Case JX 95 AC problems.

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Trying to help a friend out that has this tractor and the ac is acting up. Kicks in and cools good for minute maybe then kicks off for a couple minutes. Low side pressure was going down to about 15 with high side of 150. So I thought it was low added a can which got the high side around 220-230 when it kicks off but low side is still 20 or so. Been a while since I did much AC work and most was automotive R12. Any suggestions?

It sounds like the expansion valve might be clogged or stuck open. Check the evaporator, piping, and expansion valve. Be real careful and don't overfill.

Silver said:
What is the static pressure on the system? Seems to me both sides should be high 70's for psi at around 75 degrees F.
If I remember correctly they were around a 100 on a 90 degree day.

tom4018 said:
Silver said:
What is the static pressure on the system? Seems to me both sides should be high 70's for psi at around 75 degrees F.
If I remember correctly they were around a 100 on a 90 degree day.

That might not be too far off. Should be able to find a chart somewhere on the interwebs. Generally I think if static is over 78 lbs at 75 degrees the system has the correct charge. If static is over that then it's over charged, and vice versa. If low side pressure remains too high when high side builds it's a sign the condenser isn't performing up to snuff (dirty). I wouldn't pull anything apart until I'd ensured everything else is up to snuff.

while doing stuff that doesn't require taking the system apart, I'd check the evaporator and make sure it has good airflow through it

Everything think is clean. In my experience if the low side is going that low the system is low especially since the high side was also low. Even after adding some and the high side getting up to the normal range the low side is still lower than normal. Usually a clogged office tube or expansion valve makes the high side too high. He may have to let someone else fool with it as it has been several years since I did much AC work.

Did you get this figured out? I just re read your original post and then the post where you said ambient was 90 degrees. 230 lbs highs side would be way too low, as would your low pressure of 20. Needs more juice.

Silver said:
Did you get this figured out? I just re read your original post and then the post where you said ambient was 90 degrees. 230 lbs highs side would be way too low, as would your low pressure of 20. Needs more juice.
No I haven't done anymore to it. I thought the pressures were low and added a total of 2 cans. High side came up a little more but low side stays down in the 20 range. When it is running it gets gets the low side down to 20 or so and the high side probably for up to 250 or so, been a week since I dealt with it so I don't remember for sure. Then it kicks the compressor out and it takes it a while to turn it back on. Most I have dealt with in the past cycle real quick when low on Freon. When it does run it cools good just not staying on.

Latest posts