Cow with stopped up teats

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a cow that calved 9 days ago. After about day 5 I noticed the calf laying near the fence every time I saw her. So I went out to check her. She seemed really skinny, so I got her and the mother in the holding pen. Put cow in squeeze to let heifer nurse and she kicked her down. I noticed the cows teats were about the size of a banana. I couldn't get any milk out. Called vet out and he had to put cannulas up in each teat to get milk. When he took them out he couldn't milk her. Treated her for mastitis. But teats seem to still be clogged. Anyone ever seen this? How can I tell if the calf is getting enough milk? Cow lets her nurse now. Thanks

Not as skinny as she was to begin but I did tube her and give her a bottle of milk once a day for 3 days. I did see a little bit of milk on her nose after nursing but I still can't get any milk without cannulas.

diamondsfarmsc":118lrvhj said:
Not as skinny as she was to begin but I did tube her and give her a bottle of milk once a day for 3 days. I did see a little bit of milk on her nose after nursing but I still can't get any milk without cannulas.

does the cows qtrs and teats look like they have been sucked. Is the calf satisfied when he finishes sucking?

She seems to have trouble with the teats because they are so large. There is on teat on the back of the cows bag that is small, she seems to like it but I don't know that it is producing much milk. I will post a pic of the udder when I get home.

it takes a lot of patience, and I'd keep feeding the little one at least once a day to make sure it's getting enough. We've been pretty lucky with our beef cows, never had any significant mastitis.

Sometimes, previous undetected bouts of mastitis result in the teat canal being filled with scar tissue.
Have, on occasion had some that were so big, and had such a firm keratin plug in the teat orifice that the calf couldn't get any milk; usually don't stick a cannula up in there except as a last resort...usually can manage (though sometimes not without difficulty) getting 'em milked out, and usually after that, the calf can take it from there.
Have one cow here with a front quarter that has a 'blind' teat - canal is firmly scarred in all the way up into the gland; she still raises one of the best calves in the herd, so she gets to stay.
Had one several years ago that had 3 scarred-in teat canals and only one patent teat - and it was too big for the baby calf to get onto. Had another cow lose her calf, and we just grafted ol' one-tit's calf onto her and sent the other one on to town.

I noticed yesterday that the cows teats are a more normal size now. The calf seems very lively, running from me, haha. I turned them back out in a small pasture right around the house to keep a watch on them. Hoping for the best.

diamondsfarmsc":jfol4icx said:
I noticed yesterday that the cows teats are a more normal size now. The calf seems very lively, running from me, haha. I turned them back out in a small pasture right around the house to keep a watch on them. Hoping for the best.

that's good. Normal size means the calf sucked them down. I would keep an eye on him and her to make sure all goes well.

wacocowboy":14f6oort said:
I think I would bottle raise the calf and sell the cow or sell them as a pair and let it be someone else headache.
"Sell them as a pair and let it be someone else headache."
Seriously?
The calf could starve to death just waiting at the sale yard. Or be purchased be a novice buyer and unknowingly let a perfectly good calf starve to death. :mad:
How is that "good stewardship" of your cattle? I am sorry, I do not agree with this advice. You have a responsibility to feed the calf or sell as a bottle calf.
Now before I get blasted with "it happens every day"............ I know that it does. But it doesn't make it right.

branguscowgirl":11j7a8hq said:
wacocowboy":11j7a8hq said:
I think I would bottle raise the calf and sell the cow or sell them as a pair and let it be someone else headache.
Seriously?
The calf could starve to death just waiting at the sale yard. Or be purchased be a novice buyer and unknowingly let a perfectly good calf starve to death. :mad:
How is that "good stewardship" of your cattle? I am sorry, I do not agree with this advice. You have a responsibility to feed the calf or sell as a bottle calf.
Now before I get blasted with "it happens every day"............ I know that it does. But it doesn't make it right.

I see it all the time when I go to sales. The people at the barn will be able to tell there is something wrong with the bag and they will weigh the cow and sell the calf for a bottle or a nurse cow. If a cow has bag problems I ship her.

Our sale barn sells the cow then the calf, then they add both bids and see if they can get more money by selling them as a pair. Most calves end up being sold separate from their mom.

branguscowgirl":2t8nhwxa said:
wacocowboy":2t8nhwxa said:
Seriously?
I whole heartedly agree!

Thank you Dun.
I believe that we have an obligation to the animals that we bring into this world. Those who "breed" the problem, should take care if the problem. Passing it off, or making an animal suffer through the sale yard is what gives cattle ranchers a bad rap. If a calf is hungry, you feed it and haul the cow off for slaughter.

I don't spend any time at the sale barns, but if you folks see that they "split them off" for someone buying bottle calves, that would make more sense.

Ditto, I'd usually try and either patch up the cow so she can raise the calf, or put the calf on another cow and sell the mother.

diamondsfarmsc":30ur87ad said:
Hope you don't have any more trouble. I would strongly consider selling this cow after you wean the calf..and don't keep the calf as a replacement in case this is some kind of genetic condition

Agree, LazyM.
If I can get the pair rolling, I'll let her raise that calf, but if I have to get her up and milk her out in order for a calf to get 'hold of the teats, it's a one-time deal. She won't be calving out here again. She'll be someone else's problem - or will be feeding folks at Mickey D's.

Latest posts