Cattle Prod

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
Wanted to get opinions on brands of cattle prods and longevity. I have had a couple of Green ones and my last was a Dura Prod, but they just don't seem to last as long as I feel like they should. I feel like I only get a couple of years service before they just quit working. Is this the norm for most people?

I don't know the grand but it is a yellow one I've had it for about 7 years and it works well. Only problem is the shaft gets broken I end up putting conduit around and tape it up got a few breaks but keeps on working. Last year when loading the weaners one kicked out and I just ended up with the handpiece in my hand but still was able to effect a repair.
Ken

I have a yellow one that is a Springer Magrath which I have had for several years and still will make a nice spark.

I don't know the brand, but they sell a gray one at TSC. Don't get it. Get anything other than it. If you have an electric fence anywhere close to your alley, you can run an extension cord from it to the pen. Duct tape the cord to stick, and have a naked piece sticking out the end of the stick. It'll shock the crap out of anything you touch with it. Cost of a drop cord is all you'll have in it.

About month ago, was down at yards to pick up an animal after sale to haul back home to owner (a buyback). Before I could get loaded, a pot of cows had to be loaded and there was a miserable black cow and a stifled Charolais bull with a bad attitude. Just kept screwing around doing circles, so everyone went to grab their prods - manager, myself and two pot-haulers. Everyone came back with a yellow prod (Springer Magrath). And not to brag, but mine was the longest. :p.

Thanks for all the replies, I may send both of mine back into the manufacturer to have them look at them. I haven't even replaced the batteries in them but once each. Our local stockyard has one ran off an electric fence, and it does work well.

Latest posts