Circle 5 School for Cattleman

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I'm considering going to one of their palpation classes in Stanford KY in March or Crossville TN in April. Anyone used them. 2 day clsss costing $450.
Anyone used them or their classes. They list classes all over the central US.

I'm not familiar with the class, but most people need a lot more than two days to learn how to palpate cows. If the goal is to get proficient enough to reliably check and stage your own cattle, you're probably going to be disappointed.

When I watch and listen to the cowboys that palpate ours it seems like it's very easy to tell if a cow is more than 75-90 days bred. In fact they know within a few seconds bred or open. When we ask how far along is when it gets tricky. We run a 90 day breeding season and check 90 days after pulling the bulls so how far along doesn't matter to us. I say all of that to say this. If all you want to know is bred or open I'd say a 2 day class would be great. If you what to get really good at knowing how for along a cow is I think you gotta get your arm in a 1,000 or so.

Oh yea they can also tell pretty quick if they've had several calves or are heifers. Had a funny deal with that when I was first buying cows.

I'm not familiar with the class, but most people need a lot more than two days to learn how to palpate cows. If the goal is to get proficient enough to reliably check and stage your own cattle, you're probably going to be disappointed.
I mostly want to know whether open or bred in my own cows or even with trade cows. I see lots of cows come through the slaughter pen that look decent age and look bred. I can take a chance on a few of them and if not bred still send to slaughter.

When I was in AI school there was one cow that was pregnant and they were teaching us to feel the vein pulsating..... I never could feel it.☹️
It would be nice to tell if they're open or not.
I don't think I'd be really too concerned with how far along cuz we know when ours are bred because we keep no bull.

I mostly want to know whether open or bred in my own cows or even with trade cows. I see lots of cows come through the slaughter pen that look decent age and look bred. I can take a chance on a few of them and if not bred still send to slaughter.
If all you want to know is pregnant/open and on cows 3+ months, that might be achievable. Some people take to it pretty quickly, others don't. I guess it depends how much inaccuracy you're willing to tolerate. Even after you feel like you're getting the hang of it you'll get some wrong fairly often.

Do you AI? Knowing how to locate the tract and what it should feel like is a good head start.

If all you want to know is pregnant/open and on cows 3+ months, that might be achievable. Some people take to it pretty quickly, others don't. I guess it depends how much inaccuracy you're willing to tolerate. Even after you feel like you're getting the hang of it you'll get some wrong fairly often.

Do you AI? Knowing how to locate the tract and what it should feel like is a good head start.
Yes I have taken AI class in the past. Very familiar with the tract.

I'm considering going to one of their palpation classes in Stanford KY in March or Crossville TN in April. Anyone used them. 2 day clsss costing $450.
Anyone used them or their classes. They list classes all over the central US.
I'm thinking about going for the preg check part myself. If I pull the trigger it'll be Crossville.

Signed up for the class in Crossville TN for April 14th and 15th. Then can visit the cattle stockyard in Crossville while I'm there.
Did the class and then the stockyard. Watch slaughter cows and bulls sell. Seen a bull bring 1.40 and a cow 1.22. Didn't stay for the calves to sell.

Now that I have had the class how about some suggestions for the most reasonable place to buy breeder sleeves and lube. One place i looked the shipping was half as much as the sleeves and lube.

Now that I have had the class how about some suggestions for the most reasonable place to buy breeder sleeves and lube. One place i looked the shipping was half as much as the sleeves and lube.
It may be worth your while to check the vet office in Verona on your next pass thru town. I have some pull with the girl at the front desk.... ;)

Agree with @cfpinz ... ask a vet, they will often sell a box of sleeves for little more than cost. The co-op had lube last time I was in there... I get my sleeves from the Select sires guy when he comes to do the fill on the semen tank... any of the breed assoc that do nitrogen fills on the semen tanks carry the sleeves... you can get the lube in a powder to reconstitute... many breeders use a small squirt bottle that they carry in their pocket when they go to breed a cow so handy to make up a little bottle.... or a gallon jug of already made lube.

A couple of things to be aware of on OB lube. If doing AI breeding, look for lube labeled as non-spermicidal. Lube made from a powder (like J-lube) is polymer based. If you use J lube when manipulating the calf or to lube up the calf and then need a C-section or if the uterus tears, not good at all for any of that to get into the peritoneal cavity. Supposed to be toxic (high risk of death) to the cow in the peritoneal cavity.

Some variation in sleeves. Some thick and not much sensitivity as thinner ones. Are they water and air tight? Seem to be but try this - smell your hand after using a sleeve for breeding or palpating and see what it smells like.

Latest posts