Connealy. Maternal Made

Help Support CattleToday:

SHORTHORNMAN

Reaction score
Ddoes anyone have any experience with Connealy Maternal Made? I am wanting to use him on some commercial Angus X cows. Looking for urgency that will make great momma cows and steers that will be growthy with good weaning weights

If his description and stats are true he sounds like a good choice . I also looked up his sire . I wasn't familiar with either one . The one thing that jumped out at me on both was good feet . Sounds like you stand a good chance of getting some good replacement females from the mating. Just remember, the cow has half the genetics in the offspring. A bull can only help you so much !

No personal experience with the bull. Used his maternal grand sire back in the day. Likely some of poorest feet the Angus breed has ever seen. Fertility was good though.

No personal experience with the bull. Used his maternal grand sire back in the day. Likely some of poorest feet the Angus breed has ever seen. Fertility was good though.
Ouch ! They say good feet but here's someone that has some of the genetics with bad feet . Hopefully someone else will give you some input .

I'm finding out that many people in the angus breed who claim good feet have a different idea of what that is than I do.
How true. Go through any semen catalog and they all have good feet. It's the buzzword of the day it seems. I think most of the AI companies have treated their beef bulls like dairy bulls and trimmed their feet regularly. In the process they created some real foot killers.

What is badly needed are research projects to identify genes that are tied to bad feet and how many generations it takes to get them out of the population. If you use a bull that sires daughters with good udders, he can fix likely 90% of the problems in one generation. Disposition is not as sure and skips generations. High BW seems more prone to come from the MGS than other ancestors. But that is experience and not research. Why can the transmission of a lot of junk, including the hair issue, not be researched by the funds paid by AAA members or other sources? Who is going to balk?

I think AAA would tell you they already have done all of that. I think feet are a harder fix than either disposition or udders as sometimes problems aren't realized till animal is 4 to 6 years of age and environment is a rather large factor whether the problem is presented. The problem I see with feet in the Angus breed is the epds likely accurately represent the top 10 to 15 percent and the bottom 10 to 15 percent but poorly represent the rest. My final take is breed the best feet possible and don't make excuses for the poor ones.

I'm finding out that many people in the angus breed who claim good feet have a different idea of what that is than I do.
Saw a post in a recent Angus fb group a picture of an unidentified young bull at stud that was said to have been top1% for claw angle or whatever the EPD, is the picture clearly showed that it was likely going to be a problematic situation if his type was passed onto his calves.

I think AAA would tell you they already have done all of that. I think feet are a harder fix than either disposition or udders as sometimes problems aren't realized till animal is 4 to 6 years of age and environment is a rather large factor whether the problem is presented. The problem I see with feet in the Angus breed is the epds likely accurately represent the top 10 to 15 percent and the bottom 10 to 15 percent but poorly represent the rest. My final take is breed the best feet possible and don't make excuses for the poor ones.
I think that the current scoring is done too young and is more of a smokescreen to protect promoters. If it was working there would be less bad footed cattle being sold. I know that there is an environmental element but there are obvious genetic issues if you look at various herds and sires. Lip service is just that.

I don't disagree at all but there are some good footed Angus out there. Let your eyes be the judge. Most breeders i know will send pictures if you ask.

I had calves sired by Connealy Consensus 7229 and Connealy Dry Valley. My Consensus calves were very nice. I was disappointed in my Dry Valley calves

I don't disagree at all but there are some good footed Angus out there. Let your eyes be the judge. Most breeders i know will send pictures if you ask.
There are many Angus that are scored at sales time as 18 month old bulls. Their genomic boost is likely created by scores of young cattle as well. Their scores are wonderful. But within a year or less the quality diminishes. I've seen it on trial AI bulls and it is commonly occurring. The folks who sell them still brag on the foot quality because they see good and score it for the EPDs. The major issue is the quick turnover of generations. Folks want new, shiny and better. So they keep the young bull deal going to breed to the hope that the EPDs are correct for older cattle, buy hot named outcross semen and such. Many registered herds are not proving grounds. They list a herd battery but they keep moving on to other genetics or a new generation. I call this a self-fulfilling prophesy. You create your own outcome.

I agree that there are good cattle left. But which ones? I'd say that they are the ones that still have good feet at 4 to 10 years old. Early hopes and dreams are ruined just like the udder thread on here showing balloon and coke bottle teats. You cannot cull that in an 18 month old or a 2 year old animal.

Yes the ones that maintain good foot quality at 4 to 10 years of age are the ones to be using. I will use younger bulls ai if I know the cows behind the bull. There are herds I will avoid entirely because of previous poor foot experiences. It's a multigenerational fix once the problem exists so I have put a no holds barred attitude towards it and we are making steady progress.

Latest posts