crazy worming q

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
heres the deal,we are planning on having the cowboys come in worm tagg dehorn an cull some cows.was talking to a friend an he said the worms go dormate in the winter an to worm them in the spring.so do yall worm in late fall or winter or wait till spring to worm.

thats pretty well what my buddy does,he uses the safeguard blocks.an since we have a squeeze chute i like to use the pour on.weve seen quick results with it.

Ill use ivermectin shot and alternate a pour on. I really should alternate with safeguard but havent yet.

Give it a little thought. Since the worms are in the same warm environemnt (cows guts) how would they know to go dormant? It;s always summer for them.

I use safeguard cubes in the fall . And cydectin pour on in the spring .. I really like the cubes . Less stress on the cows and its fast .. I usually buy one more bag than I need to make sure all cows get their share.. with the blocks I had a few cows that wouldn't lick them .. the same cows don't lick the tubs either .. I feed a few bags of regular cubes for about a week just to make the cows want the cubes ..

The only real problem would be using a grubicide at the wrong time of year

dun":3i5tbswz said:
Give it a little thought. Since the worms are in the same warm environemnt (cows guts) how would they know to go dormant? It;s always summer for them.
They may not spread in the winter where it freezes a lot but I can't see them going dormant inside the cow ..

JSCATTLE":3c3t9n49 said:
dun":3c3t9n49 said:
They may not spread in the winter where it freezes a lot but I can't see them going dormant inside the cow ..
see i was like the pour on will get rid of any worms the cows have now.an dun thinks like i do.

Every time I haven't wormed my cows in the autumn they get bald patches from lice before spring.
This year the lice got to the younger group of calves before I wormed them at around 8 - 12 weeks old. Luckily the ones I was selling out of the group didn't get bald necks, some of the others did.

I'm pretty sure in the NZ climate worms don't go dormant over winter.

I use cydectin pour on in the spring and summer. I like pour ons better than using the needle.

i worm whenever they need it, usually in the fall and/or spring. most worms are opportunistic and explode (reproduce) when environmental triggers suggest the time will be favorable. the larva may go dormant in the environment, but the ones in the cow not so much. also most worms need moisture like dew or rain to move up the grass where they can be ingested (unless the cows are grazing dirt like a lot are this year). vets and vet supply folks around here suggest to worm in the summer when its dry for this reason.

well i think im gonna throw the dice an worm them when we work them.an then maybe use the safeguard blocks in the spring.

as far as i know they are safe to use on bred cattle as well as the pour on.if i think its unsafe to use i dont use it.

Hate to burst all y'alls bubble but the worms do go dormant in the cows during the winter. Any larvae ingested in the fall bury themselves in the glands in the stomach walls and become inhibited until spring, when they come back out and resume their normal life cycle. Some wormers kill these larvae, some can't get to them, you have to read the label.

redcowsrule33":3czv4oer said:
Hate to burst all y'alls bubble but the worms do go dormant in the cows during the winter. Any larvae ingested in the fall bury themselves in the glands in the stomach walls and become inhibited until spring, when they come back out and resume their normal life cycle. Some wormers kill these larvae, some can't get to them, you have to read the label.

Does the same apply to the non-artic states?

Latest posts