Case 495 Struggling

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Started dropping hay yesterday with a Case 495. It was doing fine then all of a sudden started running sporadically. Didn't matter where I out the throttle, it would go up and down, up and down. Got close to stalling out a few times before I could get the mower u hooked.

Going to get fuel filters and air filter today but I'm thinking that isn't the issue. Hopefully it cures it though.

Any common issues that come to mind?

I'm thinking a fuel delivery problem. Injection pump, fuel line, or something along those lines.

I have a 485. At the bottom of the tank on the right side mine has a fuel shut off valve. That has built up sludge a few times and had to take it off and clean it. Drain water out of the fuel/water separator filter. Those would be two things to check.

I don't know much about these tractors but I have experienced trouble like that on an older tractor that had a governor on the back of the injector pump controlled by a vacuum line from the inlet manifold that got cracked.

Ken

Guessing that is pretty similar to a 485. I had one that gave me fits turned out it was the short little hose that runs up from filters to the injector pump. Wouldn't leak but it was sucking air. Pretty common on those tractors. My buddy that is a diehard Case man fixed it in 5 min. I futzed with it for weeks!

Thanks all of yall. Started with the filters. One was pretty rough. Then pulled the lines off bottom of tank. Crossover line was almost completely stopped up. And the line leaving the tank was stopped up all but completely.

I'm betting they've never been cleaned. Ran super good when it went back together.

Think I probably will drain the tank between cuttings and filter the fuel. That tank is nasty!

What do yall use to kill the slime/algae in diesel?

Thanks all of yall. Started with the filters. One was pretty rough. Then pulled the lines off bottom of tank. Crossover line was almost completely stopped up. And the line leaving the tank was stopped up all but completely.

I'm betting they've never been cleaned. Ran super good when it went back together.

Think I probably will drain the tank between cuttings and filter the fuel. That tank is nasty!

What do yall use to kill the slime/algae in diesel?
There is a product just for controling the algae but i cant remember the name. Ask them where you got your filters

This is what I use for diesel algae. It turns the algae brown and dissolves it fast. It is not cheap, but beats working on the fuel system of tractors.

Alright. Problem 2. JD 458 standard. Tail gate won't latch if the passenger side is facing downhill. What the hell,

Cause me all kinds of grief today til I realized what was going on. It was clear of debris. Is it the hydro cylinder.

Also, I swapped to grade 5 bolts after breaking 9 grade 2s on tough clover/grass mix that was dry. Just high humidity. That sound right? Never did break a 5. I even went up a gear.

Hell, broke a grade 2 just by turning on the PTO with an empty chamber and empty pickup. No more grade 2's for that baler.

Last edited:
It almost sounds like you've got something binding. I would not think it is the cylinder. Does the baler use shear bolts instead of a slip clutch? I'm not real familiar with the small balers, but I've been around Deere balers for over 30 years. How much of a slope will keep it from latching?

It almost sounds like you've got something binding. I would not think it is the cylinder. Does the baler use shear bolts instead of a slip clutch? I'm not real familiar with the small balers, but I've been around Deere balers for over 30 years. How much of a slope will keep it from latching?
Any bit of a slope it would seem. It'd get almost closed, all but resetting the fullness gauges. I'm talking 1/4" of cylinder left to go. I'd be hurrying and not notice and start a bale and it'd choke up and pop the bolts.

The bolts are really a secondary issue to the gate problem. Took me a while to put 2 and 2 together that I was on a slope and that was the common variable. If I faced the other way on the slope, it'd work like a champ, or going up and down the slope was no problem.

I'm going to go over this morning and look it over. Was thankful to be done rolling at 10:00 last night was the rain drops started to fall.

Could the issue be the tractor possibly and not the baler... im using the 5610 Ford.

Last edited:
I would try a different tractor if possible. Might try a different rear hydraulic outlet if it has more than one .

I would try a different tractor if possible. Might try a different rear hydraulic outlet if it has more than one .
I'm kind of limited there. Need to add a set of remotes to the kubota to use it with the 458 baler. Can't afford that right now.

The Case did the sputtering thing again yesterday after about an hour of use. I'm going to check filters and fittings for being stopped up, then do a stout fuel treatment.

Can't help but think the injection pump is getting warm and acting up.

Latest posts