Calhoun sale 5-07

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Looks like nothing much there tomorrow except everybody's Oct and Nov calves. And one pen had either a Jeresy or two and some Holsteins, or else they were Correinte or longhorn. He didn't film that pen, just caught a glimpse as he walked by. A lot of donkeys, a mare and a colt, a pen of hogs and the couple hundred goats and sheep, of course.

Seeing the same thing in Harrisonburg @kenny thomas ..... goats and sheep out the ying yang every week.... and some are pretty rough looking too.... don't know where they keep coming from. I'll bet there were in the 3-400 range also... I did not stay to see, I stopped to pick up a check from some cull cows 2 weeks ago... check never came in the mail and they offered to put a stop payment on it and issue another which I said yes. I was halfway there on Sat so just went on up and picked it up... They were just done with goats and on sheep and I watched at least 30-40 go through and had planned to stay for some steers to see, and said forget it...
Holstein bull calves were up to $5.10/lb last week for 100 lb graded calves... totally ridiculous.

Went to their cow sale last night. Quite a few rangy thin cows going through.
My son and I were milk testing in Weyers Cave last night but I wanted to go. There are alot of black/dairy cross cows that go through Harrisonburg. There was a cow sale in Staunton Tues night but I didn't go. We are down about 30 cows from where we ought to be...mostly from culling. With the pound/cull prices, if they aren't doing their job, they are not getting any extra chances.... mostly culling on age and attitude with open being the first big strike... Got 4 more from the last preg test, and one more preg check on Monday for the last of the ones that have fall calves on them.
How were the prices in Shen valley?

Apologies on delay it's the Spring time hustle. I thought cow prices were reasonable, a few calves were separated out they fetched 800. Had a few red polls, looking back should have bought them.

Latest posts