chemistry gurus... question =)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
So I've got homework due tomorrow in biology class that covers some chemistry concepts, and I've got everything done except for the part about how to find what ions are stable in a water solution. Can't seem to find the information in my book or anywhere on the internet (and I've searched hard!). I've got 12 ions that I need to decide if they're stable or unstable in water... help!

Thanks! ;-)

Does this help?

FUNCTIONAL WATER AND

STRUCTURE MAKING AND STRUCTURE BREAKING IONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listed below are various ionic materials which have been evaluated by a variety of scientists as to their ability to create or destroy hexagonal water clusters; water clusters which scientists are discovering are found in healthy cellular environments.

While calcium and sodium can be used to create hexagonal water clusters(as verified by NMR techniques), ions such as magnesium and potassium tend to destroy such hexagonal clusters, producing pentagonal or other unorganized water clusters.

Water around healthy cells has been determined to be highly structured and to be in hexagonal clusters. See Functional Water References and Recommended Reading for technical details of these statements.

Water bottlers seeking to produce a good, healthy mineral water for commercial purposes would do well to determine from their laboratory reports how their mineral content stacks up against the table below.

Additionally, water softening/conditioning companies who are finding that sodium chloride is an increasing problem for individuals with high blood pressure and hypertension and are recommending potassium chloride salt instead would do well to see what both potassium and chlorides are doing to the structure of any water clusters in the product water of their water conditioning systems.

Users of water softeners who switch from sodium to potassium based water conditioning salts should pay attention to the table below not only from the standpoint of poorer water structure with potassium but also the mere presence of chloride in both salt preparations.

These are good reasons to purify home drinking water by way of steam distillation or reverse osmosis to remove the structure breaking ions which destroy healthy water clusters.

Examples of Structure-Making and Structure-Breaking Ions
Structure-Making Ions Structure-Breaking Ions
Element Ions ΔEww Element Ions ΔEww
Calcium Ca+2 32.2 Magnesium Mg+2 -8.8
Lithium Li+ 27.2 Potassium K+ -3.8
Sodium Na+ 3.3 Rubidium Rb+ -6.3
Zinc Zn+2 50.6 Aluminum Al+3 -313.4
Iron Fe+3 51.9 Chloride Cl- -7.5
Copper Cu+2 49.8 Bromide Br- -7.5
Stronger Bonds decrease free movement of water molecules - increase hexamer structure
Weaker bonds increase free movement of water molecules - decrease hexamer structure and increase unstructured water clusters.

For a more detailed treatment of ionic materials which have the ability to make or break water clusters by strengthening or weakening hydrogen bonds, go to http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hofmeist.html#306

I am the only person alive that never had to take chemistry. Ever. Closest I got was physical science. Was more of a biology girl, though they frequently go hand and hand. Just was never in my degree plan.

Yea. I was one of those liberal arts people.

milkmaid":u4oel0gs said:
So I've got homework due tomorrow in biology class that covers some chemistry concepts, and I've got everything done except for the part about how to find what ions are stable in a water solution. Can't seem to find the information in my book or anywhere on the internet (and I've searched hard!). I've got 12 ions that I need to decide if they're stable or unstable in water... help!

Thanks! ;-)
Polyatomics?

milkmaid":l0bdl5w1 said:

Thanks! ;-)

Doesn't that have something to do with whether the ions are negatively or positively charged as to whether they are stable or not? I could be mistaken. Its been alot of years since Chemistry class.

oh i took chemistry several times. in fact, thats why i'm not a veterinarian right now. lol.

throw it in some water and if it mixes its not stable. right?

What are the 12 ions?

For instance, gasoline is not stable.

Grain alcohol is.

Engine oil is not stable.

Plant organic mater is stable.

Stuff like sands, rocks etc are not stable.

Basically, things you mix with water and doesn't separate are stable, the stuff thats separates, settles or rises to the top aren't.

Latest posts