Chances of cow talking calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Had to pull a calf on Tuesday night, at approximately 11pm. Had a rough birth, and mama got up and walked away after he was born. Vet tubed calf and administered Draxxin and Bose at approximately 1am Wednesday morning. Calf stayed inside that night. He was extremely weak and we have had low temps outside. Brought calf back out and penned him up with mama. They've been together ever since. Mama will not take him. Have got her in chute and let him nurse 3 times, and gave mama shot of oxytocin. Still will let the calf walk up to her but she walks away as soon as he tries to nurse. I'm done trying with her. He's now 2 and a half days old. I have another mama cow that is extremely gentle, who had a calf back in January. Produces a ton of milk. What are the chances of bringing her over and penning her up with this new calf and her accepting the calf, of course with enticements and letting calf nurse a few times? I know that bottle calf is a route too but he really will not take a bottle easy at all. Just trying what I can.

Try her at least one more time and do the """stick your hand in her uterus and wipe it on her nose and on the calf""" trick. Your odds getting her attached to the cow you mentioned are not good. For one thing the calf will not stay up with the cow and the herd and the mom will not make a effort to go back for the calf.

Had a cow do the same after a difficult birth last year. did the same as you are doing. on day 3, she had the calf licked clean as a whistle and calf nursed with no problem. have also had cows not never claim her calf. good luck and hope all works out for you.

Thanks all. I would keep trying but this cow has been a pain. She broke out of the chute the first attempt (stupid me didn't have the head gate closed all the way from the night before), and she went up to the top of the pasture. We finally got her back down the hill. But once she's in the chute, she thrashes around like a complete idiot. She's just not a bright one and not easy to deal with. Another reason why I'm reluctant to keep trying is that her udder is not full at all. Calf nursed for a good while last night, and then this morning when we got her in the chute again, her teats were still shriveled up. She is young and I didn't know she was bred upon purchasing her. So I'm trying what I can.

I should probably shake off the joking mood altogether if I can, all I've managed to get done today is gather up all my equipment, drink Ranch Waters, and stare at these hayfields... And damned if I don't have to be in Grand Prairie in the morning.

A little acevet and let the calf nurse after it takes effect(in 10-15min) when she comes down she will love her calf.

In your previous thread, I said I don't have time for that nonsense, but I will add that I'm putting the heifer in the chute multiple times a day to let the calf nurse before I give up (a week, max). But I also realize you can't be down there all the time. Seeing as how this heifer is not docile and a little flighty in the first place, I agree with loading both up and selling. You won't get top dollar for the heifer, but calves are hot right now.

Yes, you could try to graft him on the docile cow with tons of milk. But if you're going to spend that much time, why not keep at it with his mama? Plus, if the docile cow did accept the calf, she'd essentially be raising twins and they usually end up being considerably smaller (dinks).

In your previous thread, I said I don't have time for that nonsense, but I will add that I'm putting the heifer in the chute multiple times a day to let the calf nurse before I give up (a week, max). But I also realize you can't be down there all the time. Seeing as how this heifer is not docile and a little flighty in the first place, I agree with loading both up and selling. You won't get top dollar for the heifer, but calves are hot right now.

Yes, you could try to graft him on the docile cow with tons of milk. But if you're going to spend that much time, why not keep at it with his mama? Plus, if the docile cow did accept the calf, she'd essentially be raising twins and they usually end up being considerably smaller (dinks).
True. Thank you for the input. Since my original goal was to finish and butcher the heifer, I'll keep her and grain her out with the other 5 I have, and feed the bottle calf.

I should probably shake off the joking mood altogether if I can, all I've managed to get done today is gather up all my equipment, drink Ranch Waters, and stare at these hayfields... And damned if I don't have to be in Grand Prairie in the morning.
Well if you are gonna be in Grande Prairie tomorrow we might as well meet up in Dawson Creek and I'll buy you lunch.

Latest posts