Cattle taking care of their needs.

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I realize cattle have instincts to help take care of themselves, but I sometimes wonder when I need to intervene, or, as my neighbor puts it, if the cows have enough sense to take care of themselves.

For example, I read that winds and cold temperatures are tough on cattle. My cows have access to a barn during winter, and it's close to their feeding area. Lately when it was 0 degrees and the wind was like a knife, they are all standing outside like it's July. Why didn't they take advantage of the barn? They could have at least stood outside beside it and used it as a wind break.

A cow had a calf during this same weather. It's doing fine by the way, but instead of taking advantage of the barn, she and the calf are out galavanting around in 10 inches of snow and razor-like winds.

Back in November, I had a cow have a calf in the rain at 40 degrees rather than go in the barn. The calf also did fine.

Is any of this behavior cause for concern, or do cattle know what they need in these conditions?

we think like humans , they think like bovines. A lot of worry is because of humans think the animals should be like them. best thing is do your part in providing care and nutrition and let the rest sort itself out. you will never be able to understand how they think.

I would say if your cattle are not using the barn, they do not need it. The only time our cattle come in the barn on their own is if we are having a cold precip (freezing rain, or snow), and they will stay in the barn until it is over and then march back out. They have been in there when we had very cold winds blowing, negative temps, also. I am just glad they have the barn for an option!

I would wager a 98 degree is harder on them, and most people never give them a second thought in the heat of summer.

Mine don't have any shelter, at any point in the year, though I do have a little windbreak for the calves. We don't get much wetness around here though. They do quite alright from -10F to 100F provided the stomachs are kept full (hay in winter, water in summer).

We do not get weather like you all do. Most cattle here do not have any kind of shelter but maybe some hills for wind breaks. My cattle are pretty spoiled, and though they probably do not require it, they do have 3 sided shelters in every pasture that some use.
I think a lot depends on whether they are comfortable being in a closed in space or not. (With all the wind and rain noises that go with it.) If they are the least bit phobic they won't go in.

We've got a couple of sheds that we can open up for the serious nasty weather when there are young calves. I'm always surprised at how smart the cows with the babys are about finding the sheds when they need them. Most times even if they are open only a couple of cows will use them regularly, they'll usually find a cedar break to lay up in the wind is bad or it's really nasty weather wise. Today we're having those "warm" south winds, 20-25 mph. When that "warm" wind blows over miles of snow it's not very warm. Then the cows will just over to an other side of the hill out of the direct wind.

Bigfoot":36vegapq said:
I would wager a 98 degree is harder on them, and most people never give them a second thought in the heat of summer.
You'd be right. Heat stress on a cow starts in the mid 70's. We're talking about a mammal with a core temperature similar to ours but they weigh six or more times what we do and have hair and a quarter inch of skin over their entire body. Freezing is downright comfortable to them.

Your cows sound happy enough. If they look miserable, they probably would appreciate better access to shelter.
Bovine logic is to move away from unpleasant weather. Thus missing calves will usually be found downwind IME. This has the obvious disadvantage that effective shelter is usually obtained by turning *into* the wind and this is contrary to their instincts. Varied terrain seems to work pretty well at providing shelter in those circumstances, in my small paddocks they just fetch up against the far fence and stand with their heads down and tails to the wind.
But cows are safe and comfortable in conditions humans would find intolerable.

I have no shelter for mine ever. They only time I offer "shelter" is to make sure they have shade in the summer. I will also bring a calving cow into the barn if it's as cold and wet as you say but they get let right back out as soon as it nurses and dries off. My only problem is the calves (black) do NOT know to get into the shade for about the first two weeks and they will literally cook themselves while momma sits in the shade and watches.

I think moisture is the deciding factor. They're smart enough to find a natural wind break, if windchill is a factor. No way to over come wet hair.

As a wise man once put it "Cattle need no salvation".
If they have the means to survive, they will without anyone's help.

branguscowgirl":2gyb2v5h said:
I think a lot depends on whether they are comfortable being in a closed in space or not. (With all the wind and rain noises that go with it.) If they are the least bit phobic they won't go in.

That is an example of things I think about. Perhaps it's windy, cold, and a frosty rain in the air. They would really like to be shielded from it, but for some reason, they just don't want to take that step of going in the barn. In the meantime, they stand outside and get sick.

herofan":2yp8kn9d said:
branguscowgirl":2yp8kn9d said:

That is an example of things I think about. Perhaps it's windy, cold, and a frosty rain in the air. They would really like to be shielded from it, but for some reason, they just don't want to take that step of going in the barn. In the meantime, they stand outside and get sick.
I have a couple sheds that are a roof and 2 walls. Kind of like a car port. I designed them myself so horses had a cover and a wind break but could move straight through and not feel trapped nor trap each other in a kicking match. I find that the cows like them just as well.

M-5":cy5lkmrx said:
we think like humans , they think like bovines. A lot of worry is because of humans think the animals should be like them. best thing is do your part in providing care and nutrition and let the rest sort itself out. you will never be able to understand how they think.
This is precisely why at times we need to think for them, they can be sooo thick :)

Had one limping bad the other week. Favoring her left rear leg. Have had a lot of rain. I noticed it for about two weeks but she seemed to be doing alright other than that. She's not limping anymore. Wonder what was wrong with her. :???:

Our ground is covered in snow and we just started calving. All 28 head went in the barn last night on their own. We had freezing rain. Found one new calf this AM in the barn. I'd like to think they're as tough as yall say, but I'm afraid I've raised a liberal herd and they are used to the free stuff...and that breaks my heart since my veins bleed conservatism. I'm a compassionate conservative I suppose. :cboy:

-30 the last few mornings with windchills of -50 or so and the cows are all outside around the hay feeders. They have access to a 3 sided shelter but rarely use it.

Latest posts