Calving season 2022 has begun

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The boss and I are in Statesboro Ga. At a Ranch horse show. Just a fun weekend watching friends show. First thing this morning I get a text from a customer that purchased a bred heifer at the Maternal Gems sale in May she had a heifer calf. I told the boss well we will probably have some start as well about an hour later I get the text from Jacob that we had one calving of course I don't have my paperwork with me so have no idea who the calf is out of C404A22B-999B-4534-9EEA-BE86916E830D.jpeg

This is my 2nd 2022 calving "season" (Jan/Feb and Sept/Oct). We had 2 today, total of 5 on the ground since the 1st. All bulls except 1 heifer embryo. 1 bull was a "heifer embryo" errrr. Only have 2 left. Just calve a handful in fall to give us a few steers for freezer beef and a couple (hopefully) heifers to show/sale.
Good luck with your great herd calving next few months.

Not our first fall calf but found this little one today . Commercial angus cow that was on the short list . Older cow I thought was open , so she'll get moved to the sell first of the year list . She always raises a good calf . Not sure why so small . I looked for a twin but didn't find one . 4D64E8FB-3D64-4E89-8F25-BF6A9988314E.jpeg

This is my 2nd 2022 calving "season" (Jan/Feb and Sept/Oct). We had 2 today, total of 5 on the ground since the 1st. All bulls except 1 heifer embryo. 1 bull was a "heifer embryo" errrr. Only have 2 left. Just calve a handful in fall to give us a few steers for freezer beef and a couple (hopefully) heifers to show/sale.
Good luck with your great herd calving next few months.
One of my good friends has had a great ET season she has had 11 so far and 8 have been heifers. I had 4 purchased embryos last year I wanted a heifer so bad all four eggs stuck and all four were bulls. The bulls are nice but dang I wanted that heifer. I hope the couple Left are heifers I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Not our first fall calf but found this little one today . Commercial angus cow that was on the short list . Older cow I thought was open , so she'll get moved to the sell first of the year list . She always raises a good calf . Not sure why so small . I looked for a twin but didn't find one . View attachment 20977
that was a nice surprise small but up and nursing that's a win!

Mama's not looking real happy about Jacob capturing the moment! Congrats to a new season.
She looks. Like she was ready to eat him up lol, she is a super sweet cow but one you don't mess with right after calving those mamma instincts are strong in that genetic line.

It's very exciting to have the new season start and even better to have it finished with a good result. Good luck with this one!
Thanks LF it is my favorite time of the year I looked at your calves they are as always really nice I love hearing about your program and seeing how you utilize the various breeds within your program. The Belgian Blue breed has always intrigued me and seeing you using it is just so cool.

1DFFFE38-F240-417C-AF77-67BF7F281720.jpeg
I was out checking cows today and just had to take a photo of this one. She looks like she has a baby in her.
9129066F-EDDF-48E3-88EF-A0ADD0919C1F.jpeg
This is a first calf heifer that is due 9/24 she is out of Rainfall and a cow we sold in the Maternal Gems sale in May her dam was a Coleman 6149 EXT x SAV Blackcap May 0524 daughter. I think she is going to make a super nice cow.A1FE78B9-D8EC-4D9B-9D0F-9EDB35CF83A9.jpeg
This is 2059 she is from the Shadybrook program out of Shadybrook Rita 9005 and Musgrave Exclusive 316. This is another heifer I am really looking forward to seeing how she continues to develop.
4E4CEFB0-CD4E-472C-88A6-75C8C5C45AD0.jpeg
This is a heifer I'm up in the air about she is out of the Sinclair Queen Mother 6R109 cow and SAV Reign the Queen Mother cows nickname was Queen Witch with a B the sire of the flush was SAV Reign and after using him we found his calves to have attitude so I had three of this mating only kept one I just want to give her a chance. I told the buyer of her sisters exactly why they were being sold and he still wanted them I hope it works out. Time will tell she is due on the 24th so I guess we will know soon enough.
6AFD7C0E-145E-4465-A4A5-3375BC93165B.jpeg
A Resource daughter out of our SAV Abigale 913 cow Lordy I love the Resource females

That was just a few of the almost ready to calve that I took today. Hopefully all will go well.

Latest posts