Come Along or Yellow Wire Stretcher

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone have a preference which is better to stretch barbwire with? I like the come along because the wire stretcher can slip sometimes. I just am leary of the come along because i dont want to over tighten the fencing and or break it and end up wrapped like a pig in a blanket.

skyhightree1":1dlgpj5o said:
Does anyone have a preference which is better to stretch barbwire with? I like the come along because the wire stretcher can slip sometimes. I just am leary of the come along because i dont want to over tighten the fencing and or break it and end up wrapped like a pig in a blanket.
if I am stretching new wire I prefer a cum along and you can get it pretty tight before it breaks main thing is make sure it doesn't have any kinks cause they will break for sure when you stretch it

I only use the yellow stretchers when repairing fence

The best thing I have found for putting up new fence is a rope fence stretcher ( one that looks like a block and tackle).
You can tighten it or loosen it a lot easier than a come along. The thing I don't like about a come along, is if you need to let a little off. Is sometimes you get more slack than you want. Or if you run out of cable on a long run of wire.
I put a real long rope on my stretcher, so I never have to let it loose and take another go at it.

I have used almost everything over the years, truck, tractor, 4-wheeler, come along, me etc.. the last was the worst :)

I hook a comealong to the tractor with a chain at the height I want that run of run. Snug it with the tractor then tighten it with the comalong

I've got one like danl mentioned. Was my grandfathers. Still works perfectly. Has a cam lock type feature that is great for barbed wire. Just a flick of the thumb to lock it onto the wire or off of it. Probably has 30 feet of rope in it, so even on long runs you can get the slack out. Probably don't make them anymore....works too good.

dun":mwxx3eg7 said:
I hook a comealong to the tractor with a chain at the height I want that run of run. Snug it with the tractor then tighten it with the comalong
Thats how I do it. After the first stretch I wait a while for the wire to slack up then tighten it up a little more.
~Tom

I use the yellow stretcher. I have used all of the above but the yellow one is the quickest and easiest for me for buildng new, or repairing old. never had one slip. They are a pain when they are new until you get some of the paint worn off.

I strunk some barb wire this weekend and used 2 come alongs and i got the wire so tight im worried about when it gets cold it snapping... should i worry about that?

skyhightree1":2gqfmuxk said:
I strunk some barb wire this weekend and used 2 come alongs and i got the wire so tight im worried about when it gets cold it snapping... should i worry about that?
Depends on how tight, how much copper is in the wire and how cold.

gotcha... I think these next strands im gonna snug them and not make them super tight because i dont want to have to do it again.

skyhightree1":11ozxaj1 said:
gotcha... I think these next strands im gonna snug them and not make them super tight because i dont want to have to do it again.
if you don't stretch them tight you will be looking at a bunch of sagging wire next yr
I have never stretched one so tight that it broke when the weather cooled off I have stretched a few so tight that I broke them while stretching it

this is also true.... I will stretch it pretty tight again.... I wish the land i was fencing was leveled that would be so much easier

I just stretch it till it sings when you snap it. The brand of wire makes a huge difference also. We had an off brand that had too much copper in it and it would sag between posts within a week no matter how tight it was. Anohter off brand didn;t have enough copper and by the time it started to get tight it broke. I've gone to nothing but Red Brand and haven;t had either problem since. The little extra cost is worth the decrease in frustration.

dun":1qri5uri said:
I just stretch it till it sings when you snap it. The brand of wire makes a huge difference also. We had an off brand that had too much copper in it and it would sag between posts within a week no matter how tight it was. Anohter off brand didn;t have enough copper and by the time it started to get tight it broke. I've gone to nothing but Red Brand and haven;t had either problem since. The little extra cost is worth the decrease in frustration.
I have quit using red brand about 6 yrs ago and went with the Oklahoma steel brand wire I like it just as well if not better than the red brand and it is usually about $8 per roll cheaper
I have strung 50 miles or more of it and haven't had a problem
just watch out when handling it the barbs are like razors

i use the yellow stretcher, too. stopped using red brand a few years back because it has rusted within abt 8-10 yrs. the smaller gauge stuff is wicked with those barbs, but it lasts longer for me. my preferred fence is hog wire with two strands barbed at the top, but i cant afford it for all of my fencing.

I don't mean to steal this thread, but on this subject, can anyone explain how to use a " Lamb Wire Fence Co. stretcher made in Adrian Michigan. I bought it on ebay, and can't figure it out thanks! rcp

I use my pickup to take the slack out and then the come-a-long to tighten it up good. I seem to get enough practice as I have 3/4 of a mile along a county road.

We always have somebody that cannot keep their car between the ditches and so far, have only had three of the offenders fess up to running through the fence.

Latest posts