Cowdogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Jdwest

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with Hangin' tree cowdogs? I have seen more of them on websites and youtube in the past couple of years and was wondering if any of y'all had one or know anybody that had one. I could see myself getting a dog in the next few and was wondering if the Hangin' tree might be worth my time.

Never owned one, but they are gaining popularity. Seems like too much in the wood pile to me, to have any consistency.

Bigfoot":22juoxr8 said:
Never owned one, but they are gaining popularity. Seems like too much in the wood pile to me, to have any consistency.

Same here
Never owned one but I've seen some good ones
Charlie Trayer Seymour Tx has good dogs http://www.charliescowdogs.com

Jody Mikles Elk city is another

I'm a diehard border collie guy so...

Over the years we've had a few cowboys with pretty good Hangin Tree dogs.
Our cowboss in California has some outstanding dogs that sort of similar, kind of a mix of mostly McNabb with some Kelpie, a little Catahoula and just a pinch of Pit. Really good dogs with a big motor, good voice in the brush and strong to the head on feisty old cows while still being soft enough to not get too strong on a calf.
We do allow our cowboys to have dogs but all dogs and more importantly, all dog handlers are not created equal so it's on a case by case basis as to which cowboys we allow to use dogs and which we don't. The old saying that a good dog is worth 2 mounted men is very true but it's also true that a bad dog cancels out 2-3 mounted men.

My last good one was a Catahoula/Pit/Redbone cross. He was equally at home penning calves, catching pigs, decoying for coyotes, or snuggling with my little girl. We've had a few hangin' tree dogs, and no complaints.

Latest posts