Clipping pastures today

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent":1h8tcd7i said:
Ebenezer":1h8tcd7i said:
jltrent":1h8tcd7i said:
I have mowed some pasture off this year and took the mist blower to some other that needed it and have not mowed it yet. I may just leave it as the heal flies are bad this year it seems and it gives the cows something to run in to shed them.
Please discuss the use of a mist blower and how you use it on pastures? Weeds? Due to slopes? Versus boom or boomless sprayer, ... Thanks.

It is not as precise as the 32' feet wide spray I have where you are spraying down on the weeds, but you can clean a field up in a hurry and get in and around some pretty rough places. I like the mist blower for one reason it gets up and under the weeds goods and catch a little breeze with some good strong spray with the mist blower going in the same direction and you can effectively spray and slick off a field pretty good up to a 100' at a time. Since I got the mist blower four years ago it has been the only sprayer I use and will continue to be. Next to a round baler and loader on a tractor it is one of the most handiest piece of equipment I have. Why tear equipment up and waste fuel when you can run over the pasture fairly quickly with the mist blower and get most of the weeds. The cattle will eat the rest.
My Bush hog will last a long time as it is just about a waste with this weed/brush sprayer. It don't come back like after using a bush hog.

7y6QLSZ.jpg

tsk tsk
You need to be mowing instead, so you too can lay all that good forage down on the ground. (another one here that hasn't hooked up to a mower in a loong time, and may never again.)

5S Cattle":29t3kgdn said:
Never seen anything like that jltrent. Bet it's real handy around trees. I can't spray a pretty good piece of where I keep my cows because of trees

You can put fly spray in it (Permethrin 10%),and spray the cattle as they lay in the shade, most of the cattle doesn't even mind. I have killed trees at least 20 feet high before, you just start at the bottom and spray to the top. Another handy thing is around some of the fields I use to have limbs hanging in the way. I go around and spray the overhanging limbs and they break off and are not in the way after they die.

I have killed trees at least 20 feet high before,
Now you got my attention.......if it weren't for the National Forest being a neighbor. That sure could have saved me a lot of work tho.
Piston pump or the air flow just draws the fluid in to it?

greybeard":3i203027 said:
I have killed trees at least 20 feet high before,
Now you got my attention.......if it weren't for the National Forest being a neighbor. That sure could have saved me a lot of work tho.
Piston pump or the air flow just draws the fluid in to it?

It has a pump that works off the tractor battery 12v that sprays three nozzles at the snout of were the air comes out. The fan works off the PTO. I have a toggle switch in the tractor that I can shut the pump off immediately if something doesn't need spraying and then back on.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ii130p1 said:
What brand is it?

Mine is the BIG JOHN sprayer. It comes with either a 55 gallon or 110 gallon tank, I like the bigger tank. Several around here have the one with green paint were mine is silver, don't remember the name, but I don't believe they are as reliable as the BIG JOHN brand IMO.

http://www.bigjohnmfg.com/MistBlower.htm

Here is toggle switch .......

Vwxhh7l.jpg

Here is the nozzles........

VcPruPo.jpg

J1CajZA.jpg

rv0OyEO.jpg

Latest posts