in another thread something about a fly repllent applicator and mineral lick holder all in one contraption, which I guess could help to reduce pinkeye, anyone got a link to or brand name that makes this?
Priefert makes one. I've been calling the cows up with cubes and driving around spraying them in the face and back with permethrin while they eat. Can't get some of the spooky ones unless you are real sneaky

devonian said:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=a6689288-ede0-4141-9305-f35350a25d37&sfb=1&itemguid=330b8345-7d10-4f0e-81fd-48714ff862d0&utm_content=36684&ccd=IFF003&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksOd5X_5cgppgnobSh0GCaseqFCA_NnnvEWTapsoKH3tkFGfj1dPmWkaAsjWEALw_wcB

Just read an interesting article in the Angus Beef Bulletin about pinkeye and potentially breeding it out of your herd. Additionally, click on "here" in red about halfway through the article for good info from Oklahoma State University on treatment/prevention.
http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/extra/2020/07jul20/0720hn_B_Pinkeye.html?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Beef+Market+Insights&utm_campaign=ABB+EXTRA+July+2020+Part+B

kenny thomas said:
devonian said:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=a6689288-ede0-4141-9305-f35350a25d37&sfb=1&itemguid=330b8345-7d10-4f0e-81fd-48714ff862d0&utm_content=36684&ccd=IFF003&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksOd5X_5cgppgnobSh0GCaseqFCA_NnnvEWTapsoKH3tkFGfj1dPmWkaAsjWEALw_wcB

They don't ship to the UK unfortunately.

Has anyone tried and had any success with fly repellent mineral blocks like this? https://www.farmann.de/en/product/Fly_Repellent_Block

Latest posts