Cattle swimming around fence

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
My cows have started swimming around a fence that is terminated in a catfish lake. They are going into an area of CRP grass that there not suppose to eat. I suspect the Government man would frown if he knew. My question is should I extend my fence further out into the water? It is currently only about 10 feet out into the water. The other bank is about 300 yards away. If I do extend it what is the best procedure for hammering in post without getting snake bitten?

we've had this problem before too but either owned the land surrounding the pond or half of it (creek) and were able to fence around it. we had one problem area by the cow pen, and the cows were mostly walking around the fence. most of them arent real big on swimming but have no problem walking with nothing but their head out of the water. we have one cow that will swim anythign though and the horses love to swim out. we put an electric fence around the edge of the pond to keep the horses contained. not an option for you i guess. the problem area by the pen was fixed by extending an old irrigation pipe out from the existing fence. the water was deeper out that far and the cows would turn back. what i recommend is making the fence curve back around towards the cows so they have to swim out and then over and out, and around and then back. just a curve. may work may not. how deep is this pond? lots of cows or just a few of the same ones getting out? can you drain it down any? another option, is putting up an electric fence all the way around except for a small area cutoff for access to the pond if you can find a little curve in the pond somwhere. not good ideas but ideas none the less.

this is all that keeps them from going around. its not THAT deep there either, over six feet but less than 12.
cowpen.jpg

i dont like the idea of having fence under the water that they can get their legs in, although we have some. if you could drain the pond some and put in posts and attach some of the plastic irrigation piping that winds up onto a reel that would work well. one just at the top of the water and one below the surface a foot or two incase they try to go under or if the water level ever drops..?

Several animals are getting around the fence . I think they are teaching each other. I shouldnt of said they are swimming because I havent actually seen them swim . I see there tracks were they are going around and they very well could be wading around the fence. This is rented pasture and I am figuring the lake is about 5-6 feet deep throughout .

I have this problem on my strip mine pastures. The only way I can stop them is by putting a electric around the whole shore line.

You know, I can't believe how often the simple answers just plumb elude me. Thanks ALACOW, you may have just solved a problem for me.

Lee

ALACOWMAN said:
i have seen plastic drums used for water gates. why couldnt you tie a few to geather & string them across to the other bank

That is a good idea. I have a fence runnning through a pond , that seperates pastures, and the posts are starting to fall. I still have good wood posts on each side of the pond. I bet I could cable between the two posts and hang some plastic barrels from the cable between as obstacles.

alacowman

do the plastic drums work good on creeks and do you let them drag the creek bed when its dry what do you hang them with barbwire or cable to keep the cows from going over them or is that seem to be a problem

weld a couple of t posts together go in boat drive them and it may take 3 of 4 places, but run an electric wire about six inches above the water to the posts,w/ insulators once they touch it, that should do it, I believe they are walking instead of swimming, but thats what I would try. Good luck.

well the ones i have seen hang in place while the water is down. i have seen them atached to a gate on one side and when the water was up the gate just floated pretty neat i thought. on a pond you could probably use the smaller barrels the 25-30 gallon ones attach them with one strand of barb wire.

There is an outfit In Alberta that makes floating self- adjusting fenceposts..

Will try find a website for you guys.

Fence them out of the water competely.

Pump water into a trough and allow the over flow to go back into the pond. We use a windmill and do this. Cattle ruin water.

Bez

Bez":1blecef8 said:
Fence them out of the water competely.

Pump water into a trough and allow the over flow to go back into the pond. We use a windmill and do this. Cattle ruin water.

Bez

Another 100% agreement

dun

You folks in Canada probably dont have the same problems we in the southeast US do. Neighbor just lost a 3 year old registered angus bull we sold him. A cottonmouth/water moccican(s) got him on the neck in the water. Not good. If it had not been so hot he probably would have made it ok.

No cows around or in the water here. On real hot days we have misting water lines(soakers) up on a series of poles and trees along the shade areas...it works....they don't miss much time chewing cuds.

frenchie":gzqzmpo1 said:
preston39":gzqzmpo1 said:
You folks in Canada probably dont have the same problems we in the southeast US do. .

We just got wolves to contend with big time. :lol:

frenchie

The last year we were on the Whitemud with a couple of neighboure we - the group - not me personally - lost 8 to timber wolves and one to a grizzly. Coulda' shot the griz myself - it was sitting on the carcass when I saw it - but did not - cowboys were more than a little mad at me.

Yeah - no matter where you live there are hazards.

Bez

Bez":hb6r0ia3 said:
frenchie":hb6r0ia3 said:
preston39":hb6r0ia3 said:
You folks in Canada probably dont have the same problems we in the southeast US do. .

We just got wolves to contend with big time. :lol:

Yep Frenchie and Bez

Yall better be careful of old Pesto's problems. Them cottonmouths gonna go get you. May even get after the wolves and grizzleys.
Old pesto has big problems :lol: :lol:

Bez/frenchie,

What steps do you folks take to deal with the wolves and bears..sounds like it may be a challenge? Here yotes are a problem...couldn't imagine dealing with them guys.

Latest posts